Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2022 9:49:05 AM EDT
Hi all, I purchased my very first AR-15 yesterday, the Anderson AM-15 A4 16" with the magpul rear sights and the sling rings already on, for $499 used. I got it from a small local gun shop, and the guy there said that it has been tested and inspected to ensure quality. At least from the outside it looks great, hardly any wear except the magazine. Did I do well here?

I saw this rifle there a few weeks ago and decided to do some research on it, and most people seem to have good things to say about Anderson rifles, generally people seem to say they're great "budget rifles" and "starter rifles" which is definitely the kind I'm looking for. People also praise them for their reliability. Plus they're made in my home state and that's kinda cool lol. Does this all seem like a pretty fair assessment of Anderson Manufacturing?

Thank you, and if this is against the rules to post I apologize.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:26:20 AM EDT
[#1]
The rifle will do its part, you just have to make sure you do your part.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Your assessment is good. Welcome!
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
You did good my man....

Now buy ammo/mags and go shoot it.

Welcome
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The rifle will do its part, you just have to make sure you do your part.
View Quote

I plan on taking it to the nearby indoor range to get it zeroed, they have a 100 yard rifle portion. I shot competitively with 4-H for 5 years, pellets and .22, which taught me a lot about gun safety and maintenance, though of course I will have to learn how to properly care for my new AR. Yesterday I bought some safety supplies as well as a boring snake and a rifle cleaning kit with some lubricant/cleaner and oil. Just cheap stuff from Walmart because that's all I could find close, but should do enough for now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You did good my man....

Now buy ammo/mags and go shoot it.

Welcome
View Quote

Thank you! I look forward to taking it to the range in the coming weeks
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I plan on taking it to the nearby indoor range to get it zeroed, they have a 100 yard rifle portion. I shot competitively with 4-H for 5 years, pellets and .22, which taught me a lot about gun safety and maintenance, though of course I will have to learn how to properly care for my new AR. Yesterday I bought some safety supplies as well as a boring snake and a rifle cleaning kit with some lubricant/cleaner and oil. Just cheap stuff from Walmart because that's all I could find close, but should do enough for now.
View Quote
Great plan. Those are fine supplies. Do a little research on overcoming failures so you know what to do just in case you get a failure to feed or anything else which is actually rare.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#7]
A few helpful links, hopefully....

MAINT & CLEANING

MALFUNCTIONS/STOPPAGES

5 TYPES OF AR MALFUNCTIONS

Good luck. Shoot the hell out of it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Perfectly decent.  Get a light, red dot, sling, mags, & ammo.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome fellow Kentucky member, what part of Kentucky you in?

That rifle should run just fine, one way to find out! Run it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like a good deal.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A few helpful links, hopefully....

MAINT & CLEANING

MALFUNCTIONS/STOPPAGES

5 TYPES OF AR MALFUNCTIONS

Good luck. Shoot the hell out of it.
View Quote

Thank you for the links!
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 4:44:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hey, nice to see a fellow Kentuckian! I am either in Western KY or Northern KY depending on whether I'm home or at college. How about you?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#13]
It should do fine for you. Pick up a stack of mags and a case of ammo. Lube it up good and shoot the hell out of it. A light is a good idea is it applies to your uses. If it's just a range toy it's really not needed. Optics are expensive, but you get what you pay for. Spend some time with irons and get comfortable with the gun. Once you get used to it and and start to realize what type of optic would benefit you (If any. Nothing wrong with iron sights), ask for reccomendations in the optics section in here. People will point you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 4:40:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Hey, nice to see a fellow Kentuckian! I am either in Western KY or Northern KY depending on whether I'm home or at college. How about you?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Louisville here
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#15]
I thought the general consensus was that the only thing acceptable coming from Anderson was their stripped lowers?
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:16:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I thought the general consensus was that the only thing acceptable coming from Anderson was their stripped lowers?
View Quote

Many won't even agree with that statement.

We all start somewhere, learn as we go.

Best to find out for oneself than to base decisions purely off of others' perceptions.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:02:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Best to find out for oneself than to base decisions purely off of others' perceptions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As I'm sure you're aware, it's taken me a long time to warm up to Anderson's stripped lowers. It took seeing and assembling them for others over the years and seeing more positive reviews eventually outweighing negative reviews for me to finally test the waters myself. I'm quite pleased with their lowers at the moment (on visual inspection), but I'd never even consider getting an Anderson LPK.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

>but I'd never even consider getting an Anderson LPK.
View Quote

I hear you man.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:20:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I hear you man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you man.

