AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 1:34:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The only 2 NON factory Colts I own are a SIG Sauer Gen2 716 Patrol rifle and a Sig MCX Virtus, both came from factory with coiled roll pins in the injectors, interestingly enough, the 716 a 308 piston gun has 2 ejectors and uses a 1/16 coiled pin 1/2 long. Never had a problem pressing them in and out using a drill press. The MCX uses a coiled 5/64.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, not that it's bad, just different. I prefer the coiled pins too. My only hold up with the coiled pins is with smaller sizes like 1/16". Unless you can press them in they deform rather easily. Also, the hole in the ends is usually too small to interface with the nipple on a 1/16" roll pin punch, so you may also end up telescoping the roll pin if you go at them with the hammer and punch method. At least that's my experience, so I stick with split roll pins in the smaller sizes (5/64" 1/16").

The only 2 NON factory Colts I own are a SIG Sauer Gen2 716 Patrol rifle and a Sig MCX Virtus, both came from factory with coiled roll pins in the injectors, interestingly enough, the 716 a 308 piston gun has 2 ejectors and uses a 1/16 coiled pin 1/2 long. Never had a problem pressing them in and out using a drill press. The MCX uses a coiled 5/64.

There are actually a few other manufacturers that use coiled roll pins for ejectors (LMT, RRA, Cryptic Coatings) and I've also seen them used for the gas tube (Spikes Tactical). I believe they use an arbor press (I'd love to get one of those), but I've seen you use your drill press with great success.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Got the weights... Scale is not the greatest, but the buffers I checked were in the right range.

All three of the Bravo Company H2 buffers kept reading between 4.67 and 4.69 ounces. Though the one odd H2 with the coiled roll pin tended to give me more hits at 4.69 ounces, while the others tended to give me more hits at 4.67 ounces.

One of my Damage Ind. H buffers kept reading between 3.79 and 3.81 ounces.

And one of my Damage Ind. rifle buffers was dead on at 5.2 ounces.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 2:12:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Nvrmnd
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 2:14:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Nvrmnd
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 5:46:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Regarding those 3 H2 buffers that were different shades, yeah that would drive me nuts lol. There are a thousand trigger reviews, optics reviews, etc, but hard to find info on buffers it seems. This is an interesting thread.

So far I'm browsing Brownells, Midway, and AR15Discounts. Was thinking of picking a brand that one of those companies offered.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 8:23:20 PM EDT
[#6]
MGI recoil reducing buffer.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 9:53:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Geissele Super 42 system
View Quote

I’m planning on trying these out on my next build.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:45:26 PM EDT
[#8]
A lot of people will say it is a gimmick, marketing hype or whatever but I have had success with H2s and Springco blue springs in my carbines and midys for years and thousands of rounds. The set up works, it has never failed me and the cost difference is minor.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I want one made to print.  do you have an objection?
You also likely never shot one that was not sealed. This is seemingly a new cut corner.
View Quote

Is that a "no" you dont have what was requested?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
"Deleted" (Too noob to have found the delete post button yet)
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A lot of people will say it is a gimmick, marketing hype or whatever but I have had success with H2s and Springco blue springs in my carbines and midys for years and thousands of rounds. The set up works, it has never failed me and the cost difference is minor.
View Quote

Any particular brand you have settled on? Or just whatever is on sale and in stock? After doing more research I was leaning towards getting a set of Aero Precisions buffers in all the different weights (want to tinker and experiment). Many other brands look like they are just white labeling from another manufacturer. No problem, but I'd rather buy from the source if possible. Only exception might be Sons of Liberty GW; that company owner seems to be a great guy lol.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 7:47:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just today received 3 H2 buffers from Bravo Company... They seem to be of good quality and I don't notice that they are tacky to the touch (though they might be and I'm just not sure if my hands are to dry to tell or not ). However, I've run onto the same issue that I had when buying rifle buffers from Bravo Company years ago. And it's that they use buffers from maybe a few different buffer manufacturers. 1 of the 3 H2 buffers I just received is different from the other 2... Now this doesn't matter in the least to your normal sane person, but it drives my OCD a bit nuts when a company has a lack of consistency in the items that they brand as theirs. I tend to not have this issue with Colt parts for the most part, but Colt buffers usually aren't cheap so I sometimes take chances with other brands.

Anyways, here are some pictures of the Bravo Company H2 buffers. You will notice that the one "off" buffer is a darker gold-ish anodizing, has a different more opaque rubber bumper on the back, has a different H2 stamp along with a bigger dimple on the buffer face and uses a coiled roll pin instead of a split roll pin as on the other buffers.

https://i.imgur.com/xKe6ylVl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2yfEyGul.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7phLEFrl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RA69KhOl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/z7LjNDTl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qpmueHSl.jpg
View Quote

Found out from tdp hardcoat on ar15 parts is about .001", called around to find out what plating houses are actually applying to the parts. From my discussions, it seems certain the yellow buffer body in the photo you posted is to spec, and the more silver ones are not.

