Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/29/2021 11:56:19 PM EDT
I've been debating a while whether or not to free float this rifle (mine is the slightly older 18" version) and since I'm adding an AGB for suppressor use I guess I might as well do the handguard as well.

I don't plan to add anything to the handguard other than maybe a front sight so I don't need lots of rails or options for gadgets and lightweight is my main goal. Looks the MI Lightweight Handguard might be the best option, but I really like the round, streamline look of the JP MK III but it's heavy. Looks to be pushing almost a half pound more than the MI.

I've searched a read a few older threads where some version of the MI seemed the most popular. Is that still the case, or is there something out there I'm overlooking? I'm not really interested in the carbon options.

Also curious about the Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas Block. Seems like one of the better choices.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 12:50:41 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve got an MI rail and the Superlative Arms gas block on my PSA. The barrel is a 16” Faxon pencil and that’s a Rugged Razor can I picked up yesterday.

No problems with the rail, it’s a DPMS Low, which is close to the PSA upper height.  You will need to get the MI extended ejection port cover rod.

The gas block really tames the gas and recoil and made the gun pleasant to shoot.  Zero gas to the face and it was easy tuning the rifle to run suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. Can you elaborate on why the MI extended ejection port cover rod is needed? Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:18:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The MI barrel nut sits too far forward from the receiver to keep the standard length in place.

MI should include it with the rail.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 1:20:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 9:00:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Crap. I think I ordered the wrong handguard.

I got this one https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/MI-CRLW12-625-p/mi-crlw12.625.htm

Looks like I got the AR15 one. I was somehow under the impression that the barrel nuts were the same but I guess not.

The MI handguard options for the 308 don't seem to include the lighter weight ones like the one I ordered. I don't really like the full top rail but guess I'm out of luck.

Crap.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 2:45:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I've got a MI rail on my M&P-10 it's a great real but wish I had waited and got a SLR dpms low rail but they weren't being produced when I bought mine. I've got SLR on all my other rifle and their quality is top notch. If you return the rail check out the SLR helix series pretty sure it's what you seek any of the 308 dpms low tang rails fit the M&P
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks. That does look about perfect if a bit pricey. Trying to decide how much more money I want to put into this thing.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top