Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/18/2018 12:26:51 PM EDT
Get out your sticks, we're beating a dead horse again!

Going to get the ball rolling on an SBR and trying to pick a lower receiver. I'm trying to keep the gun lightweight (sub 23in and 5lbs), but I do also want to make sure that I'm getting a good lower since it's going to get stamped.

So what is the "best" lower receiver, assuming a budget of $200?

I'm currently looking at the VLTOR VRA Vulcan lower since it'll be getting paired with a MUR upper, the 9.4oz weight still keeps me at ~76.1oz (4.75lbs), and it has a nice big mag release. My other consideration is the Vorn Lima II, at 7.2oz (73.9oz, 4.62lbs) and about $80 less ($116 vs $200).

Is there another I should be looking at, and what is generally the "best?" I've always been in the camp of "in spec is in spec," but figure I'm going to be putting enough into this gun that I'd like to keep it a long time and don't mind splurging a little.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Anderson ftw.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anderson ftw.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Anderson ftw.
I'm normally a fan of just grabbing a cheap mil-spec, but for this build I want to get something a bit "nicer," as unnecessary as it may be. I figure I can either specialize by going lightweight, or get the oversized mag release and matched set with a VLTOR.

Quoted:
I just want to make sure the horse is dead.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:32:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I’m interested in the responses myself for the same reason.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:35:28 PM EDT
[#5]
aero m4e1

I have a stack of stripped lowers.  Anderson for mil-spec and the m4e1 when I want something a bit nicer and classier.  sometimes i shoot with my pinky out.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 1:37:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#7]
"Better" lower receiver for $200
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Just built out a Primary Weapons Systems Mk1 Mod 2 lower and I am extremely happy with it. Can't find the Mod 2 in stock anywhere, but here is the Mk 1 (Mod 2 is a little thinner and has ambi controls). Even the Mk 1 will save you a couple ounces.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 5:14:03 PM EDT
[#9]
You can pretty much spend any amount you want for bragging rights, but it is really not needed, mil spec is mil spec, the extra money gets you different roll marks and perhaps some unique skull heads or such that can be an attention getter, but they are not needed.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:46:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You can pretty much spend any amount you want for bragging rights, but it is really not needed, mil spec is mil spec, the extra money gets you different roll marks and perhaps some unique skull heads or such that can be an attention getter, but they are not needed.
View Quote
Some can get you billet receivers and integrated ambi mag releases and ambi bolt catch. I'd say the ambi bolt catch is a really big reason to get an expensive fancy lower as most of the other ways to make an ambi bolt catch is either with a Magpul BAD lever or something that requires milling/ filing like the PDQ Bolt Catch.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Of the ones that I've used Essential Arms w/ the tough coat is my favorite
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 7:18:42 PM EDT
[#13]

Link Posted: 7/18/2018 7:51:48 PM EDT
[#14]
JL Billet 7075 lower

CNC machined from 7075-T6 billet aluminum.
Mil-spec component compatible.
Ambidextrous bolt release (included)
Integrated trigger guard.
Flared magwell.
Upper tensioning set screw.
Screw in bolt catch pin.
Trigger reset set screw.
Threaded take-down spring hole.
Includes set screws
9.02 Oz

Link Posted: 7/18/2018 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#15]
MEGAUL1 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:10:28 PM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
I hear good things about Mega, but all I can think about when I see their logo is Jimmy Neutron, and it just kills it for me.

Tempting - very tempting - but I think I'll keep my honey badger meme lower on my regular AR.

Quoted:

Flared magwell.
Screw in bolt catch pin.
Trigger reset set screw.
Includes set screws
9.02 Oz
Hold up - what now?