I flirt with buying my own probe to measure hardcoat thickness but they are soo exp.  
https://www.defelsko.com/positector-6000
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 10:05:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Found out from tdp hardcoat on ar15 parts is about .001", called around to find out what plating houses are actually applying to the parts. From my discussions, it seems certain the yellow buffer body in the photo you posted is to spec, and the more silver ones are not.

I flirt with buying my own probe to measure hardcoat thickness but they are soo exp.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just today received 3 H2 buffers from Bravo Company... They seem to be of good quality and I don't notice that they are tacky to the touch (though they might be and I'm just not sure if my hands are to dry to tell or not ). However, I've run onto the same issue that I had when buying rifle buffers from Bravo Company years ago. And it's that they use buffers from maybe a few different buffer manufacturers. 1 of the 3 H2 buffers I just received is different from the other 2... Now this doesn't matter in the least to your normal sane person, but it drives my OCD a bit nuts when a company has a lack of consistency in the items that they brand as theirs. I tend to not have this issue with Colt parts for the most part, but Colt buffers usually aren't cheap so I sometimes take chances with other brands.

Anyways, here are some pictures of the Bravo Company H2 buffers. You will notice that the one "off" buffer is a darker gold-ish anodizing, has a different more opaque rubber bumper on the back, has a different H2 stamp along with a bigger dimple on the buffer face and uses a coiled roll pin instead of a split roll pin as on the other buffers.

https://i.imgur.com/xKe6ylVl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2yfEyGul.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7phLEFrl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/RA69KhOl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/z7LjNDTl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/qpmueHSl.jpg

Interesting, I was assuming that the darker colored one was more to the spec (at least as far as finish) just because it seemed like 15 or 20 years ago that was more of the standard color for most buffers. The lighter colors seem to be more of a modern thing (cost cutting measure).
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Interesting, I was assuming that the darker colored one was more to the spec (at least as far as finish) just because it seemed like 15 or 20 years ago that was more of the standard color for most buffers. The lighter colors seem to be more of a modern thing (cost cutting measure).
View Quote

Sooooo if default is thin coating for BCM buffer bodies, maybe i need to keep looking for that 'correct' one
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 10:52:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sooooo if default is thin coating for BCM buffer bodies, maybe i need to keep looking for that 'correct' one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No clue where to go, or who keeps it consistent without outsourcing? I haven't bought a Colt buffer in a while, but I believe they might even be a tad on the lighter shade finish wise. If I remember right, the last Colt rifle buffers I bought are a shade in between the lighter and darker BCM H2 buffers I posted here.

The Vltor A5H2 buffers I have are the darkest of the bunch, but that's Gucci gun stuff so you'd expect that it's probably got the best finish quality.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:29:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Geissele Super 42 system
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2023 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No clue where to go, or who keeps it consistent without outsourcing? I haven't bought a Colt buffer in a while, but I believe they might even be a tad on the lighter shade finish wise. If I remember right, the last Colt rifle buffers I bought are a shade in between the lighter and darker BCM H2 buffers I posted here.

The Vltor A5H2 buffers I have are the darkest of the bunch, but that's Gucci gun stuff so you'd expect that it's probably got the best finish quality.
View Quote

Would you, though? Ive measured .0006" finish on a G lower. I don't trust any of these companies.
Link Posted: 4/22/2023 12:43:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Would you, though? Ive measured .0006" finish on a G lower. I don't trust any of these companies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah it's hard to say. I'm only going by color on those Vltor buffers.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 10:08:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Colt period,screw aftermarket.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:08:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Got the Sprinco complete set. Yellow, White, White/Red, Blue, & Red (think I'm remembering them all correctly... They're all laying on my bench at home).

Went with Aero P. for the buffers, and got H through H3. Just wanted to fiddle around with different combinations. Aero's are are all consistent in finish on mine.

Was going to also get a Tubb flat spring to also play around with, but they were out of stock, and 5 Springco springs was already probably excessive as it was lol.

Think I will forgo the Geissele system. Just for kicks and giggles I'd probably try the A5 system before the Geissele. And even then... That's probably not what my next set of available dollars will go towards. There are alot of fun barrels and triggers I'd like to play with...