I believe you mentioned before that their carbine receiver extensions are good and possibly their stripped uppers? Correct me if I'm misremembering, I have a head cold and I'm a bit foggy headed.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Of course it’s a good deal. You’re a smart guy, and you bought it. That means it has to be a good deal.

Why are you asking us? Your opinion is the only one that matters.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:34:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I believe you mentioned before that their carbine receiver extensions are good and possibly their stripped uppers? Correct me if I'm misremembering, I have a head cold and I'm a bit foggy headed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear you man.

I have had zero issues with their stripped uppers/lowers and REs.

I got burned on one of their LPKs years ago and swore them off.

That coupled with the use of MIM  hammers/triggers will keep ne away personally.  

For a first rifle, in today's market, and sub $500....the OP may be very happy. I did a lot with my PTAC setup back in my early AR ventures.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 3:09:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's not THAT hard to build a working AR.

I did have an issue w/ an Anderson LPK I dryfired over 9 months in a trigger jig.  Wore the sear out, Anderson replaced it when I got back to the States.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 3:46:30 PM EDT
[#23]
You can add an H2 buffer for $17.56.

https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-arms-h2-ar15-carbine-buffer-fde

That's cheaper than you can buy the tungsten weights for.

It's a nice add-on for a 16" barrel.

Better triggers can start getting pricey though.

\
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hi all, I purchased my very first AR-15 yesterday, the Anderson AM-15 A4 16" with the magpul rear sights and the sling rings already on, for $499 used. I got it from a small local gun shop, and the guy there said that it has been tested and inspected to ensure quality. At least from the outside it looks great, hardly any wear except the magazine. Did I do well here?

I saw this rifle there a few weeks ago and decided to do some research on it, and most people seem to have good things to say about Anderson rifles, generally people seem to say they're great "budget rifles" and "starter rifles" which is definitely the kind I'm looking for. People also praise them for their reliability. Plus they're made in my home state and that's kinda cool lol. Does this all seem like a pretty fair assessment of Anderson Manufacturing?

View Quote

You did well.  Don't let anyone say otherwise.

It will go bang 100% of the time with all available factory ammo.

Does it have all the fancy bells and whistles?  No.  Does that matter for a basic home defense and range AR?  No.

Put a basic red dot and sling on it when you find time.

Mostly just buy ammo and practice, practice, practice.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Not bad deal I guess… late last year my ffl put out a urgent notification… Anderson’kits’ availability boxed upper complete and a complete boxed lower … $453 OTD + a pmag…. I popped for one… zero need but hey… ???????

H
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 11:36:04 AM EDT
[#26]
four days after the school shooting this was listed
on show me guns . Anderson AR15 , sold as a Davidson gun special as
listed new never shot , comes with the Monstrum Tactical
1X4 scope , listed for $550.00 ,made him a offer of $400.00
he took the offer later that day , I asked for any mags included as none
was pictured in his listing , he said he would include a
couple mags .  so for $400.00 i got the rifle , scope & 2 P mags
a good deal that day ,
TS2

Link Posted: 6/25/2022 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#27]
For a good time try to get to KY Gun Company.

Or one that was one my favs...Whittakers in Owensboro...then hit the Old Hickory for lunch ch or dinner or both.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I had an Anderson lower about 5 years ago I built into a pistol.  Only very slight negative I can say about Anderson is their anodized finish is a slight bit weak and can wear a slight bit faster.  Other than that, the Anderson lower was 100% within spec and worked perfectly.

For a great trigger group that is mil-spec (as far as a semi trigger group can go) get the ALG-QMS.  Exactly the same looking like a stock trigger group but the sear mating surfaces are smoothed out for a better pull.  I have one in my Colt 6920 Block 1 clone and it works great, lots cheaper than a Geissele triggers and a little less than the LaRue 2 stage trigger group.

https://algdefense.com/quality-mil-spec-trigger-qms.html
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Welcome! Going to send some good stuff your way.
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

You did well.  As others stated buy ammo, mags and a sling.  You will determine what you what after spending time shooting it.  Learn the operation of the rifle and maintenance.  I spent 16 yrs at Ft Campbell and love KY.

CD
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 4:21:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Read this positive article about the precision of your rifle

https://www.theboxotruth.com/threads/can-a-cheap-ar-15-be-accurate-lots-of-pics.548/
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 1:46:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
For a good time try to get to KY Gun Company.

Or one that was one my favs...Whittakers in Owensboro...then hit the Old Hickory for lunch ch or dinner or both.
View Quote

KYGun in Louisville especially. Best I've ever been in and I've been to Bardstown, Bud's, Whittakers.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top