Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2018 11:32:48 PM EDT
Don’t need anything fancy might run irons or just an aimpoint.

Want something in the caliber that’s a factory build that will run.

General plinker / truck gun.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I really like my DPMS G2 Recon. Armalite makes a few models in your budget as well.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:51:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve got an M&P-10 that’s seen some hard use. Lightweight eats cheap ammo like a champ. I’ve got the original model with the 18” barrel. Current MSRP is $1600. The sport model with the 16” barrel has an MSRP of $1049. You should pay less than that though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 1:53:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Armalite Def-10.  About $900.  Takes P mags.  Add an optic, sling and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:04:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Armalite or the M&P10 would be my first things to look at. I don't have much experience with the M&P but people seem to really like them. I've run an older armalite for a while and it has been good.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:11:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I’d look at the LaRue UU kit in .308. I think you can get it for around 1600. Hard to beat a larue large frame for that price.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:51:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Rock River Arms LAR-8.

Mine has been an absolute Tack Driver and 100% reliable.

Uses FAL mags which are easy to find Ban or Not...
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 5:31:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Armalite mid length AR10 carbine is sub 1,000 after taxes. The 1/11.25 twist is odd but it does good with LC or FC stamped 7.62 NATO Federal M80.

Don't you have an RPR in 6.5? Wouldn't it be smarter to shoot something that you already stash rather than adding another caliber to your logistics chain?
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#8]
If you already have a 6.5CM, get a savage MSR 10 hunter in 6.5CM
Savage MSR
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Savage MSR
View Quote
My savage msr 10 hunter in 308 has been flawless.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 9:18:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really like my DPMS G2 Recon. Armalite makes a few models in your budget as well.
View Quote
Got one just over a year ago.  In spite of me monkeying with it to replace the free float tube, gas block, stock/buffer/buffer spring, etc. it has been damn near perfect.  Shooting SA surplus I've had one malfunction and that was a weak/under powered round.  Got a stovepipe sort of failure to eject/feed the next round and one round out of the group about 2" lower than the others (at 25 yds., so you know it was weak).

If I was looking to buy another .308 AR right now it would be another GII Recon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Armalite mid length AR10 carbine is sub 1,000 after taxes. The 1/11.25 twist is odd but it does good with LC or FC stamped 7.62 NATO Federal M80.

Don't you have an RPR in 6.5? Wouldn't it be smarter to shoot something that you already stash rather than adding another caliber to your logistics chain?
View Quote
Yes.

I don’t want the CPR that comes with the volume a plinker will see. A 6.5 would make the most sense if I put glass on it but I want this to fill the role of a FAL without being a FAL.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Savage MSR
Have you run all kinds of ammo through it? I do like the gas system on it as id be able to fine tune when I’ve got my can on it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’d look at the LaRue UU kit in .308. I think you can get it for around 1600. Hard to beat a larue large frame for that price.
View Quote
If we're throwing out ridiculous ideas I'll go ahead and go the opposite direction and say get a PSA PA-10 for a truck gun.  You'll have plenty of money left over to buy ammo and optics.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:20:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:25:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If we're throwing out ridiculous ideas I'll go ahead and go the opposite direction and say get a PSA PA-10 for a truck gun.  You'll have plenty of money left over to buy ammo and optics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Getting a LaRue isn't ridiculous.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
A $1600 truck gun is ridiculous
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 12:55:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use a scar 16 sbr at the moment. Folds nicely in a small case that fits nicely under the back seat.

Easy in/out daily
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Then you obviously have not seen the "Truck Gun" thread in the AR Discussions forum that guys are posting what they refer to as a truck gun in the upper $4K - $5K. A dick measuring contest to say the least.

S/F

Al
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:02:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wrong again.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wrong again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wrong again.
Not worth the chance of it getting stolen
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 3:20:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wrong again.
It's not your money being spent, therefore nothing for you to be concerned with.

So again, still wrong.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Windham Weaponry SRC 308. Mine runs and runs. I let a friend use it in the local 3 gun matches while I worked on his regular rifle. He ran the crap out of it in several matches without a hiccup.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 9:57:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I would not buy a Smith and Wesson.