Too many toys... And not enough dollars and time...
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:34:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Colt period,screw aftermarket.
View Quote

I bought two colt tubes circa 2016 they had the worst toolmarks in the bore ever.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:35:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Nvm
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Any particular brand you have settled on? Or just whatever is on sale and in stock? After doing more research I was leaning towards getting a set of Aero Precisions buffers in all the different weights (want to tinker and experiment). Many other brands look like they are just white labeling from another manufacturer. No problem, but I'd rather buy from the source if possible. Only exception might be Sons of Liberty GW; that company owner seems to be a great guy lol.
View Quote

I was gonna use BCM cept for the coating concern. I might buy some anyway but check coating. I put a couple videos up of checking hardcoat on a couple of receivers and a t2
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 2:39:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just received this new Aero Precision H buffer from Brownells. It feels very slick, slippery to the touch with no oil.
https://i.imgur.com/J30g6FO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/jN5HbYU.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/NKPrNyK.jpg
View Quote

This looks JUUST like the darker bcm

Edit dude already said so DOH
Although bcm bumper more opaque
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 3:14:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have Slash buffers in a few rifles. Send him an email from one of his ads in the EE. Tell him the particulars of your build. Caliber/gas length/barrel length. He will recommend the buffer and spring you will need.
I have of his set ups in rifles. They have functioned 100% from round 1.

I have Spikes H3 buffers in a few rifles. They work great also.
View Quote

Came in to recommend Slashes buffers,  not cheap, but one excellent machined piece of work.

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Came in to recommend Slashes buffers,  not cheap, but one excellent machined piece of work.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have Slash buffers in a few rifles. Send him an email from one of his ads in the EE. Tell him the particulars of your build. Caliber/gas length/barrel length. He will recommend the buffer and spring you will need.
I have of his set ups in rifles. They have functioned 100% from round 1.

I have Spikes H3 buffers in a few rifles. They work great also.

Those are very pretty. I would never use one, I like the standard parts - just need em done to print. It's not just the coating either. Bumpers don't seem to meet Print dimensionally.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:02:05 PM EDT
[#27]
I HATE the h1 stamp.
Here it is again, just like BCM and Aero, sold as Colt

https://highplainsarmament.com/product/colt-h-buffer-carbine/.

I dint like the dimple in the center either, thats where the stamp goes. Seens like a lazy way to remove the stem or whatever they call the nipple when you part off the part.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I dint like the dimple in the center either, thats where the stamp goes. Seens like a lazy way to remove the stem or whatever they call the nipple when you part off the part.
View Quote
Print allows it :-)
ETA:  And the funny part is that a bump there wouldn’t contact anything….
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's allowed, but none of mine have it. And the photos show it on the big side if not oversized.

A stub might get in the way of assembly

Additionally it says marking to be centrally located within .050" boundary, and this engraving is NEITHER. I can see a toolmark between the H and the 1 than is proportionally larger than the 1/2 circle on print, and it's centainly not centeres. Let's just agree the whole thing is lazy.

What's with the bumper color:

Link Posted: 5/2/2023 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#30]
I have no idea about sealed, but V Seven buffers are the slickest I've run across. Very quiet too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 1:59:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I’m hoping someone in this thread can help me out. Seems like there is some good information here but haven’t seen what I’m looking for.
I’m attempting to build a precision rifle out of my ar15 pistol lower. I’ve decided and have already purchased a
6.5 Grendel complete upper with 20 inch stainless barrel, rifle length gas system and .750 gas block. Planning to put a FAB Defense RAP stock on it.
My question is, where should I start with a buffer, tube and spring. I realize that I will most likely have to tweak the weights some but I need a starting point.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I’m hoping someone in this thread can help me out. Seems like there is some good information here but haven’t seen what I’m looking for.
I’m attempting to build a precision rifle out of my ar15 pistol lower. I’ve decided and have already purchased a
6.5 Grendel complete upper with 20 inch stainless barrel, rifle length gas system and .750 gas block. Planning to put a FAB Defense RAP stock on it.
My question is, where should I start with a buffer, tube and spring. I realize that I will most likely have to tweak the weights some but I need a starting point.
View Quote

I don't know anything about 6.5. Most of these guys will probably disagree with me... for 5.56. I buy a colt cabine spring and h buffer. The tube question, im tryna figure out myself whats the best milspec tube is, but i know the lmt 6position tube with dry film lube inside and out is supposed to be great
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
[…] have already purchased a 6.5 Grendel complete upper […] where should I start with a buffer, tube and spring
View Quote
You might do well to ask your question over in the “AR Variants” forum. Lots of other-caliber knowledge there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 5:08:26 PM EDT
[#34]
You can buy tungsten weights and convert your own buffer to H1,2,3 or whatever you want.  I bought a bunch of tungsten weights, and a stamping kit (numbers and letters) from Harbor Freight.  Drive the roll pin out of your existing buffer, and swap in the weight of tungsten buffers you want to create your own H1, H2, or H3 buffers.  Then use the stamping kit to stamp the correct designation onto the face of the buffer.  There are places other than Ebay that sell the tungsten weights if you do an internet search.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks guys for your answers. I think I’m going to buy a rifle length tube and spring then just tinker with the weights. I will also try that other forum to see what other ideas they may have.
This chatting and posting is all new to me so I’m kinda lost on this site. There are a lot of different places on here to visit.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 9:25:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Thanks guys for your answers. I think I’m going to buy a rifle length tube and spring then just tinker with the weights. I will also try that other forum to see what other ideas they may have.
This chatting and posting is all new to me so I’m kinda lost on this site. There are a lot of different places on here to visit.
View Quote

