Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2022 10:12:12 AM EDT
Like a lot of people, I’ve tried different products and some I haven’t used.

What’s the best way to dispose of “leftover” CLP and gun oil? I didn’t want to just put in the trash.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Give it to someone who uses it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:42:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Oil crap around the house.  

door hinges, car door hinges, garden, lawn maintenance machinery and tools, hedge trimmers...

umm .... metal stuff.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:53:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Leave it at the range.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:12:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Take to engin oil recycler.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:33:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oil crap around the house.  

door hinges, car door hinges, garden, lawn maintenance machinery and tools, hedge trimmers...

umm .... metal stuff.
View Quote

And in the year 2050, when I’m 85 years old, I’ll still have plenty of lube. ??

I get where you’re coming from but I don’t want to keep products I don’t need laying around for the occasional door hinge that needs lubricant.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Pour it around fence post or mail box

Link Posted: 4/17/2022 2:42:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Like a lot of people, I’ve tried different products and some I haven’t used.

What’s the best way to dispose of “leftover” CLP and gun oil? I didn’t want to just put in the trash.
View Quote

Dump it in the next batch of used engine oil you drop off wherever.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 5:40:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dump it in the next batch of used engine oil you drop off wherever.
View Quote

Do people still change their own engine oil? LOL

I haven’t changed my own engine oil in close to 40 years, but thanks for the suggestion. I can see this is a bigger issue for me than for most.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Dump it in your gas tank.
The CLP will loosen carbon deposits, and the gun oils will lube your valve stems.
Also keeps your muffler from rusting out.

There is nothing more pleasing that the smell of Hop's #9 coming out of your tail pipe.
Smells like victory!
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 8:59:59 PM EDT
[#10]
You can use it to start a fire next time you are burning your old tires. Works great.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Walmart trash can?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:51:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Put it on the fence and shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#13]
In general gun lubricants make good general purpose lubricants.  So having a can in the garage, tool room, etc, is always good.

If you have more then that, then you probably shoot somewhere.  So take a cardboard box, write "Free" on it, and leave it at the range, next shooting march, etc, - where you will also get any cool points as well.

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 4:26:20 AM EDT
[#14]
I like the suggestion of giving it away.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 1:32:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Give it to another shooter.
Leave it at the range. Or give it to the range.
Give it to your local gunshop that does any work on guns. They and ranges probably go through a lot of lube and many don't care what it is especially when it's free. As long as you know the people so they don't think you're giving them something harmful.
Turn it in to the local trash when they have their hazardous materials turn in, or see if there is a place. Call the local transfer station or dump, or look online for disposal. Usually the same place that takes paint, engine oil, and other household chemicals.
Use some of it around the house and car.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top