I think I want to stick with forged for strength (even though realistically I'll probably never beat on it hard enough to matter), but I'm super curious what those mean.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Brownells has the Aero Gen 2 stripped lowers on sale right now for $47. Not as nice as the really expensive lowers mentioned above, but quite a bit nicer than Anderson for abut the same price. They also have the M4E1 on sale for $65. I personally don't need anything nicer than an Aero lower. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 9:18:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Brownells has the Aero Gen 2 stripped lowers on sale right now for $47. Not as nice as the really expensive lowers mentioned above, but quite a bit nicer than Anderson for abut the same price. They also have the M4E1 on sale for $65. I personally don't need anything nicer than an Aero lower. YMMV
View Quote
The Aero Gen 2s and Aero M4E1's are about the only lowers I buy anymore (unless I want a fancy billet lower). I get some PSA lowers as well, but the Aeros are simply my go tos. Great value for your dollar.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#19]
I hear good things about Mega, but all I can think about when I see their logo is Jimmy Neutron, and it just kills it for me.
View Quote
One of the reasons I picked up a few MEGA lowers was specifically because of the atom rollmark.  I love it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:23:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not within your budget of $200 but these are the NICEST Lowers I’ve found and they are 100% ambidextrous....

https://i.imgur.com/NdkLNMi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/s2UVN8T.jpg
View Quote
I built one using this lower but AXTS marked, now Radian. You are correct, they are THE nicest lowers. But significatly more than $200 and they have been out of stock everywhere for a long time now.
Anyway, I paired it with a couple matching AXTS uppers and handguards. A shorty in .300 Blackout and 16" barrel in 5.56 :)

Rudy
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

One of the reasons I picked up a few MEGA lowers was specifically because of the atom rollmark.  I love it.
View Quote
I like that rollmark as well. However, for those that don't you can always pick a Zev lower. They bought out Mega and now did away with that logo.

Rudy
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Who has the best price on mega lowers?
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#23]
A little over budget and slightly heavier than mil-spec but this is my current favorite:

https://www.americandefensemanufacturing.com/view/product/932/

True ambi and flared mag well, but a few disadvantages like from what I can tell you can't swap the bolt catch and that thing is pretty large.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 11:32:22 PM EDT
[#24]
LWRC M6IC lowers are nice, but about $500 for the complete lower. Used to be $700+ if you could find one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 1:00:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Flared magwell.
Screw in bolt catch pin.
Trigger reset set screw.
Includes set screws
9.02 Oz

Hold up - what now?

I think I want to stick with forged for strength (even though realistically I'll probably never beat on it hard enough to matter), but I'm super curious what those mean.
View Quote
Trigger reset screw allows you to tune the amount of travel for the trigger before it releases the hammer.

Threaded take down spring hole is for the rear take pin and makes it much easier during buffer tube/end plate assembly.

_
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 4:10:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Being a big LMT fan, I vote....LMT, but I have handled a Radian and they are nice.

Will also add ADM to the list, a very well built lower, and upper.  Has tension screw provision already installed for adjusting upper to lower fit.

I am looking real hard at purchasing one of their complete rifles.

Link Posted: 7/19/2018 5:07:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 7:37:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I Vote for a full ambi lower. You can get ADM blem lower during a holiday sale for $200. A little less with mil discount.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Who has the best price on mega lowers?
View Quote
Going to be difficult to find them at a reasonable price. ZEV bought them in 2017 and the MEGA roll mark is now a thing of the past.
However, you can get a dumbass double slash roll mark with ZEV.

//

ZEV gutted the MEGA ARMS line

I bought 3 MEGA GATOR lowers for $89 each last year when I heard about the buyout.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:37:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Jse Surplus has some Mega candy.  53 in stock now...
LINKY
View Quote
I now remember that site actually having them listed like a month ago at around $80
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Jse Surplus has some Mega candy.  53 in stock now...
LINKY
View Quote
Oh man, I'm still not huge on that logo and I think I'd rather stamp a forged (think I'm going with a PWS Mk1), but I may have to pick that up just on principal for that magwell and price.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:02:24 AM EDT
[#33]
PWS

CMT

Noveske

LMT

That price I would do Billet for sure.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:30:37 AM EDT
[#34]

But it doesn’t do anything my $39 PSA Stealth lower can’t do.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm really tempted, but I just don't know if I can bring myself to pay $210 for a name. But, I do intend to have it for the rest of my life, so it's a bit of a dilemma.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just built out a Primary Weapons Systems Mk1 Mod 2 lower and I am extremely happy with it. Can't find the Mod 2 in stock anywhere, but here is the Mk 1 (Mod 2 is a little thinner and has ambi controls). Even the Mk 1 will save you a couple ounces.
View Quote
I recently went thru the same thing the OP is wrestling with now. I have plenty of lowers including a couple billet pieces and wanted an ambi forged lower to round things out and didn't really place a huge emphasis on cost.

