Link Posted: 7/8/2018 2:32:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 2:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Best are KAC micros, but stupid expensive
Best value are the ones I’ll selling in the EE.
The Magpul MBUS are a solid choice for those on a budget.  If you need fixed, DD is a great one.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Best rear sight for the money is Matech. Built tough (made of steel) and can be had for $40-50 in the EE. LWRC skirmish sights are pretty neat and ~$150 for the pair.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 3:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Magpul MBUS are a solid choice for those on a budget.  If you need fixed, DD is a great one.
View Quote
I know KAC makes great stuff, but I won’t own buis that don’t lock in the up position. Troy is my choice, and the standard flip ups can be had for $100-$120 a set during Black Friday or sometimes used in the EE. Ymmv

Magpul polymer sets are good for range guns/non shtf guns.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I like Troy.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Magpul Pro for best value.  Steel material, low profile, very nice
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:13:05 PM EDT
[#8]
KAC then MBUS pro
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm going to get hate for my budget recommendations. Fite me!

My recommendations are both flip up and fixed.
Best Budget Sights: Magpul MBUS, UTG Accusync Spring Loaded Sights, UTG Slim Fixed Sights, Diamond Head Polymer Flip Ups, Sig Sauer BUIS (Good for putting on multiple rifles)
Best Overall Sights at a moderate-higher price point.: KAC, Matech, Magpul Pro, Daniel Defense, LMT (Expensive MSRP, but usually cheaper in the EE)  (Good for serious use/duty)

Sights to avoid: MFT, Anything Mako, UTG Chinese Sights (Soft Pot Metal), NC Star, Aim Sports, Aero Precision (Sorry, but they are too fragile for what they cost!), Troy (Solid Sights, but I can't recommend them for reasons I can't discuss on this board.)
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#10]
KAC, then Troy.....then everything else.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:38:31 PM EDT
[#11]
KAC 600m Micros for something with a magnified optic, Troy or KAC 300m w/ 99051 front for something with an Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 5:57:36 PM EDT
[#12]
best are KAC

but they arent budget
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:10:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Troy sights are on sale at Primary Arms, I just picked up a few sets, prices were too good to pass up
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I have several sets of the Matech. I have a few original MBUS & a KAC 600...Honestly I can't tell any difference.  I also am not in a war & I use optics.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I know KAC makes great stuff, but I won’t own buis that don’t lock in the up position. Troy is my choice, and the standard flip ups can be had for $100-$120 a set during Black Friday or sometimes used in the EE. Ymmv

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Locking in the up position is why Troy did so poorly in the Kit Up drop test and why the modest MBUS did best by retracting when struck and being able not only to continue when later bring beaten like a maul against concrete -- and still holding zero within 1 MOA.

KAC micro is best because, in part, it does deflect. Slim, strong.

Magpul MBUS Pro does as well, and is close to KAC at a more reasonable price point.

Regular MBUS remains the clear choice if on a tight budget.  A bit bulky, but extremely rugged.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 7:43:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't know why people like the KACs so much. I mean they're high quality and all, but they fold down with the lightest tap against my leg. Not to mention how the windage knob rotates when I flip them up.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#17]
The Magpul Pros have a much stronger spring to stay up than the KACs

I like the KACs equal and own 3 KACs and 2 Pros
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 8:47:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
MBUS are proven tough.

Holding up better than even metal sights in abuse tests... A little research and knowledge goes a long way. The Troy sights crapped out quickly in tests.

KAC Micro sights are very nice, but costly.

I say MBUS for budget, but honestly all the BUIS you would actually need.

MBUS Pro for a nicer option, that is nice and slim/trim on the rifle. They take up little room on the rail, and do not obstruct access to the charging handle. A great all around option.

KAC for the high end option. Well made and pricey... Not sure if they are any better in the long run for that money though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 8:52:29 PM EDT
[#19]
The KAC 600m Micros are very close to the old flip up peep sights. I have one on a 1928 Winchester 94 Nickel Steel 30/30 that my dad had as a young man.

Link Posted: 7/8/2018 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
KAC, then Troy.....then everything else.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:07:40 PM EDT
[#21]
I have and like Troy battle sights..... I also have a older ARMS #40 that is built like a tank. Not cheap maybe the most $$ of all.   Their new models look very bad ass and are multi tasked and innovative

No Body seems to mention ARMS and Not sure why??

