Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/12/2022 8:24:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: casktcrw]
Please help me find the best tool that won't be too terrible on the finish, although frankly after about 300 rounds and three cleanings my boat tail is quite shiny I don't know what's up with this finish on the Microbest bolt

I tried to add a poll to this I don't know what the hell happened to it.

I'm looking at Otis bone, MSR scraper, real avid scraper, Battle steel carbon killer
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#1]
I have always bought the CAT tool for my AR's.
Not on your list but should be.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:35:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a SAW tool...
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:35:52 AM EDT
[#3]
A .45 ACP case works quite well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#4]
In before "you shouldnt be scraping your bolt" advice.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 12:58:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Just scrape it with a pocketknife.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#6]
You want a BONE, it won't get it OCB clean but fast and safe.

BONE
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FredMan:
View Quote

This. ^^^^
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:15:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By samuse:
Just scrape it with a pocketknife.

View Quote

A small cheap folder, works great.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
I have always bought the CAT tool for my AR's.
Not on your list but should be.
View Quote

Battle steel is 30 bucks and functions as both of the cat tools Plus I think it scrapes the Smaller hole In the carrier where the tail goes.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#10]
You mean the M249 scraper tool?
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By casktcrw:
You mean the M249 scraper tool?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 8:55:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I vote no tool. Instead use wipeout bore cleaner. The foam one. You can shoot some into the gas key and into the back of the bolt tail. You can simply wipe the carbon off after waiting about an hour or two.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 9:49:58 AM EDT
[#13]
What the hell does the 45acp case to?
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:17:41 PM EDT
[#14]
View Quote

The case mouth is used to scrape the carbon, and it being brass will not wear the finish on the bolt as much.
It is also cheap...

But any large caliber case will work, like a 45-70.
Keep your eyes open at the range
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
I vote no tool. Instead use wipeout bore cleaner. The foam one. You can shoot some into the gas key and into the back of the bolt tail. You can simply wipe the carbon off after waiting about an hour or two.
View Quote

Finally a voice of reason, Agreed, no scraping.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:51:09 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

You fit the case mouth over the tail and shave carbon. The mouth edge is fairly sharp and brass won’t scratch steel.

Practically, though these are solutions in search of problems. Carbon on the tail will break off on its own when it gets to be too much
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#17]
I am happy with the magna-matic scraper. It uses a smooth round edge to carefully remove the carbon.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1014765327
Link Posted: 6/18/2022 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By OTDR:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Another vote for avoiding steel tools for bolt/bolt carrier scraping. If you feel the need to scrape, use a piece of
brass casing (I use a flattened 223/556 case) to occasionally scrape the bolt tail.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 6:34:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By mo4040:

Another vote for avoiding steel tools for bolt/bolt carrier scraping. If you feel the need to scrape, use a piece of
brass casing (I use a flattened 223/556 case) to occasionally scrape the bolt tail.
View Quote

Every time I take the gun out and shoot a couple of hundred rounds there is carbon on the tail is that normal? Is it too much blow by?
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I use a old flattened brass hook on a wooden dowel as a scraper when I'm trying to periodically clear out the hard carbon.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 8:41:19 PM EDT
[#21]

Every time I take the gun out and shoot a couple of hundred rounds there is carbon on the tail is that normal? Is it too much blow by?
View Quote

Yes, absolutely normal. There is some blow by but the build up it creates is self limited.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:52:28 AM EDT
[#22]
BCG Scraper?
One of those Botach Steel BCG carbon scrapers hit the door in the last week or so, it might work for my purposes. It's still too soon, since the honeymoon just started. Some of the specs:

CNC/ 4140 Chrome Molly Tool Steel
3.1 Inches Long
Black Ozide Bead Blasted
Non Reflective Matte Finish
1.3oz
100% USA MADE

Features:

Fast & Highly Efficient BCG Carbon Cleaning Tool
Bolt Cleaner / Scraper
Carrier Cleaner / Scraper
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm lazy, I take the bolt over the the fine wire (.007") wheel I have on one of my bench grinders, and the carbon is gone in one rotation...
This wheel is so fine, I polish aluminum with it. Works great as long as I keep the part wet with oil.
Down side is it's messy (on aluminum), oily aluminum crap gets on everything.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Oven cleaner. Wait a while. Wipe clean. Learned that in the Army. Bad for some finishes but fine for parkerized, anodized, and melonite. I only use it on the BCG.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 10:56:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#25]
For the bolt tail?