We had a guy blow out the barrel on his rifle while running a match- he had a little water in his bore following a river crossing- TOTALLY HIS FAULT. However, Smith and Wesson was a real bunch of assholes about replacing it. The barrel, at the time, as I understood it was proprietary and they basically said, Nope, we won't sell you one...So he essentially had an expensive paperweight...Finally, they relented- he IS an Attorney but it was a major damn fight to get them to do it. Prior to that, he was very happy with the gun but that really soured him on them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:01:07 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm really enjoying my G2 Recon from DPMS.  Accuracy has been outstanding out of the box and the rifle is relatively light for the caliber/style.  I think the accuracy has more to do with the well above average factory trigger and typical underrated DMPS barrels.  Good luck with whatever you choose.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 8:06:40 PM EDT
[#25]
The savage looks to be the best bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm really enjoying my G2 Recon from DPMS.  Accuracy has been outstanding out of the box and the rifle is relatively light for the caliber/style.  I think the accuracy has more to do with the well above average factory trigger and typical underrated DMPS barrels.  Good luck with whatever you choose.
View Quote
Like I’ve mentioned in another thread I have a Bushmaster BR-308. $1300 when I bought it a few years back (assuming they’re still available out there). I’ve shot 1 inch groups with the irons at 100 meters(really need that RT-6 now lol).. good gun with a stout barrel. I suspect the one FTE was an underpowered Perfecta round. Pretty close in design to a DPMS G1. One question. How does the G1 compare to the G2? I’ve heard of some issues with Magpul Mags.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 10:35:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Like I’ve mentioned in another thread I have a Bushmaster BR-308. $1300 when I bought it a few years back (assuming they’re still available out there). I’ve shot 1 inch groups with the irons at 100 meters(really need that RT-6 now lol).. good gun with a stout barrel. I suspect the one FTE was an underpowered Perfecta round. Pretty close in design to a DPMS G1. One question. How does the G1 compare to the G2? I’ve heard of some issues with Magpul Mags.
View Quote
I've owned both types. I currently only own a G2- but looking at adding a couple others..... I had MANY extractor issues with my G1 DPMS rifles-it's why I got rid of mine. Their extractors were shit. I broke probably a half a dozen of them before I got rid of the rifles. Ask anyone that actually USES their rifles- like sniper competitors etc....and they will tell you that a stock DPMS extractor in the AR .308 platform is trash. Other than that, I liked the rifles, I might have been able to fix the issue by using someone elses' extractors..... They were no heavier really than any other Legacy .30 Battle rifle and much more adaptable than the others.

The G2 I don't have many rounds on yet, but it is substantially lighter than my G1's were. They completely redesigned the bolt and so far, so good--- no broken extractor issues. Both sets of rifles were/are accurate and otherwise reliable. I never had any issues as far as magazines with either set of rifles and have used Lancers, Pmags and DPMS Factory 19 rd. Steel. I am considering ordering some D&H to try as I have heard they are good....
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#28]
The G2 is lighter and more maneuverable if that makes sense.

The early onset issues with he G2 and aftermarket magazines all boiled down to the bolt catch actuation tab on the back of the follower being too short on the aftermarket mags.  There are multiple posts with "fixes" but the magazine manufacturers seem to have figured it out and I haven't heard of many G2 users complaining about aftermarket mags in a while.  Lancers seem to be the premium upgrade and I have never heard of anybody saying they had issues with the Lancers

Like the LR308, the G2 is very accurate for a large caliber semi.  Depending on which G2 you go with, you will get a different trigger group.  My Recon came with the 2 stage trigger and my understanding is that its the preferred.  Its light, breaks clean, and had almost zero creep from the factory.  I was very surprised by that and wont be switching to an aftermarket trigger considering most of my shooting with it will be hunting and plinking at the range.

I did have a small, early issue with the disconnector not releasing the hammer when I released the trigger.  I pulled the disconnector and noticed a small shiny area where the two surfaces were rubbing and catching.  I did 7-10 very light swipes with 2000 grit paper on the disconnector's contact surface, lubed, reinstalled, and went back to firing.  The issue hasn't occurred since and I have around 200 rounds through the rifle.  I'll be watching it closely since its surface is supposed to be hardened and I might have removed the hardening.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#29]
If $1,500 isn't a hard-line budget, you might can find some really good deals.  My rifle combo came in at a hair over $1,600 after taxes but I searched a while for the used optics and got a good price on the rifle new.  There was a lull in the market that allowed for that to happen so if you take your time looking around, you could find some really good deals.  With the recent events in Florida though, I have a sneaking suspicion that MSR prices are gonna rise acutely in the near future.

G2 Recon with ATN X-Sight HD 3x14
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:32:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I've owned both types. I currently only own a G2- but looking at adding a couple others..... I had MANY extractor issues with my G1 DPMS rifles-it's why I got rid of mine. Their extractors were shit. I broke probably a half a dozen of them before I got rid of the rifles. Ask anyone that actually USES their rifles- like sniper competitors etc....and they will tell you that a stock DPMS extractor in the AR .308 platform is trash. Other than that, I liked the rifles, I might have been able to fix the issue by using someone elses' extractors..... They were no heavier really than any other Legacy .30 Battle rifle and much more adaptable than the others.

