Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2022 1:39:55 PM EDT
For those who do, how often do you clean your bore snake? I have four rifles all in the same cal that I haven’t shot in a year and purchase a boresnake to very quickly add a layer of protection in the bore and used the same bore snake for all four. Wonder if that was a bad idea . The bores should of been pretty clean already .
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Never. I have never washed one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Nor have I...
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:21:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Very rarely. Once in awhile I'll blast it with some brake parts cleaner and it brightens it up some.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Once in a while(one to two years), I'll throw my bore snakes into an old black sock, and put it in the clothes washer.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Fill 5 gallon bucket with hot water and dawn dish soap.

Toss in bore snakes.

Swirl around for a few minutes and let soak.

Rinse.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm lazy, so I never clean them, I just throw them away every few years and buy new ones.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 7:13:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fill 5 gallon bucket with hot water and dawn dish soap.

Toss in bore snakes.

Swirl around for a few minutes and let soak.

Rinse.
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't like using dirty bore snakes and cleaning them is too much trouble.

So I don't use them anymore.

Would only use if I was in a situation where I would not have access to a one piece coated rod within a reasonable amount of time.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]
my 9mm bore snake works great after multiple years, but my newer model 22 cal ones had the metal tip rip off. It seemed to be really tight fit in my AR
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 10:28:24 PM EDT
[#10]
In the past I have washed them by hand in the sink with Dawn but lately I just buy a new one, perhaps one a year, for each caliber and call it good.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 1:01:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Dawn every once in a while.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 3:21:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Never

I have a brand new .223 one on hand whenever I feel like replacing my old one. It's pretty gross and well soiled in CLP and carbon but it does what I need. About once a year I use an Otis kit to give the bore a good scrub but outside that it's just the boresnake.
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 6:53:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Never. I have never washed one.
View Quote

Your bore snake has now become a bore hone...
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Once in a while(one to two years), I'll throw my bore snakes into an old black sock, and put it in the clothes washer.
View Quote

That, or a bucket of soapy water and hang dry
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 2:03:22 AM EDT
[#15]
IMHO OP they are a waste of money......I use USGI cleaning rod kits because they work, work well , can be used for stuck casings etc...........USGI gun rod cleaning kits do NOT break off and get stuck etc. FWIW I use only USGI style rod kits because they worked for me in 1996 in the USMC and work today in 2022....enough said bro.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Unless you clean the snake after each and every pull through the bore, you're just putting all the crud you're trying to get out back into the bore. You're also abrading the Hell out of your bore but hey, it's your rifle, so snake away lazy azz.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IMHO OP they are a waste of money......I use USGI cleaning rod kits because they work, work well , can be used for stuck casings etc...........USGI gun rod cleaning kits do NOT break off and get stuck etc. FWIW I use only USGI style rod kits because they worked for me in 1996 in the USMC and work today in 2022....enough said bro.
View Quote

Really not sure how people are breaking them.

Hoppe''s BORESNAKE, just how strong are they? Lets find out! (Part 2)

Real Avid BORESNAKE Bore Boss, just how strong are they? Lets find out! (Part 1)
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Really not sure how people are breaking them.
View Quote

Never underestimate the stupidity of your average bubba.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 1:55:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol, your prolly right. I just cant figure out how anyone is breaking the pull cord on a bore snake after it gets stuck. I just can't see it after testing 2 different brands using a 2000# come a long.

That being said, I still prefer jags, patches and a carbon fiber cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 2:03:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

lol, your prolly right. I just cant figure out how anyone is breaking the pull cord on a bore snake after it gets stuck. I just can't see it after testing 2 different brands using a 2000# come a long.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've had customers break them. My assumption usually is manufacturing defect.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 2:07:39 AM EDT
[#21]
I have some pretty gnarly ones at this point and I've never washed. I prolly should at least give them a good rinse.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 3:13:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Never cleaned a boresnake.
Never cleaned a CL barrel either.
Have a CL barrel with over 5K in bumpfire til the handguards melt off, 16K+ total, still hits 8.5x11 sheet of paper off hand no issue.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 2:39:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

