Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/25/2020 6:45:44 PM EDT
Ok so I am having a hard time trying to decide which barrel to get. This is my first build so I just don’t know what I want yet.
I realize that your first build may not always get what you are aiming for so I am trying to keep things cheap but not too cheap. With some more experience later I’ll be able to add/replace to what I have. I am trying to get the most accurate barrel I can for around 200-300.

I’ve narrowed it down a little. So far I am leaning towards Wilson Combat. They seems to be very good at what they do but I’m sure part of that’s is just a vastly superior marketing quality than the other brands. What I am annoyed with is Wilson Combat has a dozen different barrels with no description explaining what the difference is between them all. I’m looking for a 16” 5.56
If anyone wants to be a hero and explain what the differences are between the several stainless options, I’d be very grateful:
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Grade-Barrel-556-NATO-Recon-Tactical-16-1-8-Twist-Stainless-Fluted/productinfo/TR-556RCMG16FT8/

Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Can’t help you with Wilson barrels never had one. But I have 3 LaRue and they are great shooters and extremely accurate.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:59:58 PM EDT
[#2]
The two most accurate barrels i own are a larue and a 12.5" centurion arms cl light weight barrel it prints consistent 1 moa groups with 69 grain smk and does not open up much at all when hot. Im not mag dumping but from drills its gotten plenty hot. Centurion also offers a recce and mk12 barrels , im currently waiting on a recce barrel so i cant comment on how they group yet.
WOA would be the other place to check ive seen some amazing groups on here shot out of a woa barrel. I completely understand building on a budget but the two places not to hold back are the barrel and bcg.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn, that's tough. Just too many variables really.

For shooting the most?
Spike's optimum profile double chrome lined.

For best bang for the buck chrome lined?
Green mountain

For highest quality and accuracy chrome lined?
Tie between daniel defense and criterion.

For general shooting and quality?
Faxon

For best bang for the buck nitride?
Ballistic advantage because they have barrels that come pre drilled for pinning a gas block.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#4]
CRITERION

Shooting style/habits and ammo play a huge role.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Lothar walther LW50 steel has a rep for higher durability than 416SS so i hear.
Polygonal 1:8
Midlength
(Couldn’t readily find gas port size, though i would intuitively suggest its on the smaller side of 16 middies )
Lightweight version of this is 5.088 ounces lighter
(Research barrel harmonics)
“Life HD” black
If you decide go with a different barrel material id take a look at Centurion CHF offerings and while your there, they have some SS priced above your budget.
ETA got pics straightened out and the guys over at Centurion are awesome, shipped the keyed lo pro gas block 3/4 pinned to aid in install, answered email super quick and nice and even threw in a thankyou note with the purchase.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 7:51:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I’d go Wilson Combat or WOA.

Main differences between all those WC 16” options are profile and fluting/no fluting.  Check the weight specs for your differences there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:05:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CRITERION

Shooting style/habits and ammo play a huge role.
View Quote

This. Out of OP's list I'd go LaRue from the accuracy results I've seen, but overall I'd go Criterion.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I voted something else.

If I were going to purchase the "Best Barrel" it would be manufactured by Craddock Precision. Period.

EDIT:  from a Bartlein barrel blank.  But this level of quality is about twice your budget.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:01:07 PM EDT
[#9]
OP is trolling by putting Faxon in this list.

They are just above Bear Creek in my book.

Seekins and Noveske should be on the list. And Proof Research.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#10]
My mistake.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:30:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Hands down the most accurate factory barrels I own are #1 Colt Socom 14.5 and #2 Centurion Arms 14.5.

#3 would be the Remington Socom profile that CDNN had for sale recently, however I think they are gone.

Also in the stable are Colt 16” Socom cut down to 10.4” @ .070 GP, BA 16” Midweight/length Ops Contour, Green Mountain 20” HB profile, BCM BFH 14.5 Midlength, Windham Weaponry 14.5 CL Gov Profile, and AAC 9.5 Pistol Gas.

Out of all these barrels the Two mentioned at the top are far and away the most accurate and impressive.

My .02 cents if you can spring for the money is a Colt 14.5 Socom P/W muzzle device of your choice or 16” Centurion Arms. With either of these two barrels you will be the weak link.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:33:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP is trolling by putting Faxon in this list.

They are just above Bear Creek in my book.

Seekins and Noveske should be on the list. And Proof Research.
View Quote

Yep, I’ve personally seen two Faxon Examples on buddies rifles that wouldn’t group for shit...I just sat back and said “Told you to buy what I said” but they drank the cool aid.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:35:57 AM EDT
[#13]
I can't believe Daniel Defense isn't on your list.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is next on my list for 5.56, really want one however if I don’t finish my AR-10 build now I never will (COVID baby is enroute, hell yea!!!).
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:16:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Criterion.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 1:43:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice service grade type barrels:
DD > Colt=FN=BCM > Larue  ....  >  Faxon=BA=Spikes, etc.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 2:09:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Heres OP’s link

