BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 12/23/2017 8:43:04 PM EDT
Hello all... I am new to the group but been around the AR platform for years and have built over three dozen of them... it's an addiction! Lol

I have always run Spikes Tactical or Toolcraft bolt carrier groups. Well this build I decided to switch it up and go with  BCM bcg. I received it in the mail today from Primary Arms and the tooling marks on the carrier are extremely rough! To be honest, I have never seen such a rough carrier til this day... Has anyone else experienced this with BCM? Now I know, obviously this has zero affect on the functionality of the rifle, but I prefer smooth tooling, as it helps with less places for carbon and dirt to build up, and makes cleaning a breeze.However these are deep enough for my thumb nail to catch." />" />
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:49:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yikes, mine definitley aren't that rough.
I'd give PA an email and see what they say. PA has always had great customer service.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I was a little shocked myself! I emailed BCM with pictures. I don't know if maybe this was their standard or maybe someone skipped QC training? I have a no name USGI mil spec bcg I bought for $50 on sale and it's smooth as butter along with every other bcg I have ever bought, especially the toolcraft and spikes.
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:18:31 PM EDT
[#3]
That's interesting and disconcerting.  Even the DPMS that in had over a decade ago that I thought was rough was nowhere near that bad
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 10:49:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I purchased a BCM BCG from Primary Arms in Sept.  I have not done anything with it since I'm still waiting for rest of the parts to complete my build and its still in the plastic bag.  Took a look at it after reading OP's post and mine appears to be just like OP's.  First the broach tool marks in my BCM magwell and now this.  Even though its cosmetic, I'm a little disappointed in BCM QC lately.

OP are you going to try and exchange it with Primary Arms?
Link Posted: 12/23/2017 11:12:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:02:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I’ve got 3 or 4 BCM BCGs and nine of them look like that. I’d send it back.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:31:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I purchased a BCM BCG from Primary Arms in Sept.  I have not done anything with it since I'm still waiting for rest of the parts to complete my build and its still in the plastic bag.  Took a look at it after reading OP's post and mine appears to be just like OP's.  First the broach tool marks in my BCM magwell and now this.  Even though its cosmetic, I'm a little disappointed in BCM QC lately.

OP are you going to try and exchange it with Primary Arms?
View Quote
I emailed BCM and PA with pictures.

The part that ticks me off the most is I wanted to break a new rifle in this weekend with that BCG. Luckily I have 5 more BCG laying around that. I also had to wait for this darn thing cause it got "delayed" in the mail. Go figure
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:05:05 AM EDT
[#8]
The two BCM BCGs I have. The tooling marks are there but not as apparent. For reference, the top one has 1000+ through it and is about a year old and the bottom has 60 rounds and is 2 weeks old.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:21:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I expect tooling marks but what I got I have no idea wtf happened lol. It like the CNC machine was drunk or had a seizure while cutting the front section. Definitely disappointed in the QC. I know BCM sources well made parts so I'm not sure what happened there. Funny thing is, I expect nothing less for me, as if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have zero luck at all. Just like I bought a brand new f-150... everyone loves theirs... mine has been the biggest pile of crap... the dash warped at 15k miles, the turbos went bad at 17k miles, the transmission is acting up, the bed sits 1/2" to the driver side and can't be adjusted, thetc dealership damaged my driver door and they had to fix it and repaint it, the list goes on lol but that is another story.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:22:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Hokie I see you have been shopping at primary arms and got those cool little targets they ship lol
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:25:27 AM EDT
[#11]
My toolcraft bcg looks great

Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:43:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I’ve been getting all the targets. Between that and all the free shit I’ve gotten from Larue I’m set.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:46:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Lol I actually look forward to my targets from PA. I use them on the 600 yard range and don't have to change targets as often
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:51:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I have 7 BCM BCGs and not one of them looks anything like that.

Make them take it back.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 2:06:08 AM EDT
[#15]
My brother had a very nice looking BCM bcg that broke a gas key screw recently. He sent it in for repair and they sent back one just like OP's. It looks like a dog's well loved chew toy. He complained and they told him to get bent.

