Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2021 6:20:28 PM EDT
What is the best 9mm bolt carrier assembly out there now?
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont think there is a "best", but there are a lot of good ones out there.  I like Brownells branded bolts (I have 2). They have the larger 5.56 extractor and are holding up very well.  I'm sure several folks will chime in with their preferences as well...

Blowback9.com - 9mm AR info and troubleshooting.

(Mods: My site/links/posts generate no income. I am not affiliated with any business.)
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#2]
CMMG as they are the same pattern as Colt.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#3]
CMMG RDB bolt carriers.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 9:41:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What is the best 9mm bolt carrier assembly out there now?
View Quote

WTF knows?  My Faxon works great with my 8.3" barreled, Endomag fed, blowback gun!
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 11:15:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Do the ones with the actual ar15 extractors work better?
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 1:44:03 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the Foxtrot Mike bolts.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 1:59:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 3:49:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
CMMG RDB bolt carriers.
View Quote
If you can find one. Fucking things are unicorns right now. I have one on backorder with CMMG and another on backorder with OpticsPlanet (they said they would be receiving them within weeks but then they never did and updated their ETA to unknown). Probably won't see one until January and the orders were placed 5 months ago. I'm just puzzled how CMMG hasn't caught up with demand by now. My guess is they aren't putting new production BCG towards filling BCG & barrel only orders and are instead only using them for complete guns and uppers (which are readily available).
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 5:48:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I like the Taccom bolts...have four of them.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 6:05:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you can find one. Fucking things are unicorns right now. I have one on backorder with CMMG and another on backorder with OpticsPlanet (they said they would be receiving them within weeks but then they never did and updated their ETA to unknown). Probably won't see one until January and the orders were placed 5 months ago. I'm just puzzled how CMMG hasn't caught up with demand by now. My guess is they aren't putting new production BCG towards filling BCG & barrel only orders and are instead only using them for complete guns and uppers (which are readily available).
View Quote
I just got mine after 7 months.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's awesome. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? There's a 9mm barrel & BCG for sale on GunBroker right now and I am tempted but I don't want to pay the markup. Based on what others had said about their wait times, I was anticipating January or maybe December before I can complete my gun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 11:50:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's awesome. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? There's a 9mm barrel & BCG for sale on GunBroker right now and I am tempted but I don't want to pay the markup. Based on what others had said about their wait times, I was anticipating January or maybe December before I can complete my gun.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, I still need to torque the barrel down and assemble everything.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 3:14:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm using a Gen4 PSA BCG but I would like to try the CMMG Radial Delayed design and feel the difference.  Otherwise the blow back bolts all seem to be roughly the same with various designs for durability.
Link Posted: 11/5/2021 7:16:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Do the ones with the actual ar15 extractors work better?
View Quote

Maybe not better, but the only guns I personally have had extraction problems with used 1911-type internal extractors. I'd rather go with the standard beefy 5.56 extractor since they're easier to find if it breaks or malfunctions.

Technically, blowback shouldn't even need an extractor to function, since it "blows back" the cartridge case, so the difference between the two is probably a moot point.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got three of the LeadStar bolts sold through PSA. VERY nice, uses the AR extractor and has a coated firing pin. I've got several thousand rounds through my three guns, and the bolts have been flawless. They can be had nitrided or coated in colors.

Overall, I do believe the enhanced bolts are superior to the original Colt-style bolts that use the Uzi extractors.
Link Posted: 11/7/2021 10:24:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone have thoughts on the Toolcraft 9mm Black Nitride Bolt Carrier Group?
Link Posted: 11/8/2021 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#18]
I run two toolcraft and one Taccom

I like the toolcraft for the price point and quality.
Link Posted: 11/9/2021 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Colt in my Colt pattern SBR

I have used Aero and Toolcraft in EPC builds and have been happy with them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2021 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#20]
United Defense Labs 9mm BCG

This BCG has one distict difference from the others:

"This Includes excess pressure release holes in the carrier that relieve pressure in case of ammunition failure
to reduce the chance of out of battery firing. This feature has never been seen on any other 9mm carrier."
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 7:24:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

"This Includes excess pressure release holes in the carrier that relieve pressure in case of ammunition failure
to reduce the chance of out of battery firing. This feature has never been seen on any other 9mm carrier."
View Quote

@SCR556

My BS detector is flashing rapidly. Do you have a link to that marketing claim? Don't take it personally, Im not doubting you, I'm doubting their claim.

Blowback OOB failures don't work that way. The case extracts early and the pressure contained in the barrel/cartridge case causes the case walls to blow out. Bolt vent holes are not going to proactively "relieve pressure" and "reduce the chances of an OOB firing". The excess gasses don't contact the bolt until after the case blows out.

Sounds a lot like saying "our special drink coaster under your beer bottle has vent holes that will vent the CO2 from the bottle to keep the bottle from shattering due to overpressure". It doesn't work that way.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 11:19:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Talk about your snake oil......
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 11:52:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Spinta bolt works fine for me
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 7:11:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Here is the description on Gun Deals:

https://gun.deals/product/united-defense-labs-9mm-bolt-carrier-group-enhanced-both-colt-glock-lowers-highest-quality-7

Link Posted: 11/11/2021 7:24:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Faxon.
Link Posted: 11/11/2021 7:26:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm-parts/ar-15/upper-receiver-parts/bolts-carriers/faxon-firearms-9mm-blow-back-bolt-carrier-group/

In stock.
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 9:24:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Toolcraft is always a safe bet at a good price.

My first 9mm build was a RRA 9mm upper bought 12 years ago and I still run that same RRA BCG in another build. Never had an issue.

Recently did a budget build and found an Alpha Shooting Sport BCG on sale, runs fine in a Ghost upper but hasn’t seen a lot of rounds yet. Does NOT run with Endomags at all.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

https://www.wingtactical.com/firearm-parts/ar-15/upper-receiver-parts/bolts-carriers/faxon-firearms-9mm-blow-back-bolt-carrier-group/

In stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In stock.

I believe he meant the radial delayed bolt not the blow back version.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 12:37:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In stock.

You are correct sir. There are lots of 9mm blowback BCGs available. There are no CMMG 9mm radial delayed BCGs available anywhere.
Link Posted: 11/14/2021 7:34:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Stern Defense Bolt

- dedicated 9mm extractor, not just an ar-15 extractor
- correct ramp, works with most triggers
- heavy, 15.5 oz
- several coatings available
- uses standard firing pins
- works with glock and colt magazines
Link Posted: 11/16/2021 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Taccom, High quality and Tim the owner is fast at answering questions
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 4:57:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bolt-barrel order also took about 7 months.
Assembled and put a few hundred through it with no issues.  I don’t have a blowback AR9 for a direct comparison, but I do have a Marlin Camp 9MM and the the RDB is noticeably smoother.  

Using converted M3 PMags as it’s on a multipurpose lower and it’s neat to switch calibers like that.
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Came here to post this same question.
Did not know there were this many manufacturers.

On a side note, I tried the CMMG upper and bolt with my Foxtrot lower and the damn thing never worked right.
Other uppers and bolts worked flawlessly.
Expanding my 9mm configurations and looking to experiment with other bolts.

Anyone play around with lightening the bolt????
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 6:15:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Is JP the only option without pulling a weight for use with a silent capture spring?
Link Posted: 2/14/2022 11:52:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I bought a 9mm Toolcraft for blowback and am very happy with it.
It is a one piece bolt and uses an AR style extractor rather than the pistol extractor some other brands use.

Joe
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top