H
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:43:09 PM EDT
[#22]
There are some other good ones like the Bobro Lowriders.

Ones that lock can be a compromise in a fall
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I've got KAC which is my favorite, next was my LMT fixed, kind of big and heavy but tough.

I also have older (2010 and older) Troy but the current versions are worst, search around and you'll find out what they changed in the design that a lot of guys didn't like.

For my budget range toy Magpul MBUS.

Not expensive and still quality I'll just have to go with my opinion, the DD fixed seems simple and robust.

The next sights I want to get is the ScalarWorks PEAK fixed irons.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Magpul pro or Troy
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#25]
I found some YHM iron sights in the EE and they seem great. Similar to the Troy ones I think. I like having the large and small apertures available. My Matech has a small aperture only, and my Magpul BUIS has only a medium (I think) aperture.

I’m kinda cheap, so I never buy Noveske or KAC stuff, cause it just doesn’t make sense to me. Over the years I’ve found Midwest Industries and Yankee Hill to provide good quality stuff at a fair price (neither are actually cheap, UTG is cheap/budget).
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:33:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I have and like Troy battle sights..... I also have a older ARMS #40 that is built like a tank. Not cheap maybe the most $$ of all.   Their new models look very bad ass and are multi tasked and innovative

No Body seems to mention ARMS and Not sure why??

H
View Quote
I wonder the same about ARMS sights. They were poplular a few years ago. What are their new models BTW?
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#28]
I like the Troy rear BUIS, as long as the large aperture is ground away with a Dremel tool.  That way it folds down with the optically superior small aperture.  And the POI difference between the two can be extreme anyway.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I like the Troy rear BUIS, as long as the large aperture is ground away with a Dremel tool.  That way it folds down with the optically superior small aperture.  And the POI difference between the two can be extreme anyway.
View Quote
You can just take the aperture off and flip it around so the little hole lays flat.  Zero with the small hole and POI change won’t be noticeable at the distance you can shoot with the big hole.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 8:57:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You can just take the aperture off and flip it around so the little hole lays flat.  Zero with the small hole and POI change won’t be noticeable at the distance you can shoot with the big hole.
View Quote
Precisely.

In a flip-up, I like the Troy (no spring, just flip-up). Has worked well. And I actually prefer that the larger aperture is what greets my eye should I suddenly need it, others' mileage may vary. I also like that the leading edge of it doesn't overhang into T-2. That gun also has a Yankee Hill Machine front on a railed gas block; YHM makes versions for both height requirements. Solid kit.

Other gun, a lightweight woods companion with standard FSB, gets a fixed DD rear. Install, zero, forget about it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 12:13:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You can just take the aperture off and flip it around so the little hole lays flat.  Zero with the small hole and POI change won't be noticeable at the distance you can shoot with the big hole.
View Quote
I didn't think of that.  Probably would have been a lot easier than grinding the large aperture off.

The POI difference on the one I tried was >8 MOA so I didn't care too much about not having the large aperture.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 6:09:16 AM EDT
[#32]
keep a handgun with ya, incase the buis fail also
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 10:31:34 AM EDT
[#33]
This my favorite fixed rear sight.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 2:53:32 PM EDT
[#34]
KAC is best.
FN SCAR BUIS are a close second. They’re basically a copy of the KAC.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:55:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
KAC is best.
FN SCAR BUIS are a close second. They're basically a copy of the KAC.
View Quote
Apparently, the SCAR sights aren't the correct height for use on an AR.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:58:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
keep a handgun with ya, incase the buis fail also
View Quote
Primary and SECONDARY
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 12:58:36 AM EDT
[#37]
+1 for dank kac quaf
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Are we thru being pissed at Troy?

I just bought a set of ARMS 40L front and rear.

I like 'em.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 2:09:29 PM EDT
[#39]
I have some MBUS Pro's that I like very much. The are so slim when folded they almost disappear. Although these are the only BUIS I own right now.

As a budget option I will be buying standard MBUS for my next rifle that wants BUS.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#40]
KAC First
Magpul Pro Second

I have Troys and they are nice but they have become a company of shitty ethics. There is so much more value for your money in the Magpul pros anyways.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 6:55:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Are we thru being pissed at Troy?

I just bought a set of ARMS 40L front and rear. I like 'em.
View Quote
I forgot about that Troy incident.

