Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/11/2018 2:05:25 PM EDT
What's the best loctite 242 remover? I've already got the individuals screws and other bits out but they're still covered in crusted on blue that I can't scrub off without harming the hardware itself.

I've heard acetone but want to make sure I only have to do this once
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have not tried acetone though I use it all the time. I just use a small wire wheel on a dremel or a small hand held brush and clean the screws or replace them.
Link Posted: 10/13/2018 1:20:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe Henkel recommends the use of a Methylene Chloride based cleaner but you’ll want to double check with them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used Methylene Chloride, as found in Loctite Chisel gasket remover, and I've also used Acetone.

Both require hours, which become days of soaking, and the thread locker never fully dissolves. You still end up having to resort to using a metal pick or wire brush to get most of the cured thread locker off.

I've had better luck with Acetone than I've had with Loctite Chisel, but I find that it's usually not worth all of the effort. Now I just get new screws and throw away the old screws that have thread locker cured onto them.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
If I need to remove any type of build up on threads I use either a tap/die set or a thread chaser set. After that I hit them with brake clean and blow it off with compressed air.
Link Posted: 10/14/2018 6:20:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top