Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/16/2022 9:06:59 AM EDT
So what is the best of the least expensive triggers?
I just bought another AR, but the trigger in it is extremely heavy, gritty, and creepy.
I'm looking for a inexpensive ($100 or way less) trigger that is better than the standard heavy gritty factory one.
I do not need or want one of the expensive drop in triggers, or two stage, top tier stuff. I have those in my other AR's, but do not really need that in this one.
Just looking for a good/decent quality single stage trigger that is just a littler better than mil spec.
I was looking on midway and saw a few "enhanced" ones from a couple different brands that seem to have polished sear surfaces and then some type of coatings (nickel boron or something similar) for around $65-$70 ish.
I think something like that would be about what I am looking for. Just thought I would check here and see if anyone had any recommendations for specific brands/models.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:13:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:14:05 AM EDT
[#2]
ALG ACT trigger is about $80 and very smooth.
https://algdefense.com/alg-combat-trigger-act.html
They may have a sale for fathers day and the fourth of July is coming up.  The sale price is about $65.

PSA's EPT is polished and nickel coated, it seems high quality for $30.  
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-pa10-enhanced-polished-trigger.html
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#3]
ALG ACT has done well for me.

QMS is less expensive and solid as well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:22:40 AM EDT
[#4]
The Larue MBT rocks.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:22:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They may have a sale for fathers day and the fourth of July is coming up.  The sale price is about $65.

View Quote
I use the EPT triggers extensively as my standard in new builds, they are smooth and much better than basic mil-spec triggers, well worth the money. That being said, my "favorite" rifles get better triggers (>$100)
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:27:39 AM EDT
[#6]
So the AimSurplus SSAT triggers are typically around $80 direct from them.  These are made by Rise (that makes most aftermarket triggers).  This line is like the 140 series and it's not perfect, but is in fact 95% the same trigger as many other "brands" of $130-160 triggers.  The CMCs are often around $100 or slightly over also, not made my Rise, well rounded and super reliable triggers that work in everything.

I have maybe 10 types of triggers currently and if I starting over I would run CMCs in my truck type guns and the Rise 535 (value, it is similar to other $200-300 triggers) in most of the rest guns and I'd still keep the AR Golds in my competition type guns.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Larue MBT's
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 2:13:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I just bought another AR, but the trigger in it is extremely heavy, gritty, and creepy.
I'm looking for a inexpensive ($100 or way less) trigger that is better than the standard heavy gritty factory one.
I do not need or want one of the expensive drop in triggers, or two stage, top tier stuff. I have those in my other AR's, but do not really need that in this one.
Just looking for a good/decent quality single stage trigger that is just a littler better than mil spec.
I was looking on midway and saw a few "enhanced" ones from a couple different brands that seem to have polished sear surfaces and then some type of coatings (nickel boron or something similar) for around $65-$70 ish.
I think something like that would be about what I am looking for. Just thought I would check here and see if anyone had any recommendations for specific brands/models.
View Quote

ALG ACT and done.  Like a lot have said already.  The ACT is the best under $100 trigger you can get that is a simple basic improved milspec trigger.  If you don't want to spend that much, the QMS is just as good without the nickel boron coating.

And I'm a trigger snob.... LOL.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 2:57:32 PM EDT
[#10]
ALG ACT all things…
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
MBT, no question.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

These two are what I have as well.   I have a bunch of the PSA’s…they are fine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I haven't used the ACT, I used to get the G2S when they would go on sale for $99. Most recently I got the LaRue MBT. Find some friends that want one and get them for $80
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 5:44:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I've used BCM's and PSA's "enhanced" triggers and they both seemed like solid improvements over most milspec triggers. Any of the improved and coated triggers should really fit what you're looking for. If you start pushing things up towards your $100 cap I'd spend the money on an mbt though.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

That PSA trigger looks like exactly what I am looking for, the price makes it even better. Sadly they are out of stock.

I will keep a watch on the ALG ACT and see if they have a sale. If/when they do, I will most likely pick one up, unless something else comes along.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:39:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That PSA trigger looks like exactly what I am looking for, the price makes it even better. Sadly they are out of stock.

I will keep a watch on the ALG ACT and see if they have a sale. If/when they do, I will most likely pick one up, unless something else comes along.
View Quote

@Jeeps-And-Guns

These may be of interest to you?
TOMS TACTICAL

RIGHT TO BEAR

I have no personal experience with either, but many compare them to the ACT and claim a pretty even match.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Larue MBT's
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Larue MBT rocks.
View Quote

2nd ed 6thed  i’ve put it in all my ARs.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#19]
The PSA enhanced is pretty good for the money. Most of mine have G triggers.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#20]
MBT
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 9:33:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Larue MBT's
View Quote

If you pay more than $50 but can't pay over $100, there's really only one choice AFAIK.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The Larue MBT rocks.
View Quote

Unless you just really want milspec with a 7lb pull, this is the primary answer.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 10:17:25 PM EDT
[#23]
LaRue MBT, without question
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:43:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So the AimSurplus SSAT triggers are typically around $80 direct from them.  These are made by Rise (that makes most aftermarket triggers).  This line is like the 140 series and it's not perfect, but is in fact 95% the same trigger as many other "brands" of $130-160 triggers.  The CMCs are often around $100 or slightly over also, not made my Rise, well rounded and super reliable triggers that work in everything.