Id also suggest an upper receiver that lends as much accuracy as your budget and availability permits.
I hear alot of praise for vltor’s mur upper unless someone knows a better/in stock option
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/498555/23BA6855-441E-41D2-A573-6F5ED4D293FF_jpe-1432785.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/498555/F022CF0D-6504-4F6B-8B4F-92F85358CC3F_jpe-1432789.JPG
Midlength
(Couldn’t readily find gas port size, though i would intuitively suggest its on the smaller side of 16 middies )
“Life HD” black
If you decide go with a different barrel material id take a look at Centurion CHF offerings
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/498555/23BA6855-441E-41D2-A573-6F5ED4D293FF_jpe-1432785.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/498555/F022CF0D-6504-4F6B-8B4F-92F85358CC3F_jpe-1432789.JPG
Midlength
“Life HD” black
If you decide go with a different barrel material id take a look at Centurion CHF offerings

Lets not forget Larues barrel reputation was built on Lothar Walther blanks.

Centurion CHF..an excellent suggestion for a hard use capable yet unusually accurate (precise) option.

Quoted:

Considering this..

Centurion's 16" CHF/CL FN barreled CM4 rifle out shot dd's $3000 dollar bolt action delta 5 despite having the disadvantages of being a semi auto gas gun v.s. bolt action, less magnification and tested in significant wind v.s. dead calm conditions with a projectile (.223/5.56) that is more susceptible to wind influence than that used in the dd delta 5 (6.5 creedmore) in Mr.GunsNGears testing. It is truly an embarrassment, see for yourself.

Centurion CM4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3myEt3jGc-U

lil dannys $3000 delta 5
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bGFW3NjRI_U

No..and thats just going off of documented performance (or more accurately, lack of)..

But with this added..

Unless you just like paying outrageous pricing for sub par product (see above ^) made by those who would throw you and your constitutional rights under the bus in exchange for low volume contracts for limited use, niche components.

Fetch no.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Lets not forget Larues barrel reputation was built off of Lothar Walther blanks.

Centurion CHF..an excellent suggestion for a hard use capable yet unusually accurate (precise) option.

Considering this..

Centurion's 16" CHF/CL FN barreled CM4 rifle out shot dd's $3000 dollar bolt action delta 5 despite having the disadvantages of being a semi auto gas gun v.s. bolt action, less magnification and tested in significant wind v.s. dead calm conditions with a projectile (.223/5.56) that is more susceptible to wind influence than that used in the dd delta 5 (6.5 creedmore) in Mr.GunsNGears testing. It is truly an embarrassment, see for yourself.

Centurion CM4

lil dannys $3000 delta 5

No..and thats just going off of documented performance (or more accurately lack of)..

But with this added..

Unless you just like paying outrageous pricing for sub par product (see above ^) made by those who would throw you and your constitutional rights under the bus in exchange for low volume contracts for limited use, niche components.

Fetch no.
View Quote

Here we go again.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:06:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Fetch no.
View Quote

I buttered their buns to the max because they (centurion) produce a good barrel and GB design that i paid money for. If a paragraph serves OP better off than a simple poll vote then...
quite frankly,
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 10:10:11 PM EDT
[#23]
White Oak Armament/White Oak Precision for the chambering/profiling.  I prefer cut-rifled Krieger or Bartlein blanks, though the button rifled Wilsons that WOA offers shoot well, just not as long as the cut-rifled barrels.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Krieger or Bartlien. Prefer to get a CLE with a Krieger and Free Floated Upper that they sell complete with bcg.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Criterion or Daniel Defense is my vote.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 11:22:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Krieger or Bartlien. Prefer to get a CLE with a Krieger and Free Floated Upper that they sell complete with bcg.
View Quote

I have the same thought, most accurate barrels I have are Kriegers. Bartlien makes a great barrel too.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:33:08 PM EDT
[#27]
White Oak
Krieger
Bartlein
V7 Weapons System
Criterion
Centurion
Daniel Defense
BCM
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Lets not forget Larues barrel reputation was built on Lothar Walther blanks.

Considering this..

Centurion CM4

lil dannys $3000 delta 5

No..and thats just going off of documented performance (or more accurately, lack of)..

But with this added..

Fetch no.
View Quote

I believe your MDDS (Marty Daniel Derangement Syndrome) is blinding you to the fact that both DD and Centurion can produce excellent, accurate, and hard use barrels. One example of one does not mean all rifles from the respective companies will produce the same outcomes.
Link Posted: 5/30/2020 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#29]
You need two polls

One for rack grade chromemoly chrome lined/melonite 5.56 barrels
another or stainless match/varmint barrels
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 8:26:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 10:56:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Can’t help you with Wilson barrels never had one. But I have 3 LaRue and they are great shooters and extremely accurate.
View Quote

Wilson and Wilson Combat are two totally different companies.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:32:41 PM EDT
[#32]
criterion
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 7:58:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Any love for Roscoe Bloodline barrels?
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 5:33:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Bartlein or Krieger for accuracy in a stainless match accuracy barrel.

Daniel Defense or Criterion for chrome lined lightweight barrel.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 6:34:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Poll is dildos, no option for Criterion
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top