Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/4/2020 1:50:01 PM EDT
Hey folks,

So ordered some of the 20rd Okay Ind USGI mags, and understand that they cant accept L-plates, ranger plates etc.

So in order to use them in mag pouches (they're just a smidge too short to grab) what is gonna be my best option?

Will the OG rubber Magpul be the way to go? Or are there other known options available for such mags?

Thanks and happy fourth!
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The Okay 20s will work great with Ranger/L plates. You just have to Dremel off the locking tab. Capacity will drop to 19.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Okay 20s will work great with Ranger/L plates. You just have to Dremel off the locking tab. Capacity will drop to 19.
View Quote

Yeah I just read that article actually lol I'd prefer to not modify but may end up doing that.

Any idea if a dremel is mandatory? Or could I make do by cutting then Sanding? (Dont own a dremel)
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 2:05:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The metal tab is stainless steel and is surrounded by the mag base. A Dremel with a cut-off wheel is the easiest, really not enough room for a hacksaw. You could maybe flex until it breaks and then file but you will risk loosening the rivets.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:07:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah I just read that article actually lol I'd prefer to not modify but may end up doing that.

Any idea if a dremel is mandatory? Or could I make do by cutting then Sanding? (Dont own a dremel)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How will you ever succeed as a Gunsmith without a Dremel? You got to step it up young man.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have Ranger plates on some 20 round Colt mags. No problem at all.
Link Posted: 7/4/2020 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How will you ever succeed as a Gunsmith without a Dremel? You got to step it up young man.
View Quote

Ha, yeah tell me about it
Link Posted: 7/8/2020 3:14:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hey folks,

So ordered some of the 20rd Okay Ind USGI mags, and understand that they cant accept L-plates, ranger plates etc.

So in order to use them in mag pouches (they're just a smidge too short to grab) what is gonna be my best option?

Will the OG rubber Magpul be the way to go? Or are there other known options available for such mags?

Thanks and happy fourth!
View Quote

If you order the Brownells straight 20 round mags, the baseplate is just like that of a standard 30 round magazine. I have Magpul ranger plates on some of mine. They work perfectly but you do lose capacity by one round.

Link Posted: 7/8/2020 4:16:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I prefer the OG rubber ones.
Link Posted: 7/10/2020 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Id try some para cord loops.
If they dont work, no big deal and try something else.
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 11:42:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Best bet is the magpuls that started the company.

Or you could make some out of 90mph tape (duct tape) like we used to back in the day until someone realized there was a market for them.

Or the 550 cord, but that's not stiff and not as easy to grab, especially with gloves on, as the 90mph tape or the Magpul (R).
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top