.45-70 spent casing. Haven't used anything else that has worked as well. Scrapes right off. And its brass, won't hurt the bolt. Shouldn't need to do it that often. Only when its really caked.
Link Posted: 7/7/2022 12:02:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I don’t scrape. I just fill the gas key with Hoppes until it comes out the vent holes. Then I push the bolt in a little and let the BCG sit standing up for a few days. When I get back to it most carbon wipes off and what won’t, I leave.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#27]
In before "you shouldnt be scraping your bolt" advice.
View Quote

Serious question, do you really need to scrape the bolt tail?
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 5:49:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I've honestly thought that the bolt tail is a self cleaning item. I would be willing to bet if you left it alone for a while it would keep running without any issues, but has anyone ever seen that this is true or untrue? I've seen ARs run just fine without gas rings too, but doesn't mean you would want to leave it that way so I would just scrape with anything that is not going to damage the bolt tail.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#29]
The bolt tail forms a gas seal with the carrier. The gas key deposits gas right there, and that gas expands forward towards the gas rings and back towards the tail where it fits into the carrier itself.

Scraping away at the tail is just going to loosen its fit against the carrier, and make your BCG less gas efficient.

Use some chemicals and a nylon brush, or just leave it there... it's not hurting anything.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:47:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Tobysi:

Serious question, do you really need to scrape the bolt tail?
View Quote

NO!
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Finedingus:
I've honestly thought that the bolt tail is a self cleaning item. I would be willing to bet if you left it alone for a while it would keep running without any issues, but has anyone ever seen that this is true or untrue? I've seen ARs run just fine without gas rings too, but doesn't mean you would want to leave it that way so I would just scrape with anything that is not going to damage the bolt tail.
View Quote

You are correct. You can shoot it for the life of the bolt and barrel without ever scraping the bolt tail. It is self-limiting.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

This! ^^^^^^
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 2:28:57 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Slip carbon killer

I use a plastic pill bottle.  While I am cleaning the rest of the rifle, or just sitting drinking beer and getting more angry at the state of affairs, I shake the bottle every few minutes.

In about an hour, I brush it in hot water with a plastic bristly brush.  The hot metal dries the water, I lube it.  Done.
Link Posted: 10/24/2022 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote

That's actually a good idea, I haven't thought of that.
Link Posted: 1/11/2023 9:05:23 PM EDT
[#35]
My BONE
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 7:46:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DevL] [#36]
In 40+ years of shooting, I have never scraped carbon off of a bolt tail. I had someone show me a twisting scrape tool once on one of my bolts... made it real clean but removed a bit of finish. I just commented, " That's cool... but why?"

I guess it is an OCD thing for people?
Link Posted: 2/9/2023 9:10:22 AM EDT
[#37]
In Basic Training, we made these out of wire hangers.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/12/2023 12:12:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#38]
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 3:34:19 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Thats what I do.

The easy way is always tough enough.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I rarely clean them but when I do, I just apply some bore cleaner and set aside while cleaning the rest of the rifle. I then hit it with a small brass brush. Seems to work well enough.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 11:18:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gamma762] [#41]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Using-a-Dremel-Tool-to-remove-carbon-from-a-bolt/7-775782/#i8504307

Do you take your car engine apart at regular intervals so you can grind down the valves?
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 3:01:58 AM EDT
[#42]
KZ Bolt Buddy Carbon Scraper
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 8:05:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By jasonm4:
I use a old flattened brass hook on a wooden dowel as a scraper when I'm trying to periodically clear out the hard carbon.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/395220/PXL_20220702_003705690_jpg-2438241.JPG
View Quote

Me likey.
Link Posted: 4/24/2023 8:06:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Lately I've been using a brass or copper bristle brush.
Link Posted: 5/14/2023 6:27:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Wipe it down, lube it, no scraping needed.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top