@H20resqu

A couple of links that may be of interest:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/precision-rifles/

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/AR-Variants/121/
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think I’m going to buy a rifle length tube and spring
View Quote
And I’d bet that’ll work just fine. Don’t forget the rifle-length buffer — they’re different from the now more common carbine version.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#38]
And again thanks guys for the help. I was wondering about the buffer. I thought it was different. Just figured I’d look at that when I looked to buy. I’ll check out those links also. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 8:10:55 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have a two 20" 6.5 Grendels.  I use a rifle length buffer system with a Luth MBA-2 rifle stock.  Smooth shooters.  I do have an adjustable GB on one and it is especially smooth when tuned.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:19:29 AM EDT
[#40]
PSA. Sub 50 rounds:

Attachment Attached File

Damn.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 9:58:32 AM EDT
[#41]

Wow, imagine how many buffers this might be effecting. I can't imagine that there are many people that check their buffers enough to find out.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#42]

Always wondered about that pick.
Glad you posted the pic as I had forgotten to cull out the shiny buffer with the white tip from back when I noticed the thread that pic was on.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Wow, imagine how many buffers this might be effecting. I can't imagine that there are many people that check their buffers enough to find out.
View Quote

Quoted:

Always wondered about that pick. Here are three buffers I have bought different times. Left and middle are unmarked and marked PSA. The shiny black one on the right with the really white bumper came out of a discount stock I bought somewhere else that appeared to have some import parts. Even the receiver extension was out of the ordinary with all the holes drilled in it. My PSA stocks have a logo on the side also. Glad you posted the pic as I had forgotten to cull out the shiny buffer with the white tip from back when I noticed the thread that pic was on.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1642/bfers2_JPG-2808690.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1642/buffers_JPG-2808691.JPG
View Quote

I'm pretty certain that I have 2 in a parts box that'll have to go.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 4:53:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Geissele Super 42 system
View Quote

This! I have 5 of them in my midlengths.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you can find one.   I was looking around for one.   I picked up a Magpul UBR gen2 to try out for a 20” DCM rifle.  I can’t use a rifle buffer due to the A5 tube but I suppose a carbine H2 can stand in for a A5H2 buffer.

Link Posted: 5/14/2023 11:47:31 PM EDT
[#46]
i've gotten to the point now where I consider BCM my budget tier recommendation for most parts. I don't bother wasting my time with anything other than brands I know will meet expectations. I can't tell you how many times I tried to save money and bought cheaper parts in the past only to get bit in the ass.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

If you can find one.   I was looking around for one.   I picked up a Magpul UBR gen2 to try out for a 20” DCM rifle.  I can’t use a rifle buffer due to the A5 tube but I suppose a carbine H2 can stand in for a A5H2 buffer.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually have a UBR Gen 2. I wasn't a fan of it on the rifle I had it paired with due to the weight, but my brother is going to adopt it for a .308 build. Figuring out buffers and springs for it when paired with a .308 rifle has been a bit murky though.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 4:49:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I actually have a UBR Gen 2. I wasn't a fan of it on the rifle I had it paired with due to the weight, but my brother is going to adopt it for a .308 build. Figuring out buffers and springs for it when paired with a .308 rifle has been a bit murky though.
View Quote

Call Alan Dugger of Springco, he prefers to CS that way. He will tell you what exactly you need regardless whether you buy his springs or not. He knows this game by far.

Bit of a fair warning, he does like to chat an ear off but what he says should be written down because he's passing on wisdom and he's getting up there in age.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Call Alan Dugger of Springco, he prefers to CS that way. He will tell you what exactly you need regardless whether you buy his springs or not. He knows this game by far.

Bit of a fair warning, he does like to chat an ear off but what he says should be written down because he's passing on wisdom and he's getting up there in age.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 11:09:36 AM EDT
[#50]

I tried four times with two cards and two phone numbers to order some buffers from BCM in the last two days. They are system keeps applying a hold, which goes through fine, and then canceling it. They keep telling me that the cc svc cannot validate my phone or email. But the fucking payment goes through and then they just put it back. Anybody else have this problem?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top