IME 87% of bubba's come with retard strength as a standard feature.  The other 13% find ways to overcome this handicap.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Never cleaned a boresnake.
Never cleaned a CL barrel either.
Have a CL barrel with over 5K in bumpfire til the handguards melt off, 16K+ total, still hits 8.5x11 sheet of paper off hand no issue.
View Quote
What distance?
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 3:18:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
What distance?
View Quote

100M. Standing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2022 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Unless you clean the snake after each and every pull through the bore, you're just putting all the crud you're trying to get out back into the bore. You're also abrading the Hell out of your bore but hey, it's your rifle, so snake away lazy azz.
View Quote

So, you're saying that a bronze brush surrounded by a cotton and polyester blened fabric is abrading a steel/chrome lined bore? What do you use?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 3:37:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

So, you're saying that a bronze brush surrounded by a cotton and polyester blened fabric is abrading a steel/chrome lined bore? What do you use?
View Quote

I use a coated, one-piece rod and jag, patches and solvent. And a bore guide. And only clean from the breech end of the barrel. Bore snakes are for lazy people.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 4:04:38 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Your bore snake has now become a bore hone...
View Quote

I promise you a bore snake is doing no damage compared to a projectile backed by 52,000psi of pressure.

I have a barrel that’s probably pushing 7,000 rounds only cleaned by a bore snake. It’s chromed, shiny as shit, and still hits a 12” plate at 400 yards consistently.

I used to be a skeptic but now I’m a believer. I don’t know that a chrome or even nitride bore needs more.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I use a coated, one-piece rod and jag, patches and solvent. And a bore guide. And only clean from the breech end of the barrel. Bore snakes are for lazy people.
View Quote

Ah, so your statement that the bore snake is abrading the barrel is unfounded. It's just your subjective opinion. Got it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 9:29:04 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

The only one I broke was this Hoppe's Elite one in .22 cal. There are several complaints on the reviews about it too but not sure if Hoppes updated it or not.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 9:32:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Ah, so your statement that the bore snake is abrading the barrel is unfounded. It's just your subjective opinion. Got it.
View Quote

Do you have a bore camera? I do. Bore snakes do clean your barrel but not as well as it should be. The thing I found is the culprit is the brass brush that gets included with the snake. Brass brushes wear out in one or two cleaning cycles.

The big area it leaves unclean from what I see is the throat. However, if you use proper chemicals, you might not need a rod and can use a boresnake. I found something like a foaming bore cleaner will do the trick.

I also found the new out of the box boresnakes seem to work best because they all have this brass brush at the end and brass brushes only last maybe one or two cleaning cycles before going bad.

I highly recommend buying a bore camera and seeing if your cleaning methods are in fact good to go.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 10:00:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Never cleaned one.

I shoot once or twice a week and I stopped obsessing over cleaning years ago.

Quick wipe out and lube... full break down every couple thousand

Glocks and ARs never hiccup.

If it’s a nicer 1911 like my Nighthawk I do a little more
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 3:47:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

What an absolute waste of time.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Do you have a bore camera? I do. Bore snakes do clean your barrel but not as well as it should be. The thing I found is the culprit is the brass brush that gets included with the snake. Brass brushes wear out in one or two cleaning cycles.

The big area it leaves unclean from what I see is the throat. However, if you use proper chemicals, you might not need a rod and can use a boresnake. I found something like a foaming bore cleaner will do the trick.

I also found the new out of the box boresnakes seem to work best because they all have this brass brush at the end and brass brushes only last maybe one or two cleaning cycles before going bad.

I highly recommend buying a bore camera and seeing if your cleaning methods are in fact good to go.
View Quote

I just shoot my rifles to see if my cleaning methods are good to go. Turns out, they are.
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 6:31:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't have a bore scope. I also don't have a bore snake. I don't use them because I have a plethora of gun cleaning implements and don't see the need to change. I'm finicky about my gun cleaning but I also don't judge others on how they handle the task, save those that clearly don't take care of their weapons at all  

That said, what I was responding to was the premise that a bore snake "abrades" a weapon's bore. It's absolutely ludicrous that the poster that wrote that would put forth the idea that a bronze brush will abrade a chrome or steel surface that's designed to control the high speed spin of a copper plated projectile and call bore snake users lazy while not spending the time to understand the comparable metallurgy.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top