Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2022 2:26:18 AM EDT
I just wanted to know what you guys think a top tier lower parts kit (without trigger or grip - I’ll install different ones) is. I see Aero, CMMG, SOLGW blaster pack, Geissele standard etc. What do you guys think would be the best one to go with? Would really like to hear your opinions. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 2:30:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm wondering the same thing, but for Cold weather environments.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:23:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Deleted

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 6:48:48 AM EDT
[#3]
BEST is subjective and really comes down to personal opinion.

Look for a kit that offers NO mim parts in the pack.

I've had good luck with SOLGW.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:54:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure if there is a single "Best" option but most of the good packages being sold are using Schmid Tool lpk parts.

For more of a "Gucci" gun I have used KNS Turned Pin kit https://www.knsprecisioninc.com/product/kns-precisions-turned-lower-parts-kit/

With the Selector, Bolt catch, Magazine catch and button of choice.

plus a spring kit.

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the Sionics kit
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#7]
SOLGW and Sionics are what I used a bunch of lately and they’ve all been great.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
CMMG 55CA601 LPK.

Schmid or PSA Nickle coated trigger and hammer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Colt (rare as hen's teeth)
RRA
CMMG
DD
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the CMMG kits in the color coded bags
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:11:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And how would one determine that? All LPKs that I've purchased over the years don't list suppliers, and vendors aren't generally quick to divulge them.
View Quote

Discussion at bottom of PAGE 2
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 5:14:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Best as a kit? Schmid. But I stopped buying kits because I was only keeping the pins, detents, and springs because my triggers are Geissele, grips are Magpul, and the rest Forward Controls Design.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 9:56:06 PM EDT
[#16]
There could never be a lower parts kit that you could buy that I'd be 100% satisfied with. I've taken to putting my own together and I'm sill only 99% happy doing that.

I don't like to include grips, triggers or safety selectors in my kits as those are subject to change depending on specific factors and OCD tendencies.

I'm a Colt guy, so I've liked to use Colt parts for most of the parts in my LPKs... So springs, detents, takedown/pivot pins, buffer retainers, magazine catch and it's button and the bolt catch and it's plunger have been Colt's. Though I am liking Windham Weaponry for some parts like detents and springs lately, so things are subject to change. Roll pins are always from RRA as I prefer their coiled roll pins.

Currently, pistol grip screws have me at odds with what way to go and I've spent way too much time debating them in my mind... I've grown very tired of it. I just want Magpul to make a 1 inch length version of the 3/4 inch screw they ship with their grips, but with a blue Nylok patch instead of the yellow and I'd be as happy as a pig in mud.
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#17]
I've used:

DPMS (remember when they were the go to)
Stag
PSA
White Oak
RR
DD

I never experienced  failure with any of them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2022 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#18]
The tale I heard, back in the day, was that DPMS was a major supplier of small parts to the industry.

The Remington reorganization of their operation and the subsequent collapse of Remington was not a good thing for us.

PSA may have bought the name "DPMS" but the Panther Arms operation is gone.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 3:04:25 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought several White Label Armory Assemblers Kits from Big Tex Ordnance when they were $16.99 each plus $1.99 first class shipping. For that price they are a steal. 3 of the 5 came with Schmid marked selectors, the other two are identical to the Schmid's just no S stamp. Bolt catch, pivot pin, take down pin, and roll pins were all good to go and quality pieces. The only so-so part were the detents for the takedown and pivot pins; half of them were fine the other half were soft and wore flat immediately. I ordered a bunch of KNS nitride detents and have used those in the kits that had bad ones. I figured all said and done buying 5 WLA kits I had $23 per kit invested with the KNS detents.

At $28 it's not so much a good deal now if you factor in having to potentially buy replacement KNS detents and additional shipping. For that headache I'd probably go with SOLGW Blaster Guts if I just needed one kit. If I needed multiples I'd hold out for a deal.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#20]
You don’t always need a “kit”.  Forward controls design makes a damn nice selector, bolt, and mag release.  Buy your favorite trigger flavor, and buffer retainer. Fairly sure FCD makes an “improved” version of that as well.  

That said you can easily drop a lot of coin on your lower parts.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:23:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Forward Controls Design if the best is desired

Other than that…pick from SOLGW, DD, Spikes, BCM
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:42:44 AM EDT
[#22]
As others have said "best" is opinion at best.  I like the PSA lpks with the nickel fcg.  The reason, to be honest, is pricing, availability, and the fact that I am no longer in a combat zone.  I prefer to spend more money on the upper parts as they contribute more to the accuracy of the rifle.  Of course, YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 8:54:01 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm having trouble finding a lpk with all parkerized parts. I want my clones to look old school. I'm looking for pins, mag release, bolt stop, safety
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#24]
The last two CMMG parts kits I purchased had plastic mag release buttons  
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

I'll just buy a CMMG spring and pin kit and pick everything else.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 8:40:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Seriously ?
How recent?

Link Posted: 3/19/2022 12:53:50 AM EDT
[#27]
WOA has nice LPKs, and they have a tool to build custom LPKs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:27:36 AM EDT
[#28]
You had me a little worried, having just bought a CMMG LPK yesterday. So I scraped the backside of the mag release button with a file. Under the black (anodized) coating was shiny metal.  It is made of aluminum, not plastic.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 12:09:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I thought I was the only one. Between a friend and I, we ended up with 2 plastic mag buttons on 4 mixed CMMG builder type LPK. About a year or two ago.