I have maybe 10 types of triggers currently and if I starting over I would run CMCs in my truck type guns and the Rise 535 (value, it is similar to other $200-300 triggers) in most of the rest guns and I'd still keep the AR Golds in my competition type guns.
View Quote

+1

CMC and Hiperfire EDT have been two of my favorite in feel and function.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 12:26:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Rise blitz is amazing
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:17:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every CMC I ever owned felt like hot garbage.  But you are correct on the AR-gold.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:30:58 AM EDT
[#27]
The Larue MBT-1 is the best milspec duty type trigger for the $. When in stock its better than anything from ALG or CMC
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 7:35:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The Larue MBT-1 is the best milspec duty type trigger for the $. When in stock its better than anything from ALG or CMC
View Quote

I wouldnt consider an mbt-1 "milspec", but regardless, you made an interesting statement. Most people seem to hate the single stage mbt. Not judging you. I only have the 2 stage. It just seems like everyone who's bought the single stage doesn't like it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 7:55:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

ALG ACT is very nice for the money spent. Others are the BCM PNT, Spikes Battle trigger, or the Sionics Weapon Systems Enhanced.

I use their LPK when building rifles. For $90 you cannot go wrong. Spend $60 on a trigger, or $90 on a LPK... that'll get you an ambi-selector AND some spare parts. (I call them rifle seeds)

https://sionicsweaponsystems.com/product-category/parts/
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 8:21:52 PM EDT
[#30]
To all who say MBT... where can you find them now?  Larue  is sold out of all but one style, curved 2 stage... and mbt single stage is discontinued
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Larue MBT's
View Quote

I know of nothing else better for the money.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 8:55:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
To all who say MBT... where can you find them now?  Larue  is sold out of all but one style, curved 2 stage... and mbt single stage is discontinued
View Quote

Watch the EE, commonplace.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Every CMC I ever owned felt like hot garbage.
View Quote

Damnit!
Don't tell me that, had bought one of their 2.5 lb. triggers a few months ago for my 22" barrel 308 build.

Oh well, isn't the first drop-in AR trigger I've been a sucker for...
Latest was a Velocity Steel Case, JFC, I've operated 75 year old farm machinery levers that felt better.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Damnit!
Don't tell me that, had bought one of their 2.5 lb. triggers a few months ago for my 22" barrel 308 build.

Latest was a Velocity Steel Case, JFC, I've operated 75 year old farm machinery levers that felt better.
View Quote

Don't write it off yet. I put a 3.5 in one of mine and I liked it enough that I bought another one for my current project. Just like anything else, it's all subjective
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Don't write it off yet. I put a 3.5 in one of mine and I liked it enough that I bought another one for my current project. Just like anything else, it's all subjective
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damnit!

Agreed. I love my cmc 2.5 and 3.5 flat bow triggers, and my MBT 2-stage flat bow is great for slower shots.  Each trigger has its use.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

IIRC Larue eliminated their dealer network and went manufacturer direct a few years back. I don't think that's changed. So that leaves you with buying direct from Larue or the used market.

And I also recommend the MBT. I have three G triggers, one SD-C and two SD-E's. I tried the MBT-2S flat bow on a whim to see how it compared. IMO it's every bit as good as the G models for less than half the price. I'll never drop the money on a G trigger again.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I like the RRA 2 stage match triggers for a cheapish upgrade over mil-spec.

Nice undervalued solid trigger IMO.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:13:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great triggers in my experience, but OP wants single stage.
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#39]
LaRue MBT seems like the no brainer
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:37:40 PM EDT
[#40]
I run RRA 3.5# varmints  and love them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:30:21 AM EDT
[#41]
MBT
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 8:34:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have two of those, both the light weight "varmint" versions in my two heavy barrel target/bench rifles. I love them for those rifles and the type of shooting I do with them (slow fire target shooting).
However the carbine I just bought, I do not shoot the same as those and I prefer a decent single stage. Not worried too much about pull weight, just do not want gritty and a lot of creep.
While under $100 is the main requirement, I was hoping to find something decent for closer to $50-$60. Not wanting to dump tons of money into it.

Thanks everyone. I lots of triggers to look at and make a decision on.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
ALG ACT all things…
View Quote

This.....for a single stage trigger. Cheap and dependable.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Love the triggers that come in the JoeBob's "Enhanced w/o grip" LPKs.  Still basic milspec, much better than the PSA "EPT" unit.

For aftermarket, my Hiperfire 24E rocks.

Link Posted: 6/19/2022 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I have two of those, both the light weight "varmint" versions in my two heavy barrel target/bench rifles. I love them for those rifles and the type of shooting I do with them (slow fire target shooting).
However the carbine I just bought, I do not shoot the same as those and I prefer a decent single stage. Not worried too much about pull weight, just do not want gritty and a lot of creep.
While under $100 is the main requirement, I was hoping to find something decent for closer to $50-$60. Not wanting to dump tons of money into it.

Thanks everyone. I lots of triggers to look at and make a decision on.
View Quote

Man, I've slogged my way through the Niccomachean ethics while doing logic diagrams of the arguments.  Yet, I can't make myself read past the titles of this web zone.  Embarrassing.  Sorry.  

Link Posted: 6/20/2022 4:27:53 PM EDT
[#46]
The BCM PNT trigger has a smoother pull than the ACT, which can vary from very good to pretty gritty. The PNT is consistently better, with less variation in this regard.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The Larue MBT rocks.
View Quote

In all my ar's now.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
MBT, no question.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:47:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I wouldnt consider an mbt-1 "milspec", but regardless, you made an interesting statement. Most people seem to hate the single stage mbt. Not judging you. I only have the 2 stage. It just seems like everyone who's bought the single stage doesn't like it.
View Quote

I love mine and use the heavy spring
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top