I picked the PWS MK1 MOD2, building it now. They're really nice, forged and 7oz. but cost a tad more than your $200 limit. To burn more money check out their Bootleg enhanced upper receiver too.

Capital Armory has the MOD2 in stock. PWS goodness
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#37]
I really like the Aero M4E1
It wasnt avalible when I did my form.
I went with the Rainier, being how all the markings were on the right side (no longer) and Iv got another Rainier Arms, so I wasnt going in blind.
I also thought about the V seven.

I agree with you. Why stamp a turd?
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
Rainier Arms and Rifle Gear's receivers are made by Mega/ZEV. I like Rainiers rollmark.
They are my favorite having nothing to do with Rollmark. The fit is absolutely perfect (Finish too, but I care less about that).

If it were me, any Billet would have to be skeletonized to some extent so it doesn't weigh more than forged, or be for a bench-type gun.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 2:03:21 AM EDT
[#39]

Excellent fit and finish. I made my SBR from one.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
...except when it isn’t, like Anderson lowers with the mag well not broached evenly and pin holes that don’t line up!
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
...except when it isn't, like Anderson lowers with the mag well not broached evenly and pin holes that don't line up!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...except when it isn't, like Anderson lowers with the mag well not broached evenly and pin holes that don't line up!
I used an Anderson lower for an SBR and regretted it. Even after my buddy said "I would have went with something a bit 'higher end'." I brushed it off and figured as long as it's in spec- what's the difference.
Well I found out a few hundred rounds later that the buffer detent pin hole was out of spec (like many others that have been reported here on Arfcom) when the tip of the detent sheared off. Anderson had issues with the location of the hole, which allows the buffer to hit the detent before it hits back of the BCG. I band-aided it with an offset buffer detent and it's not really a big deal now but I'm still wishing I would have went with something better.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 9:20:57 AM EDT
[#42]
This is what I’m reeeeeaaaallly trying to talk myself out of buying!!
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#43]
KAC
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 12:09:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 1:06:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

...except when it isn’t, like Anderson lowers with the mag well not broached evenly and pin holes that don’t line up!
View Quote
That would be the same for any company that does lowers, they have all had problems over the years in their QC
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:01:51 PM EDT
[#46]
I have been really impressed with Aero Precision lowers. The regular ones have a screw to adjust play and the magazine well is flared.

Their M4E1 lowers are my favorite ones though. They look good, are forged (cheaper,) have an integral trigger guard, selector is set up for short throw, and the magazine well is generously flared.

Aero also sells their standard lower with a PDQ bolt release/catch. Add in a Forward Control Design ambi mag release and you will have a completely ambidextrous lower for around $200.

Even the blems I have from Aero Precision has had great fit and finish for the money.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#47]
One year ago, I would have agreed with this.  However, I got an out of tolerances LMT lower, and they failed to make good on it.  So. . . . LaRue is your answer.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#48]
I like billet U/L and particularly like the Noreen U/L sets which can be bought around $130 I guess (Lowers @ $59.95 at AIM Surplus). The design, fit and finish are very attractive with perfect (note: no FA if that metters).
Alternatively, I have found the older Aero U/L sets very nice - the new generation with trigger guard built in seems quite attractive.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:13:35 PM EDT
[#49]
I like billet U/Ls and particularly like the Noreen U/L sets which can be bought around $130 I guess (Lowers @ $59.95 at AIM Surplus or Brownells, uppers at Noreen). The design, fit and finish are very attractive with perfect (note: no FA if that matters).
Alternatively, I have found the older forged Aero U/L sets very nice - the new generation with trigger guard built-in seems quite attractive.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#50]
A lower is a lower!
I prefer Colt for the Nostalgia of the Logo.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top