Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2021 3:54:06 PM EDT
I have a plain ole Caldwell brass catcher. Works great for semi auto rifles but I need something that works better.

The problem is when in full auto, the rounds are spitting out so fast that they get caught up and then I get a case sticking out of the gun but barely still stuck because it’s hitting the net.

What works great with full auto but doesn’t cost an arm and a leg?
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Brass GOAT

https://brassgoat.com/

I ended up buying 2 of them, they work great.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I run the brass catcher from 3bucc. I think it’s cheaper directly from them but also available from Brownells.
Aluminum mount fits on the flat top. Brass catcher slides in with a detent catch. easy to slip on & off quickly and doesn’t droop when full.
I think the mount only takes up two rails of real estate at the front.
Spring loaded bottom pops open for fast emptying. Heavy cloth bag, not nylon or mesh netting.
Never had a round bounce back in the action unless it was overflowing...
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:08:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I looked for one of these type things with no luck a while back.  That goat is exactly what I was hoping to find.

Thanks!!

Anyone have a discount code?  IM please!

eta:  Amazon has these.  I couldn't wait for a code.  Click click.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:27:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brass GOAT

View Quote

Cool, I just ordered one :)

The problem with my current brass catcher is that it uses a picatinny attachment that is a PITA to swap between guns.
I like that this just snaps onto the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:27:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Brass GOAT

View Quote

I was going to tell the OP to spend the money on a TBR bag as I like mine a lot, and ended up buying the brass goat to check out for myself instead Thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Cool, I just ordered one :)

The problem with my current brass catcher is that it's a PITA to move between multiple guns due to the picatinny attachment that is a PITA to swap between guns.
I like that this just snaps onto the receiver.
View Quote

It's super convenient and the company behind this brass catcher are great people. The brass goat "magazine" also detaches so you can empty it between mags. The whole setup is one of those "why didn't I think of this" type of inventions.
I never kept brass until 2020 with this ammo shortage. Even once shot brass case is north of 10 cents per case, so it pays for itself rather quickly.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:13:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow...that unit by Brassgoat looks much more convenience than the Cadweld (sp?) I will have to get one now. Thanks for the linky.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Hadn’t seen the Brass Goat before. Thanks. Ordered one. Looks like it avoids the optic issues with rail mounted versions and even the Caldwell Velcro.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#10]
YOU are so ammo-rich that firing full auto is an issue with your brass catcher?  

Can I be your friend?  
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#11]
As much as I like my 3bucc I ordered a Brass Goat to try on one of my ARs with a scope mount that interferes with the 3bucc mount.
Ordered it on the 15th and got a ship notice 2 days later.
Since I’m not spending any money on ammo these days I got money for accessories for a change...
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:39:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Wide mouth pool/bait net on a post a foot or so from the ejection port.

Not useful when not at a stationary shooting spot, but VERY effective.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As much as I like my 3bucc I ordered a Brass Goat to try on one of my ARs with a scope mount that interferes with the 3bucc mount.
Since I’m not spending any money on ammo these days I got money for accessories for a change...
View Quote

Dang, I ordered before you and mine still hasn't shipped
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:04:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whom did you order from? I ordered also on the 15th, and it's already at a my post office to be delivered tomorrow. But I ordered through Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 1:07:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Brass GOAT

View Quote

Hot damn! That looks nice
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Is this now a Brass Goat thread? It should be. I just got mine and am reporting back in for a brief initial review.

For anyone on the fence due to any concerns, it easily clears the mag release.

If you're a southpaw that likes retro but hates brass to the face, then this is the right accessory for you.

If you're concerned about it not clearing the deflector, or with levers, or knobs for optics, worry no more.

As a bonus, made right here in the US
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:18:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I just got mine as well, i like how easy it is to put on and off, but still fits very snugly and securely.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Will it interfere with a BAD lever?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:39:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Is this now a Brass Goat thread? It should be. I just got mine and am reporting back in for a brief initial review.

If you're a southpaw that likes retro but hates brass to the face, then this is the right accessory for you.

If you're concerned about it not clearing the deflector, or with levers, or knobs for optics, worry no more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

They did their homework on it. It's the best of the best for brass catchers, assuming you have a a1/a2 mil spec lower.

I see they sell the "magazine" portion separately now. They didn't a few months back.

Quoted:
Will it interfere with a BAD lever?