Mine are well machined, but they are pre-2016. BCM does not manufacture BCGs. Perhaps they changed suppliers, or their supplier is on a QC roller coaster.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 2:15:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah if that's how their product and definition of quality parts is... then this will be the last BCG I ever buy from them. I undertand they don't manufacture them and it is outsourced, as their is only a handful of actual manufacturers, but they should have a better QC and expectation... especially if they wanna charge what they do. Like I said before, I normally run spikes and have never once had an issue or a poorly machined bcg from them. Same thing goes for toolcraft. I just figured I'd give BCM a try since they are so highly talked about on the Web.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 2:26:35 AM EDT
[#17]
That's definitely bad for business if they allow that kind of machine work with their name on it. It won't be long before people quit buying their bcg if that's what they're selling. I personally like manufacturers that take pride in their machine work. I know it doesn't effect the functionality of things, but if they let that kind of slop work slide, what else has been passed through QC as OK? I probably could have done better by hand on my Bridgeport.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My brother had a very nice looking BCM bcg that broke a gas key screw recently. He sent it in for repair and they sent back one just like OP's. It looks like a dog's well loved chew toy. He complained and they told him to get bent.

Mine are well machined, but they are pre-2016. BCM does not manufacture BCGs. Perhaps they changed suppliers, or their supplier is on a QC roller coaster.
View Quote
While I am no BCM fanboy I am surprised that they wouldn't replace a BCG that looks like that!  If it was sold as a blem that would be one thing but that is horrible for the price you have to pay just to have that BCM logo.  I bet you anything the Toolcrafts that cost less then half of what that one costs would replace your BCG if that issue came up.  Companies are built... and broken by their customer service.  If this is BCM's new standard then it should be known since so many like to sing their praises after they pay twice as much for the same product they can get elsewhere.

A lot of people like to buy BCM's blem uppers since they have them for a good discount and I bought into the hype when I first started building and the one I got was so discolored that I couldn't stand looking at it so I just rattle canned it - but that was a blem and somewhat expected.  Every other upper I have bought for much less most of which are Aero have looked leaps and bounds better and are just as tight for me.  I think the reason a lot of people buy BCM isn't because they think it is that much better then other products out there but they like the satisfaction of knowing they don't have to inspect the parts themselves since BCM has always been praised for their quality control.

Sending out one or two bad BCG's like this is one thing but to have multiple instances on this one thread already is another.  And I feel bad for the guy replacing the gas key to have a whole new BCG sent with this screw up.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 9:09:12 AM EDT
[#19]
But the laser engraving looks great. The machine operator was not paying attention to his tooling. As it's a non functioning area of the carrier it will work fine.
Parts like this should go into the scrap bin before QC even checks them. BCM doesn't make the BCG, they buy from a manufacture as do many others.
Times are tight on the industrial side of this business. Parts that were tossed last year are being sold now. Local firm, a quality BGC manufacture, was running 7 days a week for years
trying to keep up with demand. They just laid-off the second shift. Parts as shown by the OP would never go to a customer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

While I am no BCM fanboy I am surprised that they wouldn't replace a BCG that looks like that!  If it was sold as a blem that would be one thing but that is horrible for the price you have to pay just to have that BCM logo.  I bet you anything the Toolcrafts that cost less then half of what that one costs would replace your BCG if that issue came up.  Companies are built... and broken by their customer service.  If this is BCM's new standard then it should be known since so many like to sing their praises after they pay twice as much for the same product they can get elsewhere.

A lot of people like to buy BCM's blem uppers since they have them for a good discount and I bought into the hype when I first started building and the one I got was so discolored that I couldn't stand looking at it so I just rattle canned it - but that was a blem and somewhat expected.  Every other upper I have bought for much less most of which are Aero have looked leaps and bounds better and are just as tight for me.  I think the reason a lot of people buy BCM isn't because they think it is that much better then other products out there but they like the satisfaction of knowing they don't have to inspect the parts themselves since BCM has always been praised for their quality control.

Sending out one or two bad BCG's like this is one thing but to have multiple instances on this one thread already is another.  And I feel bad for the guy replacing the gas key to have a whole new BCG sent with this screw up.
View Quote
I agree 110%. The main reason I went BCM was to see what all the fan boy hype was about. I don't know who makes their bolts but, I sure would love to know! From now on I'll  stick with the toolcraft or I may even give Aero Precision bolts a chance. I run nothing but Aero receivers and their fit and finish has always been beautiful!
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
But the laser engraving looks great. The machine operator was not paying attention to his tooling. As it's a non functioning area of the carrier it will work fine.
Parts like this should go into the scrap bin before QC even checks them. BCM doesn't make the BCG, they buy from a manufacture as do many others.
Times are tight on the industrial side of this business. Parts that were tossed last year are being sold now. Local firm, a quality BGC manufacture, was running 7 days a week for years
trying to keep up with demand. They just laid-off the second shift. Parts as shown by the OP would never go to a customer.
View Quote
Agreed... it does have a nice laser etch lol. I'm gonna run the bcg if BCM tell me to get bent, as I know it'll function flawlessly.

