Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2020 11:28:52 PM EDT
I have a collectors M-16 lower that I have been shooting with a NOVESKE 10.5” upper w/gas switch block. Currently these appear to be months back ordered. They made two barrels, one stainless for accuracy and another made to hold up longer under burst fire. Can anyone recommend an alternative?
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
What is a "colector's M16 lower"?
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:30:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, a poor use of
words that does make me look stupid. I am new to using this forum. I have a full auto lower and am looking to replace the barrel. I thought someone would have the knowledge to point me in the right direction...
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, a poor use of
words that does make me look stupid. I am new to using this forum. I have a full auto lower and am looking to replace the barrel. I thought someone would have the knowledge to point me in the right direction...
View Quote
No man, you're fine. Don't feel stupid, you don't know what you don't know.

Collector's grade really means just that, it's a pristine, often original issue in a barely used no wear condition.

If that original barrel is pristine and you want a shooter upper for it, any of the big names will have what you're looking for.

If you're looking for a pristine barrel for your upper to replace what you had because you've used it, it's not "collector's grade". If I am reading your question right.

The guy that from my memory is the Ar15 guru (I mean GURU) was "Tweak", I don't know if he posts here anymore, but if there was a true everything AR15 jammed into one guy's head, it's him, second is another guy who was awesome, he lived in Texas, he's no longer with us anymore, sad to say, I'm old school here.

However, there is plenty of new talent that are smart and are in this tech forum that will undoubtedly help. I just wanted to chime in and say no, you're not asking anything dumb.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 2:29:31 PM EDT
[#4]
You have your self an interesting question here.

Would it be better to spend the premium on a heavy duty barrel for longer life under full auto or would it be better to just buy a couple of cheap barrels?

You could buy something like a Colt IAR upper, a Colt SOCOM barrel, or the Noveske N4 barrel you mentioned and have an expensive upper that would last longer under full auto use.

But for that price, you could buy a couple of cheaper upper and swap between them at the range to let the barrels cool off.

The Noveske barrels with the double thick chrome lining cost about $500 each.  You could get a complete upper from some places for that amount.  The laws of physics still apply no matter what you buy.  No barrel is magically going to survive excessive abuse.

The heavier profiles, heat sinks, or thicker chrome will survive a little more abuse than an average barrel, but if you planning to be shooting these until they glow, you would be better off (cost wise) just buying several cheap barrels.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#5]
You've got yourself a money pit here. You'd be better off just to sell it to me and take a loss on it now versus dropping loads of cash on ammo feeding it over the next few years.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:43:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a cheap blasting barrel, wear it out, rinse and repeat. Lots of options out there.  DPMS M-4 barrels on CDNN would fit that bill.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I have nothing constructive to add, but welcome to the Retro Forum
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ok, a poor use of
View Quote
I wasn't trying to make you look stupid.  I literally had no clue what you meant.
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:32:26 PM EDT
[#9]
For barrel.  As stated look at CDNN.  Remington supposedly defense contract socom M-4 11.5 inch for $180 would be hard to beat IMO for money. Has FSB bla! Bla! thicker profile with flats.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-pistol-barrel-556-11-5-chrome-bore-remington.html?___SID=U    link if you want.

Kinda like Colt FBI barrel,  probably same spec or close.  Colt's gone through the roof in pricing so looks like a decent alternative,  especially for a full auto blaster.  Colt worn out barrel will still have more value than most the others with minimal use.  Always exceptions (Noveske being one).

" Last long time, have big fun"
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top