It does not interfere with a BAD lever. That's shown in one of their videos.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:47:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Bought a Brass Goat recently and I'm impressed even with only 100 rds total through. 40 rounds were FA between 5.56 & 300BO, the other 60 were 300BO in semi. At first glance it seems like cases would bounce off the hard plastic and wind up back inside the upper but none did. I do have a Deflector Brake pad on both of these uppers. I was shooting a DIAS in a lower quipped with an A5 buffer setup which runs kinda slow. I have yet to try it with my 22LR upper which has a pretty fast cyclic rate.

The detachable collection cup feature is brilliant and you can leave it off and allow the cases to fall to the ground if you are using a Beta Mag or other hi-cap mag.

The only niggle is it is designed to fit forged lowers and while I forced it onto a billet lower without breaking it I'm not sure I would advise doing so very often. Wiping the lower down with oil as they suggest does make installing & removing the thing easier.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the tip and reviews, just ordered one as well. As someone who has used a net system for a long time, this looks like a big improvement.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Well my Brass Goat came in Thursday like 3 days after ordering so they don’t mess around with shipping, very fast.

Out of the box, it didn’t fit my Rock River Arms lower, was at least 1/16” too short front-back. 15 minutes of filing fixed that.

Didn’t try it on my Palmetto State Armory lower at first, but after filing to fit it’s just as snug on the PSA.

It does crowd the mag release button but it’s still accessible, although now more with the tip of my index vs the pad. Fat fingers or gloves might have issues but it’s probably easy to file out a bit of clearance if needed.

Pros are easy on & off and it’s low profile so it slips in my Condor case while attached without risk of damage. Also handy as a deflector. And takes up no rail space.

The 3bucc doesn’t interfere with operations and still works with my D60 drum. But to use on more than one rifle requires an another mount, which I think was like $18. The 3bucc does have more capacity.

For speed drills, the Brass Goat might get in the way more than the 3bucc but swapping 10 round mags was just as easy...
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:57:48 PM EDT
[#23]
I highly recommend tactical brass recovery. They are worth every penny.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I just ordered one yesterday after evaluating whats available. My only question is using a 20 round mag on a bench rest, will it interfere by hitting the table?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I highly recommend tactical brass recovery. They are worth every penny.
View Quote

Holy crap those are expensive (https://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/operator-std-length-ar15-ar10-brass-catcher/) but they sure do look nice and well made.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Holy crap those are expensive (https://www.tacticalbrassrecovery.com/operator-std-length-ar15-ar10-brass-catcher/) but they sure do look nice and well made.
View Quote

I went with the range model ($125ish) as I didn't really see a need for the hinge. You can still bend it out of the way to access the ejection port without removing it. I ran a 3 BUCC for a while but you can't swap it easily between rifles and I'd sometimes have it move and not catch brass. This thing can just be clamped on any picatinny and works on my ar15's and ar10's. It's really well built and they use an ADM QD mount for the picatinny attachment.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 9:31:37 AM EDT
[#27]
This thread led me to the brass goat, and its head ans shoulders better than anything else.

What a brilliant design.

I also use it with my 458 SOCOM and the brass still fits perfectly in the brass catcher magazine.

No more digging in the snow for my brass! I simply pop off the mag, dump it in my coat pocket and give a couple shakes and they all come out. Reinsert the mag ans G2G.

Whoever thr first guy was to reccomend the brand goat, I love you.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:03:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I went with the range model ($125ish) as I didn't really see a need for the hinge. You can still bend it out of the way to access the ejection port without removing it. I ran a 3 BUCC for a while but you can't swap it easily between rifles and I'd sometimes have it move and not catch brass. This thing can just be clamped on any picatinny and works on my ar15's and ar10's. It's really well built and they use an ADM QD mount for the picatinny attachment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The TBRs are really expensive but can't be beat in terms of functionality and flexibility if you're really knocking them around.  I have years of hard use on a few of them.

For a range catcher, the Brass Goat looks like it doesn't have a lot of serious competition, though.  Wonder how how the attachment method will hold up to rough use.   I think I'll have to get one.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I would also highly recommend TBR brass catcher. Mounted mine to a KDG QD MLOK Mount and it works great. Worth every penny.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#30]
My Brass Goat arrived today, 1 day earlier than expected.
It snaps right on one you see how to do it, and off is also easy.

