Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2022 11:48:18 AM EDT
I’ve been out of the AR world for a while and wondering if there are new quality handguard covers for MLOK that do a great job protecting your hands. I don’t do many magdumps or anything like a belt fed MG but on FA it gets hot even if you try to shoot slowly with gloves on - especially with a heat sink (suppressor) on the end.

Looking for something that doesn’t melt or destroy itself under reasonable FA fire. I had some MI covers from back in the day on a keymod rail but they had metal screws and those things got hotter than the aluminum rail.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:15:28 PM EDT
[#1]
For what it's worth I like these, but I haven't made any kind of definitive study of what's available.

Centurion Arms MLOK Handguard Rail Cover, 3 - Pack
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Noting that this is a tech forum, I would just like to state that "assault rifle" is not an official term for any firearm that I know about.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Noting that this is a tech forum, I would just like to state that "assault rifle" is not an official term for any firearm that I know about.
View Quote

It’s in the Oxford dictionary and US Army TMs. What do you consider official?

As an aside I was made aware via PM about the Griffin Armament covers but they seem to have the same issue as the MI with metal screws.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Most of us here have Modern Sporting Rifles sir, as they are capable of only semi auto fire.  Of course the US Army would consider it an assault rifle, theirs are full auto capable.  Sorry to derail the thread but there is enough disinformation in the media already about the subject.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 1:55:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Most of us here have Modern Sporting Rifles sir, as they are capable of only semi auto fire.  Of course the US Army would consider it an assault rifle, theirs are full auto capable.  Sorry to derail the thread but there is enough disinformation in the media already about the subject.
View Quote

The OP's question is concerning his "full auto" rifle. His description is appropriate.
OP -  Manta has covers that might fit your needs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:06:09 PM EDT
[#7]
I stand corrected..... OP has auto capability and is therefore correct in his wording.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I stand corrected..... OP has auto capability and is therefore correct in his wording.
View Quote

I missed the FA part of the OP. I stand corrected, carry on.

Contributing to the discussion, I would worry about blocking off heat dissipation and burning out barrels. That being said, if you have the means to own and feed a FA centerfire rifle this may not be a big concern for you.

Perhaps some combination of gloves and covers? Or maybe just buy an identical upper and swap when it starts to get too hot?
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I’ve been out of the AR world for a while and wondering if there are new quality handguard covers for MLOK that do a great job protecting your hands. I don’t do many magdumps or anything like a belt fed MG but on FA it gets hot even if you try to shoot slowly with gloves on - especially with a heat sink (suppressor) on the end.

Looking for something that doesn’t melt or destroy itself under reasonable FA fire. I had some MI covers from back in the day on a keymod rail but they had metal screws and those things got hotter than the aluminum rail.
View Quote

Man, with a can, they get smoky and I don't have a 3rd hole.

I use RailScales, VFGs, and leather Mechanix Gloves (the real leather ones)
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 7:41:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Reading the OP would also prevent misinformation. As in:

"I don’t do many magdumps or anything like a belt fed MG but on FA it gets hot."
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Fan of the ergo rubber mlok pieces personally.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Finalizing my apocalypse build after years in the making. Starting from a NIB M16A2, this was a no expenses build. The best of the best rail covers that I could find were these RailScales G10 ones. I got them in all styles just to pick between them in person. Spent 1k on the covers alone. Decided on the mini dot ones and sold the rest. Planning on finally putting this thing together this weekend, and now I'm debating on whether to run panels at all. Two reasons for the possible change of heart. One big reason as someone mentioned was the blockaging of air cooling slots for the barrel especially important under FA. 2nd big reason reason is this is a no frills, all business apocalypse build, not a gucci gun. May decide to run everything as the first pic, but might just do the VG, or I might just it clean and naked like the 2nd pic. Decisions decisions and I'm pretty indecisive. But if your heart is set on having panels, then I don't think there is anything that competes with Railscales G10 panels.

Here are some pics just snapped for this post:

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 5:14:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Magpul’s Type 2 clip into the slots. No metal hardware required.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm a big fan of the B5 systems covers. In-general though, I'm usually rocking gloves, so I only have like 1 cover on the bottom of the rail usually.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 1:21:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Slate back industries if I'm correct.
They have some nice looking panels.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Rail Scales are the undeniable best.

Magpul Type 2 become brittle breakage prone dog shit after they get heated up. Terrible design if you ever plan to take them off and put them back on.

BCM are too loose fitting. Their rails are the only ones I’ve had them stay put as the gun heated up. They still slip and slide around on their own rail too.

Centurion covers would be my favorite, but their mounting adapters for MLOK are some of the most weak and ghetto shit I’ve ever seen. They are the only cover that will fully protect your hand while allowing air flow to the barrel.

Link Posted: 5/22/2022 3:59:01 PM EDT
[#17]
G10 is probably going to be the best material since it won’t melt and it’s not a good conductor of heat. That means shelling out the $ for RailScales. I’d recommend the XOS model for more coverage than the standard RailScales
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Forward Control Design has MCF M-Lok rail covers, made of Railscales G10, with a special dimple textured surface.

https://www.forwardcontrolsdesign.com/MCF_p_164.html
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
For what it's worth I like these, but I haven't made any kind of definitive study of what's available.

Centurion Arms MLOK Handguard Rail Cover, 3 - Pack
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for all of the replies.

I’ve ordered some Rail Scales and will try them out. I’ll also just make sure to keep gloves in my bag anyway as a backup.

Was trying to not use any rail covers at all for heat dissipation but ultimately decided it would be “grippier” with them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:34:30 AM EDT
[#21]
So, is it time for water cooling, again?
Tie in a hydration pack, a couple of small hoses, and a jacketed barrel
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 4:05:44 PM EDT
[#22]
I just use a VFG.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 5:23:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I would try a pair of fire resistant Nomex racing gloves.
People like Speedway Motors, Jegs, and Summit always have close-out deals on older styles.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just use a VFG.
View Quote
This.

Leave the MLOK slots open for cooling.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 10:28:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

The U.S. Army considers it a carbine and they're 3 round burst.
Link Posted: 5/25/2022 12:18:16 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The U.S. Army considers it a carbine and they're 3 round burst.
View Quote
Sometimes they call it an assault rifle:
https://www.army.mil/article/74839/soldiers_requalify_with_m4
https://odin.tradoc.army.mil/mediawiki/index.php/M16A1_American_5.56mm_Assault_Rifle

US Army combat arms soldiers are issued the M4A1 now, so they've got full auto.

Idk what that has to do with the OP's firearm however. He never called it a carbine or specified the barrel length. He said it was full auto and refers to it as an assault rifle, and that shouldn't be a problem for anyone responding with advice about heat reduction.

Go start your own thread if you don't like his terms. They're not incorrect.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top