Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2020 8:40:38 PM EDT
I've standardized on 62 grain ammo for my ARs - seems to be a happy medium in most rifles.  I currently shoot all brass ammo for practice and for SD, but am interested in shooting some steel because its cheap.  Looking around I see Wolf and Tula as the primary options.  In Tula they have a fmj and a HP.  This is for plinking/practice/blasting, not 400 yard precision shooting.  Any product that is head and shoulders above others?  Tula is definitely the most readily available.
Thanks,
Jeff
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The best?

White box from barnual sold only by sgammo.

Saw consistent 2.5-3 moa 10rd groups with it. Was as hot as any brass cased 223 across my chrono. And only 1-2cpr more than wolf.

Hard to find now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:02:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Inherent to Barnaul in white box? (62 and 55gr?)

Never tried any, Wolf WPA is the only steel case I've shot. Looking for alternatives.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow. Now theres a consensus.

Eta: that soft point loading seemed to do well in ballistic gellatin. Wish I had bought more I use it for hog hunting.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:39:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I got some of the Tula 62gr a few years ago in the hope that it wasnt as bad as their 55gr.
It was (well maybe  a little better but not good enough)

62gr Steel thats proven accurate and reliable for me in many thousands of rounds of shooting:

Wolf Military Classic, 62gr in HP and FMH
Brown Bear FMJ and HP
Silver Bear, FMJ and HP

these are all made at Barnaul.

They are sometimes also available in SP.
Never shot the SP (though I did buy some) but since the HP was only a penny extra per round I shot a lot of the HP in addition to the FMJ as well.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 2:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Anything made by Barnaul is pretty good to go. IMO Tula manufactured seems to have the most issues.  

SGAMMO has gotten a lot of my money over the years.  I love their white box Barnaul made stuff especially the 55gr SP.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 5:13:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anything made by Barnaul is pretty good to go. IMO Tula manufactured seems to have the most issues.  

SGAMMO has gotten a lot of my money over the years.  I love their white box Barnaul made stuff especially the 55gr SP.
View Quote

What did you like in particular about the 55gr SP? I've got a 500rd box that I haven't got into yet. I know the 55 and 62gr FMJ is good. Wish they would keep having it made.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 10:12:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I stopped shooting steel when I started reloading but have shot thousands of rounds of the SG Barnaul contract ammo (55gr ball, 62gr otm, 55gr sp). It's good to go.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I stopped shooting steel when I started reloading but have shot thousands of rounds of the SG Barnaul contract ammo (55gr ball, 62gr otm, 55gr sp). It's good to go.
View Quote

I had no idea on this stuff. Been shooting plain old Wolf for a long minute now.

I hesitated and it sold out next day. If my foot would reach my ass I'd kick it.

Eta: signed up for email notification with Sgammo, but not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I had no idea on this stuff. Been shooting plain old Wolf for a long minute now.

I hesitated and it sold out next day. If my foot would reach my ass I'd kick it.

Eta: signed up for email notification with Sgammo, but not holding my breath.
View Quote
Yeah, I found the SG stuff to shoot cleaner, have fewer bad/hard primers, and feed+extract flawlessly. Had I not started reloading I'd have no problem shooting that stuff in perpetuity on the range.

I never took that ammo out past 100 yards but it was reasonably accurate as well.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#11]
The Barnaul 62gr HP is good stuff. My dad isn't as much of an ammo snob as I am when it comes to hunting ammo, he uses it on hogs and it works well. I've probably shot 2k of the 62gr HP over the years out of a few rifles, it always goes bang.
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 2:01:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I always liked the silver bear 62 gr when I could find it for a decent price. With all the cheap prices last year and the Walmart blow out I have not even looked at steel cases in some time.

Link Posted: 6/16/2020 3:09:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

What did you like in particular about the 55gr SP? I've got a 500rd box that I haven't got into yet. I know the 55 and 62gr FMJ is good. Wish they would keep having it made.
View Quote

I sent this box of ammo to the Chopping Block and liked how it performed compared to the 62gr stuff I sent him.  I don't even buy much FMJ anymore.  This SP stuff is almost as cheap so I use it for pretty much everything.  Stacking deep, training, extra defensive ammo, ect.

Brown Bear 223 Rem 55 gr Soft Point | Gel Test
Link Posted: 6/16/2020 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah that looks pretty good. I imagine it would still expand from an 11.5" or 12.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 3:53:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The best?

White box from barnual sold only by sgammo.

Saw consistent 2.5-3 moa 10rd groups with it. Was as hot as any brass cased 223 across my chrono. And only 1-2cpr more than wolf.

Hard to find now.
View Quote
Is this different than other Barnual ammunition? I am pretty sure the Academy house brand Monarch is or at least was Barnual as well.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:16:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Tagscibed for information.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I sent this box of ammo to the Chopping Block and liked how it performed compared to the 62gr stuff I sent him.  I don't even buy much FMJ anymore.  This SP stuff is almost as cheap so I use it for pretty much everything.  Stacking deep, training, extra defensive ammo, ect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etTvFZlR-0c
View Quote

Yeah that test got me to buy some.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is this different than other Barnual ammunition? I am pretty sure the Academy house brand Monarch is or at least was Barnual as well.
View Quote

Per the webpage:
Custom made ammo from Barnaul in Russia for Sgammo.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/27/2020 6:44:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I've standardized on 62 grain ammo for my ARs - seems to be a happy medium in most rifles.  I currently shoot all brass ammo for practice and for SD, but am interested in shooting some steel because its cheap.  Looking around I see Wolf and Tula as the primary options.  In Tula they have a fmj and a HP.  This is for plinking/practice/blasting, not 400 yard precision shooting.  Any product that is head and shoulders above others?  Tula is definitely the most readily available.
Thanks,
Jeff
View Quote

Wolf Military Classic in 62gr
Brown bear in 62gr
Silver Bear in 62gr

(Barnaul ammo sometimes gets sold in other brandnames too.. but the most widely available seems to be Wolf MC and Brown Bear.)

All available in FMJ and HP. Sometimes even in SP.

All made at barnaul.
You can make 300 m hits with them all day long.

I have shot in the 5 digits of these and cannot remember a malfunction due to ammo.
More reliable than some brass ammo I can think of.

By far the best steel and only 1-2 cents more than the bad training-only stuff.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top