It's a little bit longer than a 20 round Magpul magazine.
I will test it on Wednesday.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#32]
The weather conditions here have prevented me from trying this out.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Got out today and must have not have place it on the gun correctly, as it jammed on the second or third shot. Made adjustments and all is well. IT held about 39 empties.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The Brass Goat looks very nice.... I hope in the future they offer a shorter hopper for us bench shooters.
View Quote

If you're on a bench, you don't need the hopper.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#35]
My 2 BrassGoats arrive tomorrow. Very fast shipping. I ordered direct from them.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 6:41:25 AM EDT
[#36]
I have one of the TBR units and on an AR15 the GOAT is a much simpler option for basic range use.

I bought the TBR to use mainly on my MP5/10mm and while it does an okay job it is not 100% in this application. Occasionally it will allow a spent case to bounce back into the action causing a jam. That sucks when you consider how much money it costs in the first place.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Sure you do! it keeps the brass from going everywhere!!
I agree on the length. If it was a little shorter than a 20 round mag it would balance better and not lean to one side.
I sent them an email last night telling them about this, and asking for a solution.

I've got about 125 rounds thru it now and not 1 malfunction! It got a lot of attention on the range today!
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Sure you do! it keeps the brass from going everywhere!!
I agree on the length. If it was a little shorter than a 20 round mag it would balance better and not lean to one side.
I sent them an email last night telling them about this, and asking for a solution.
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I just shot an action rifle match with an E&L brass catcher to save my 300 BO brass. I think I shot 200 rounds ( in 5 stages, emptying between) and didn’t have a single issue or miss a single case. Worked great...and no sand in the brass was a nice bonus.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#40]
I have the Brass Goat with about 200 rounds thru it.
Not 1 malfunction!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#41]
My "velcro it on" brass catcher has worked ok for me with semiautos.  But it's still as clumsy as all get out.  I've been looking at a variety of deflectors (like these at Brownells) to just avoid the fuss.

But that Goat is apparently smoother and less hassle than the TC brand gadgets.  I have to ponder this...

I've been trying to manage how my brass spews from my firearms for quite some time.  I have had to go through some pretty "interesting" gyrations to come up with a reasonable brass catcher for my MP5-clone.  It's either a lot of money for a special product, or you start putting stuff together - a rail adapter for the MP5 claw mount, a rail-mounted catcher - and then tinker to make it work...  Yeah, I've been working on a variety of brass wrangling approaches for quite a while.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 9:33:16 PM EDT
[#42]
I have used the Caldwell velcro and the rail adapter versions, but of my dozen rifles the configurations only worked on about half.

This Brass Goat design looks like it will work on all my AR15's plus it I think it will work better when shooting on the move, and then throwing the rifle into a barrel

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I didn't see it but is the Brass Goat compatible with the ATI Schmeisser 60 rounders or the Magpul D60
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I didn't see it but is the Brass Goat compatible with the ATI Schmeisser 60 rounders or the Magpul D60
View Quote

You can't use the detachable brass goat magazine with a D60, and I would assume that is true for the ATI mag as well. That part runs right along side a normal 20/30 round mag. You could use it as a brass deflector with those mags, brass would land right below, maybe slightly to the side of where you are firing depending on how it bounces off the mag as it falls to the ground.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Brass GOAT

View Quote

Yep.  Great design.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 1:19:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Brass GOAT

View Quote

Has anyone who shoots left handed tried one yet?  My daughter is left eye dominate and I hate loosing 300 BO brass.

Dan
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:17:59 AM EDT
[#47]
I shoot in a monthly AR precision match. Two things I did with my Brass Goat. Cut the box down so it wouldn’t hit the bench when shooting off my bag and notched it to clear my front extended take down pin.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:31:55 AM EDT
[#48]
The FTA is gonna make brass catchers a 4473 item.

6B's, Build Build Build Buy Buy Buy.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 9:59:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Nothing pisses off a brass vulture like a brass goat.

Also posting this sign at your bench/lane:

https://i.imgur.com/C4qvDQl.png

Link Posted: 5/30/2021 11:01:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Has anyone who shoots left handed tried one yet?  My daughter is left eye dominate and I hate loosing 300 BO brass.

Dan
View Quote

I am.

It's not intrusive at a with either bench or on the move shooting.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top