I've heard the gun industry was hurting since Nobama left office and the gun scare calmed down. Hell I buy a thousand round of  .22lr at Walmart on any given day now and it's always in stock.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:14:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:20:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
WOW!

J.P. Enterprises would replace one of their carriers if there was a scratch on it.

Please keep us updated on this.
View Quote
Most definitely! I will keep y'all updated til the final word from the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#24]
The tool marks on mine run the entire length on the left side.  I looked at my other BCM BCG purchased in 2016 and it looks no where like this one or OP's.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Pictures don't work
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Pictures don't work
View Quote
That is odd, I can see them posted.  What website is best to use?  I have been using photobucket.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Jockey James, let me know if they are visable now.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 2:05:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 3:05:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I used the photobucket app to upload mine. I still don't see the images
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 4:04:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This is what everyone else sees....

https://i.imgur.com/X9iJUvz.jpg

You CAN still use Photobucket............IF YOU PAY THEM $400.00 a year !!!!!!

I’m now using Imgur.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is odd, I can see them posted.  What website is best to use?  I have been using photobucket.
This is what everyone else sees....

https://i.imgur.com/X9iJUvz.jpg

You CAN still use Photobucket............IF YOU PAY THEM $400.00 a year !!!!!!

I’m now using Imgur.
I was unaware of this about Photobucket.  I will set up an account with Imgur and try posting the pictures again.  Thanks
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Makes me question buying a BCM BCG for the price.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 7:22:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Makes me question buying a BCM BCG for the price.
View Quote
Yeah it does! Especially since they don't manufacture the parts themselves... what kind of half ass QC or work is done by the supplier?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:05:58 PM EDT
[#33]
You can get an add on for your web browser to see all of the photobucket pictures again.  I use firefox and did a quick search for it and had it installed in just a minute or two and don't have to see the dreaded dead images everywhere now.  That said I would never upload anything with them again since most people can't see them and their price is ridiculous with better options out there for free.

And all of these BCM BCG's are looking pretty rough compared to others.  There really isn't any reason to stray from the standard Toolcraft C158 BCG's offered unless you are looking for something non mil-spec.  I am sure that BCM BCG will run just as well as the nicer looking Toolcraft one but why pay over twice as much for it to get a rougher one?  If it was mine I would probably take some 200+ grit sandpaper to it and some steel wool and oil afterwards and touch it up with some cold blue or whatever you wanted.  I am far from a perfectionist and actually like the look of guns with wear on them but hate how something like that looks when it's from the factory like that.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 2:35:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Pictures of my BCM BCG.

Link Posted: 12/25/2017 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Man, those are some awful looking BCG's. Makes you wonder about the quality of the rest of the BCG parts. Do they really use good quality screws on the gas key? Is the bolt really of the quality they say it is? Makes me wonder. If they don't care what the carrier looks like, who knows what else they've cut corners on. I appreciate you guys posting this pics and hearing the horrible customer service comments. I'll never buy another BCM part again. When you're paying Cadillac prices, you don't expect Yugo quality.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 5:59:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Assuming Primary Arms does their usual stellar customer service work, the customer will have a replacement BCG promptly, and BravoCo will find out that they sent PA a lemon.  That’s how business works: you let a vendor know you got something that wasn’t up to snuff, they make you happy and then tell their supplier what went wrong.

Since BCM doesn’t “make” their parts, what probably happened was that their supplier sent packaged BCGs to BCM, and BCM shipped the packaged parts on to Primary Arms - without inspecting each one in advance.  Why should they?  (That’s a rhetorical question.)

When BCM gets wind of this, they will probably push back to their supplier and the supplier will find out that their QC wasn’t good enough.  Eventually, some QC crew is going to talked to about disappointing a customer and putting business at risk.  Somebody may get his feelings hurt, but that’s how this sort of thing works.