I’ve had a few strike outs with CMMG. I’ve written them off. Too many better options across the board.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I use BCM and SOLGW exclusively.   Both are excellent.

The SOLGW blaster guys is a good value if you want a different trigger, trigger guard and grip.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 10:51:39 PM EDT
[#31]
LMT
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 3:34:38 PM EDT
[#32]
SOLGW and BCM are my go to’s
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#33]
I got LMT, and spikes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#34]
I have used the following

DPMS

Spikes

Red Barn Armory

Forward Controls Design

White Oak Armament

Palmetto State Armory

Anderson

CMMG

For my AR's, all future LPK's will be FCD.

For spares, anything except for PSA or Anderson. Or red barn, but i think they are closed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 6:56:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Seriously ?
How recent?

View Quote

I don't remember the month.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Huh?!?  I recently installed a CMMG LPK in a lower and there was no plastic.  IIRC, I got it with some other stuff from PA.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:00:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

Huh?!?  I recently installed a CMMG LPK in a lower and there was no plastic.  IIRC, I got it with some other stuff from PA.
View Quote

Odd.

6 recent kits from Recoil Gunworks (Jan '22), no plastic.

Curious if it's a supply/demand issue ?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#38]
I suspect that those who thought they had a plastic mag release button of the CMMG assumed so because of it's obvious lightweight, but never checked to be sure.
Having said that, I installed the CMMG mentioned above and was very unhappy with the fit and operation of the pivot and takedown pins. They required a tap with a hammer to push them through to take the gun apart.
I ditched that one and got a LPK from EGW Guns. Quality is not even close. All parts are apparently machined from billet in-house. The mag catch, for example, is machined from one block, not two that are pressed together like all the kits listed above. They will now be my go-to kit.
https://www.egwguns.com/evolved-ar-parts-kit
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:35:14 AM EDT
[#39]
I like BCM especially their standard trigger.  

RRA has the dimpled pins.  

Just used CMMG for a BRN180 and it was fine too.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 7:57:46 AM EDT
[#40]
While I couldn't say they're the "best" LPK on the market, for a good, basic kit with absolutely no MIM-parts you can't go wrong with the UnbrandedAR ELG-kit from Aim Surplus for $32.00.  The take-down pins are finished in a medium-gray phosphate with a very shallow "dimple" that's almost invisible unless you look, and the rest of the parts are all phosphate other than the grip-screw (oxide).  Even the FCG group is very usable, original style cast and phosphate, with a pretty good trigger-pull for USGI.  One last very small detail is the twelve-point, external-toothed grip-screw washer, just as it should be.  

Something to consider, especially for the price and the support of a site-sponsor:  Aim Surplus
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I like LWRC parts kits. I really like their ambi safety too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:11:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I thought I was the only one. Between a friend and I, we ended up with 2 plastic mag buttons on 4 mixed CMMG builder type LPK. About a year or two ago.

I’ve had a few strike outs with CMMG. I’ve written them off. Too many better options across the board.
View Quote

I live in maybe just near CMMG country.  And they have been hit and miss on shady things from the beginning.  Guys used to buy their stuff directly from them at shows.  But to many lemon then they tell you to got to hell.   I'll never use anything of theirs
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:20:13 PM EDT
[#43]
I like the Ambi safety from Aim Surplus.  I get LPKs from White Oak Armory.  Reading this thread, I forgot about RRA, we really liked their LPKs in the old days. I've mentioned old days twice in 2 posts, I am thinking after the AWB expired and before Obama. 04-08 + - .
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 8:51:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Cmmg has been making good lpks for years.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
That sucks. They were my go to. Great kits.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 11:31:40 PM EDT
[#46]
WOA is a good choice.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 8:13:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Any input on KAK LPKs?  I’ve used a fair amount of their other stuff and have been satisfied but never tried a LPK.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Curious to hear any thoughts on other medium-to-higher end LPKs.  I bought some Spikes kits many years ago and built up a rifle with one yesterday.  It's an intentionally lower end build with an Anderson lower.

Compared to some factory Geiselle Super Duties I have, it feels very loose and...dare I say...cheap.  It may be as much the lower receiver and its tolerances as it could be from the LPKs.

I have a handful of better lowers, anything from Megas to BattleArms EDM, and I wonder if it's not worthwhile to buy some Geissele LPKs.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 11:56:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Just got an Aero LPK yesterday for a build.  Looking at the parts the selector does have the "S" on it.  Does Schmid Tool also make the other parts of the kit or does Aero go through someone else and piece these kits together?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:05:28 AM EDT
[#50]
[b]Originally Posted By
I live in maybe just near CMMG ]country.  And they have been hit and miss on shady things from the beginning.  Guys used to buy their stuff directly from them at shows.  But to many lemon then they tell you to got to hell.   I'll never use anything of theirs
View Quote

I don’t hate them as a company, but the reason I got into building AR’s and obsessing over them was due to CMMG. My very first AR was a CMMG and it was a catastrophic failure. First 100 rounds the gas key completely unseated. After they replaced it, feeding was sketchy due to the feed ramps. Then ejection issues.

One way to learn is to have one break down in every way possible.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top