Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2020 12:13:53 AM EDT
I need to swap muzzle devices on my larue uu kit . Its my first large frame ar so i need to find a bev block or reaction rod to hold the upper in a vice.

Any recommendations,  i know G makes one but id like to get one for less then 200 bucks.

Thanks B
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:20:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:40:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:24:48 AM EDT
[#3]
How much exposed barrel do you have? (or can you install the muzzle device before installing handguard?)

I've gotten more service out of my barrel blocks and leather (both probably from Brownells, and WELL under $200 I'm sure) then I ever expected to.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 2:27:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
link
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:00:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I used to use a receiver vise insert.  Got worried when I was trying to take the flash suppressor off the GII and got scared I was going to bust the upper before that flash suppressor came off (first time I've run into that white cement mortar stuff on a gun).

I bought a vise block set (aluminum on the outside, soft rubber inserts - three different barrel diameter inserts in the aluminum blocks) and now clamp the barrel in the vise to either install/remove barrel nuts or flash suppressors.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:45:48 AM EDT
[#6]
When removing a muzzle device you want to proceed in this order,  best option to least:
1. Send it to John Thomas
2. Barrel vise/blocks, this holds the barrel only and all torque is just between the barrel and the muzzle device
3. Reaction rod, this holds the barrel extension, you may unscrew the barrel from the extension before the muzzle device comes free from the barrel
4. Takedown pin block, this holds the upper, you might unscrew the barrel or damage the upper before the muzzle device comes free

Sometimes you can’t use the second option because of a handguard and you must use option 3 or 4.

Edit: added JT
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I used to use a receiver vise insert.  Got worried when I was trying to take the flash suppressor off the GII and got scared I was going to bust the upper before that flash suppressor came off (first time I've run into that white cement mortar stuff on a gun).

I bought a vise block set (aluminum on the outside, soft rubber inserts - three different barrel diameter inserts in the aluminum blocks) and now clamp the barrel in the vise to either install/remove barrel nuts or flash suppressors.
View Quote

Clamping the barrel is not the appropriate way to install a barrel nut, you risk damaging the upper index pin slot or shearing the index pin off altogether.  Secure the part that’s having the most force applied to it.  Best case, secure all parts, like the MI URR linked above.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Clamping the barrel is not the appropriate way to install a barrel nut, you risk damaging the upper index pin slot or shearing the index pin off altogether.  Secure the part that’s having the most force applied to it.  Best case, secure all parts, like the MI URR linked above.
View Quote

Who said anything about a barrel nut?  I agree with your assessment and own that very tool, but OP asked about a muzzle device, not a barrel nut.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#9]
This worked well for my Aero M5 build.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Ill prob end going with the Mi reaction rod theres not enough barrel exposed to use barrel blocks
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:50:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I need to swap muzzle devices on my larue uu kit . Its my first large frame ar so i need to find a bev block or reaction rod to hold the upper in a vice.

Any recommendations,  i know G makes one but id like to get one for less then 200 bucks.

Thanks B
View Quote

It's a vise, not vice.  Find a piece of leather, wrap around the barrel and clamp it into the vise. Unless rocksett was used, it should pop free without too much effort.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's a vise, not vice.  Find a piece of leather, wrap around the barrel and clamp it into the vise. Unless rocksett was used, it should pop free without too much effort.
View Quote

Good catch damn auto correct gets me everytime, it has green loctite , so fire
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Who said anything about a barrel nut?  I agree with your assessment and own that very tool, but OP asked about a muzzle device, not a barrel nut.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The guy I quoted and responded to, that’s why I quoted him and didn’t direct my post at the OP.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#16]
If it was my barrel, I'd use a barrel vise and clamp as close to the muzzle threads as possible.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

I have that tool and it does not engage correctly for the LR308 barrel extension in my opinion.
Works fine in 223
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I take a $.50 used paperback book that is about 1" thick and place the barrel into the middle of the book, then clamp the book with the barrel sandwiched into the middle into the vise and remove/install the muzzle device.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#19]
For removing/installing a muzzle device you should clamp the barrel close to the muzzle.  I personally use a couple pieces of scrap 1"x4" in a vise, but a book or cheap paperback could work too, yeah.

For barrel nuts I use a DPMS Panther Claw plus an ebay top piece mounted sideways in a vise.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:59:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I bought and use this one.

https://botach.com/kz-barrel-spline-socket-rod-for-ar10-sr25-7-62mm-receivers/

The Geissele and the Midwest are very nice but IMO to pricey. The Brownells, the price is right but the tool has no flats and it makes it difficult to secure in a vice. I also have the Wheeler, but I only use it for light duty.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 1:46:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought and use this one.

https://botach.com/kz-barrel-spline-socket-rod-for-ar10-sr25-7-62mm-receivers/

The Geissele and the Midwest are very nice but IMO to pricey. The Brownells, the price is right but the tool has no flats and it makes it difficult to secure in a vice. I also have the Wheeler, but I only use it for light duty.
View Quote

Also doesn’t interface with the upper, so while decent for muzzle device work, not the ideal tool for barrel nuts.  The MI may be $60 more expensive, but it’s the correct tool for more than one process.  That one, the Brownell’s one, and the original RR are not.

Just something to consider.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top