Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2018 10:40:51 PM EDT
Hi guys, i bought a hoppes bore snake not too long ago and it's been doing me good ever since, however I recently started to notice that there is some loosening/fraying in one particular area of the cord. Has anybody else experienced this with their boresnakes, if so, how would you go about fixing it or would you simply leave as is? I wouldn't want a piece of the fabric snagging something on the inside of my barrel and getting stuck..

Also, for cleaning rods, could you guys recommend me something cheap and durable? Around here locally, i don't have many options. Moreover, what's your guys' preferred method of cleaning when it comes to using cleaning rods? Do you push the rod through (with the brush), take off the brush, and pull the rod back out? Or do you push the rod through, attach the brush, and pull the rod and brush back out? Is either method equally good?

Hoping to experiment with some different cleaning methods and settle on something. I still do like using boresnakes though, so it's a shame mine started fraying. I don't have a lot of money to go out and buy expensive cleaning kits or buy less-expensive stuff multiple times.

BTW, this is for the AR-15 rifle, just in case anyone is wondering. Any thorough input is appreciated!
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:11:26 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're happy with the boresnake, just get another.  Mine is still going strong after many years.  If you just bought it and it's already falling apart, I'd be surprised if Hoppes doesn't send you a new one at no cost.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 11:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Boresnakes are disposable. When they get dirty or sand in it throw them out. Cheap rod is tipton. I got a tipton rod, jag set, bronze brush set, nylon brush set for cheap.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:11:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you're happy with the boresnake, just get another.  Mine is still going strong after many years.  If you just bought it and it's already falling apart, I'd be surprised if Hoppes doesn't send you a new one at no cost.
View Quote
I'll look at contacting them. I'd actually be surprised if they sent me one, lol.. Is their customer service that good?
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 12:11:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Boresnakes are disposable. When they get dirty or sand in it throw them out. Cheap rod is tipton. I got a tipton rod, jag set, bronze brush set, nylon brush set for cheap.
View Quote
Not disposable when they're $15 a piece and you're out of funds.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 6:15:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I use the otis ripcords,they  are nomex. They work great
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 3:40:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do they clean well? Do you attach brushes to the end of them?
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 4:37:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do they clean well? Do you attach brushes to the end of them?
View Quote
Rip cords are threaded on both ends to attach a T-handle for pulling and a bronze brush or a wet patch on the other.

I like them much better than boresnakes. They clean up just fine with dawn and a tooth brush or you can spray them with shout and roll them up in a sock and wash them in the machine.
Link Posted: 11/28/2018 5:29:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I usually use after a range session when the barrel is hot, A pull thru while the barrel is warm or hot is good enough  till they need a thorough  cleaning. They work well. Get on otis mailing list, they frequently  do a half price deal.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#9]
What version of the Hoppe's boresnake you have? The viper one is really good for larger caliber, but for some reason they made it really bad for the .22 caliber. I had one snap off inside the bore and had to really pull it out. Otherwise the green one with the thick pull cord seem to work best for a .22 barrel.

I personally do not recommend using a boresnake for routine cleaning. I use a boresnake at the range or when I'm out in the field and just need to do a quick pull through. A big problem with boresnake is that while the bore may seem good to the naked eye, it leaves behind a lot of crud. A simple test where you run a boresnake through and then run a rod & patch through, and it comes out solid black. One can blame it on the brass brush, but that goes in first followed by what is supposed to clean up the bore. So in theory it should have very minimal residue in the barrel but that is not the case.

Also there are numerous tests out there to indicate a boresnake is not ideal for routine/long term maintenance. It is a excellent field tool and one that I would highly recommend for that purpose. But once you get home, use a quality cleaning kit with a patch. A good kit to use is Otis, which comes with a pull line that you can move a patch through the bore. As well as all the tools necessary to clean the rifle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:10:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
This I love them and you can attach brushes too.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:59:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What version of the Hoppe's boresnake you have? The viper one is really good for larger caliber, but for some reason they made it really bad for the .22 caliber. I had one snap off inside the bore and had to really pull it out. Otherwise the green one with the thick pull cord seem to work best for a .22 barrel.

I personally do not recommend using a boresnake for routine cleaning. I use a boresnake at the range or when I'm out in the field and just need to do a quick pull through. A big problem with boresnake is that while the bore may seem good to the naked eye, it leaves behind a lot of crud. A simple test where you run a boresnake through and then run a rod & patch through, and it comes out solid black. One can blame it on the brass brush, but that goes in first followed by what is supposed to clean up the bore. So in theory it should have very minimal residue in the barrel but that is not the case.

Also there are numerous tests out there to indicate a boresnake is not ideal for routine/long term maintenance. It is a excellent field tool and one that I would highly recommend for that purpose. But once you get home, use a quality cleaning kit with a patch. A good kit to use is Otis, which comes with a pull line that you can move a patch through the bore. As well as all the tools necessary to clean the rifle.
View Quote
I was using the regular .22 cal boresnake that they sell, not the viper. And yes, I agree, it's a good snake for quick cleans. I have other methods for more thorough cleans.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 5:34:25 AM EDT
[#12]
You can use plastic weed trimmer line.

Step one:
Cut an appropriate length piece of trimmer line to use as a bore snake.

Step two:
Sharpen one  so you can pierce a patch and slide it on to the line.

Step three:
Now melt the other end of the line with a lighter and when it's still soft mash it against a flat surface to create that flange to keep the patch that you are going to slide down the length of the line after you pierce it with the pointy end of the line.

When you slide the patch against the flange you created it will stay there and you can insert the pointy and down the barrel, grab it at the other end and drag the patch through just like any boresnake.

Very inexpensive to make and works very well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2019 8:08:02 AM EDT
[#13]
If you do the trimmer line, remake the "barb" every so often. I can tell you that a patch stuck in your new .22 match barrel sucks ass.
Link Posted: 2/14/2019 6:52:41 AM EDT
[#14]
You just made a patch worm.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 11:03:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the otis ripcord.  I am not anal about cleaning my guns, just wipe down, run cord through a few times and relube.  Never had an issue

I did just order a real avid kit for the rare deep clean and their ripcord version to try.  I have some of their armorer tools and really like them

Bore Boss

Gun Boss AR15

They also have bolt scrappers and other kits/tools that look decent
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was using the regular .22 cal boresnake that they sell, not the viper. And yes, I agree, it's a good snake for quick cleans. I have other methods for more thorough cleans.
View Quote
Ditto.
Link Posted: 2/15/2019 9:21:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
You can use plastic weed trimmer line.

Step one:
Cut an appropriate length piece of trimmer line to use as a bore snake.

Step two:
Sharpen one  so you can pierce a patch and slide it on to the line.

Step three:
Now melt the other end of the line with a lighter and when it's still soft mash it against a flat surface to create that flange to keep the patch that you are going to slide down the length of the line after you pierce it with the pointy end of the line.

When you slide the patch against the flange you created it will stay there and you can insert the pointy and down the barrel, grab it at the other end and drag the patch through just like any boresnake.

Very inexpensive to make and works very well.
View Quote
What you have is a version of the old military pull through. No resemblance to a bore snake. You just have a new way to get a petch thru the bore, a bore snake contacts and cleans the bore for its entire length, more like 25 patches at once area wise.
Link Posted: 2/19/2019 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Throw that snake in the washing machine with your jeans.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top