I've tried the following: KAC Micros, the older Aluminum base KAC Micro, Troy Folding, Troy Fixed, Arms 40, Arms 40L, Griffin Armament M2 Sights, Magpul MBUS, Magpul Pro, and the standard carrying handle

I've found if the iron sights are folding, I want them to lock. I want them to lock, because BUIS like the KAC Micros are really really easy to knock down and fold on accident. I hate that... I also want the iron sights to have dual apertures, meaning it has a large diameter aperture for close range and a smaller one for longer range. Oh, and I would like the irons to be able to fold with the large aperture, meaning that when I pop the irons up, it's at the larger aperture. If it doesn't have dual apertures, I want it to have only a large one. This is because if I'm using a BUIS, I'm not going to be trying to make a bunch of hits 200-300m+. I'd rather have the larger aperture so I won't be as slow up close. Also, my preferance goes to small, lightweight, and lowest profile BUIS. The Troy, Arms, Magpul Mbus are kinda big on rails. That interferes with some optics and especially charging from the right side of an ambi charging handle.

Out of the list of the ones I've used, I'd recommend every single one of them because they are all great iron sights that are more than sufficient to do the job of a BUIS.
My favorites include: KAC Micros the newer steel based ones, Griffin M2 Sights, and the Magpul PROs.
Currently, I think I'm liking the M2 Sights more than the Micros because they're similar designs, but the M2 Sights are considerably stronger and don't get knocked down easily. With sights that don't lock, you need to be cognizant of that because I've knocked them multiple times and it's annoying.

I really want to try the LMT L8N folding sights. They look really good, dual aperture, elevation up to 700m. The front sight apparently has a clutch that keeps it up until enough pressure is applied to fold.
The Rainier Arms BUIS, looks on paper to be better than the KAC Micros and Griffin M2 imo, because it has a folding aperture while keeping the same profile.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Apparently, the SCAR sights aren't the correct height for use on an AR.
View Quote
WRONG
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:01:43 AM EDT
[#43]
I saw a few tests a while back (possibly a few years) that showed the MBUS standard polymer sights actually held up better than several metal sights in holding zero, combined with the price and the fact that I use Aimpoints gives me faith in them. Due to the price I can also afford to have them on every rifle I own and for basic range work I've never had an issue.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I saw a few tests a while back (possibly a few years) that showed the MBUS standard polymer sights actually held up better than several metal sights in holding zero, combined with the price and the fact that I use Aimpoints gives me faith in them. Due to the price I can also afford to have them on every rifle I own and for basic range work I've never had an issue.
View Quote
They won more to the locking nature of the other buis and not due to material (polymer).  They are good for the price, but I prefer the metal Pros overall
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 3:22:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
They won more to the locking nature of the other buis and not due to material (polymer).  They are good for the price, but I prefer the metal Pros overall
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
One other factor was that polymer deforms/breaks off in chips. While the metal bends.

I did have a foliage mbus crack, but that type of polymer is inferior compared to black
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#46]
As has been stated multiple times, it's hard to compete with the kac for quality and function, and the magpul pro when you consider price. Being a cheap ass that still wanted some nice irons, i picked up some kac rears on ebay and mbus pro fronts from primary on sale. I think all said and done i came out at around $100 per rifle for a nice, albeit mismatched, set of iron sights.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 4:30:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Best: Magpul PRO (with the LR version rear). IMO, they’re better than Matech and KAC. In particular, I love the fact that Magpul’s Pro LR retains both apertures. They just don’t get as much press because the latter two have seen military use. The others are good sights. But part of their popularity is undoubtedly due to people being obsessed with owning “high speed” gear.

Best Budget: Harder to say, as there are a lot of options for BUIS. But the standard Magpul sights are a safe bet.

Inexpensive, but Quality: I’d consider this to be the same as the above Budget category. Again, there are plenty of less expensive options that’ll work.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#48]
For those who prefer the polymer Magpul, the sight set is on sale for 49 dollars at Palmetto again.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 4:06:35 AM EDT
[#49]
I like the Dueck Defense Rapid Transition Sights (RTS).  In the New Zealand Army we have them on our Designated Marksman's Weapon's, and I was so impressed I bought them for my own ARs.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#50]
KAC is the best.

Troy is OK, but I won't knowingly give ANYTHING to Troy.  At ANY price.

MBUS are OK, and pretty cheap.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top