The G2 I don't have many rounds on yet, but it is substantially lighter than my G1's were. They completely redesigned the bolt and so far, so good--- no broken extractor issues. Both sets of rifles were/are accurate and otherwise reliable. I never had any issues as far as magazines with either set of rifles and have used Lancers, Pmags and DPMS Factory 19 rd. Steel. I am considering ordering some D&H to try as I have heard they are good....
View Quote
So far so good with my extractor. I'm sure bad manufacturing lots do find their way into circulation. I don't know how many are manufactured at once but sometimes small production runs of anything can have issues until the process is worked out even if it's been done before. First 50 widgets have heat treat process issues etc etc until they find a steady process and QC that's consistent. I may go ahead and get a new BCG but it appears that you have to be careful now as some are made for the G1 and some for the G2. Hypothetical question. Will G1 compatable parts continue to be plentiful or will the G2 production be the standard going forward. I would hate a rifle I couldn't get parts for.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:42:08 AM EDT
[#32]
I've built several aeros for around $1k with some parts scrounging. I've been very pleased with fit and finish and groupings of the ballistic advantage barrels.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:58:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Gll
Have had two models, both are great
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 8:20:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Why not build one?  I have a build with mostly ap parts that eats everything, never a hiccup, accurate and done, without optic, for 700
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 9:34:59 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why not build one?  I have a build with mostly ap parts that eats everything, never a hiccup, accurate and done, without optic, for 700
View Quote
Always an option.

Been looking hard at the armalite def10. Just trying to find a simple non MI 308 mlok rail.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 10:45:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just trying to find a simple non MI 308 mlok rail.
View Quote
What about one of the CMT rails:
-UHPR 15.0 MOD 1-HP
-UHPR 15.0 MOD 2-HP

AIM has the Mod2 in stock for $173.65 shipped.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

What about one of the CMT rails:
-UHPR 15.0 MOD 1-HP
-UHPR 15.0 MOD 2-HP

AIM has the Mod2 in stock for $173.65 shipped.
View Quote
Awesome!

What size gas block do I need for the DEF10? I assume just tap out the gas tube pin and reuse the tube with the new GB? I know armalite usues it’s own length tube thus my asking
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:04:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Always an option.

Been looking hard at the armalite def10. Just trying to find a simple non MI 308 mlok rail.
View Quote
What's wrong with MI Mlok?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:27:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
nothing really, just prefer different lock up design to the barrel nut.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:45:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fair enough.

So you're now looking into an Armalite as well? Mine has a really tight chamber.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What size gas block do I need for the DEF10? I assume just tap out the gas tube pin and reuse the tube with the new GB?
View Quote
I believe it's a mid-length gas system and .750 diameter on the DEF10s. Yup, just swap to a low pro gas block, reuse the factory gas tube, and with the CMT rail and barrel nut you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:05:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Fair enough.

So you're now looking into an Armalite as well? Mine has a really tight chamber.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fair enough.

I have no idea what I really want to be honest. I’ve got all the 5.56 guns squared away, got the grendel box checked, got the 6.5CM taken care of, and have a sbr AK.

Really wanting something different / fun to plink with. It’s between a .308 of some sort, an Arsenal or saiga AK, or hell a 9mm pcc I can run plates with.

Maybe something I don’t even know about
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Don't you have a 17S? I've been wanting one and trying to see if the S&W M&P10 is an acceptable alternative. I'm thinking not...

On topic, I fired a rental Savage MSR10 at my local indoor range. It had a SiCo can on it. Maybe it was the fact that it was a rental gun, but about everything that could go wrong with it did, from failing to feed or doublefeeding to the stock collapsing after 2-3 rounds. They haven't had the gun that long. I wasn't impressed, but then, I followed it up with the 17S, so that doesn't help.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I have no idea what I really want to be honest. I’ve got all the 5.56 guns squared away, got the grendel box checked, got the 6.5CM taken care of, and have a sbr AK.

Really wanting something different / fun to plink with. It’s between a .308 of some sort, an Arsenal or saiga AK, or hell a 9mm pcc I can run plates with.

Maybe something I don’t even know about
View Quote
If you're looking for something different, maybe a Galil ACE .308?
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Don't you have a 17S? I've been wanting one and trying to see if the S&W M&P10 is an acceptable alternative. I'm thinking not...

On topic, I fired a rental Savage MSR10 at my local indoor range. It had a SiCo can on it. Maybe it was the fact that it was a rental gun, but about everything that could go wrong with it did, from failing to feed or doublefeeding to the stock collapsing after 2-3 rounds. They haven't had the gun that long. I wasn't impressed, but then, I followed it up with the 17S, so that doesn't help.
View Quote
I did - but for what I got it for I had better results with the grendel I built so I sold it.

Somewhat regret that - but used the money to build my sbr 16s.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top