Saying “I’ll never buy BCM again” because of ONE problem part that someone else had is not the best option; BCM is a high volume business with a reputation for selling great parts, assemblies and weapons, and you don’t get there without having a very high percentage of your sales being perfect.

My personal experiences with BCM have been excellent, and you can look at both the plethora of “BCM is my go to...” threads here, and in their Industry Forum, to see that they have a following for a reason: their stuff is quality and they stand behind it.

And I’ll say the same for Primary Arms.  I met a bunch of their folks at a gun show in Houston several years ago.  They hooked me up with one of their red dot sights, a mount, spare batteries, and some pointers on mounting it.  It was like I was a friend from their club - and I was just some random stranger at a gun show.  PA will take care of the OP, and unless I’m very wrong (and I’m not) PA and BCM will take care of the manufacturing problem.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 3:45:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Unfortunately BCM actually assembles their BCG and test fire each one before packaging them. From what I have heard, they source each part from different manufacturers and then assemble in house before firing each unit. They must've gotten a better deal to make more money having someone else machine their carriers. I emailed BCM and their response was... "those are normal tooling marks"

" />
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#39]
In case anyone wanted to see the rest of the carrier... here are some pics. Whoever is machine these, needs to slow down or check their tooling sharpness...
" />
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 4:05:14 PM EDT
[#40]
I am waiting for a response from PA. I will definitely stick with the Toolcraft c158 or 9310 bcg from now on. I would still like to know who is machining BCM bolts, so I know not to order from that company ever. A real machinist takes pride in their work and craftsmanship. If a CNC cabinet is producing this quality, then the company needs to see why.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Just looked at mine - It was smooth as silk. Looked NOTHING like yours.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Just for shits.... here is a no name phosphate bcg I got from. JSE Surplus on sale... they got them from J&T or whatever.... This is a $60 bcg and I have a few I bought to test and see if they worked, and to have spares if they were good. I am over 3k rounds on one right now with zero issues. The point is... look at the machine work difference.
" />
" />
" />
" />
" />
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 4:12:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just looked at mine - It was smooth as silk. Looked NOTHING like yours.

God luck!
View Quote
When did you buy yours? I'm thinking at some point they changed manufacturers
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

When did you buy yours? I'm thinking at some point they changed manufacturers
View Quote
I bought a complete upper about 10 months age (maybe buying a complete upper helps?).  Ordered it from their site.

I just shined a light on it to really see - not a single mark, the BCG is literally smooth.

Ask 'em if they would buy a new car (full price) that had been keyed - don't worry, it will run just fine... That is a really shitty looking BCG - sorry.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I bought a complete upper about 10 months age (maybe buying a complete upper helps?).  Ordered it from their site.

I just shined a light on it to really see - not a single mark, the BCG is literally smooth.

Ask 'em if they would buy a new car (full price) that had been keyed - don't worry, it will run just fine... That is a really shitty looking BCG - sorry.  
View Quote
Lmao that's actually a great analogy! They don't care... they make their money and it works... problems with companies that get a good name. They usually run a good record then start letting crap go out. It takes someone who actually cares about quality to keep a good product going. If I was a reseller, I'd tell that machine shop to shove those up their ass and make me quality machined parts. It makes me wonder, what else are they letting go slip by?
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 4:51:17 PM EDT
[#46]
BCM has always went with the function over form, hard use approach. That being said, it shouldn't be used as an excuse for this kind of situation. Pretty disappointing to see the way they handled it.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
BCM has always went with the function over form, hard use approach. That being said, it shouldn't be used as an excuse for this kind of situation. Pretty disappointing to see the way they handled it.
View Quote
I'm a function over formality type person myself, but I also take pride in all my work. When I make things for people, I make them as if it were mine. If my name is on it, I want it to look nice. Unfortunately a lot of people have the "it's good enough" mentality.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 5:16:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#50]
WOW is right!!!!!  That is total crap that BCM says this is normal.  I'm sorry but this is unacceptable, what else are they slacking on with QC?  Makes you wonder.  BCM should be embarrassed to put their name on these bcg's.  I have not contacted BCM yet about my mine, but plan on doing so.  As on now I contacted PA and I'm waiting for a response back about exchanging or returning  it.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with ordering from PA, maybe they got a bad batch or something? JockeyJames and my bcg are both from PA.  My other BCM bcg was purchased with an upper from BCM (purchased in 2016), as well as Strudle54 and they are both fine.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top