Edit: Get the damn names correct
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 2:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Dura Mag / C Products Defense
Attachment Attached File

I might have a few.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I typically run actual AK mags and drums with my MGI lower in full auto.

Sometimes when I test with a standard lower I use C Products mags.  They keep up in full auto also.  The ASC 762x39 mags I tested sucked.

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I typically run actual AK mags and drums with my MGI lower in full auto.
https://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/85_762x39_SAW-TungstenWeighted-Carrier_RB5007_308Tubb-1.png

Sometimes when I test with a standard lower I use C Products mags.  They keep up in full auto also.  The ASC 762x39 mags I tested sucked.
https://c3junkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/105_762x39_099Port-KS47-Carrier_RB5007_308Tubb-1-1024x496.png

View Quote

What lower is that? Am I seeing that correctly in that you can modify the mag well for AR or AK magazines by changing magazine well?

Edit: just saw MGI lower

https://mgi-military.com/store/index.php?product_id=40&type=&category=20
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 4:39:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Duramag 100%
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#5]
C Products have been 100% I ran them in a couple Appleseed now.  I like the 28s because they fit in an M4 rig.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 10:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]
@amphibian

Any issues with specific AK magazines in the MGI lower?  I can not use Magpul AK M3 magazines in mine.

Wondering what I am doing wrong.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:43:00 AM EDT
[#7]
ASC are shitty mags. Tight in the mag well, 80% reliability.

Duramags are where its at.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 5:45:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@amphibian

Any issues with specific AK magazines in the MGI lower?  I can not use Magpul AK M3 magazines in mine.

View Quote
Bear in mind that all MGI products were contracted by other manufacturers so there will be variances.  I believe the very first lowers and magwells were made by Stag.  That said, the AK magwells were initially designed for steel AK mags back before Magpul even had AK mags.  I run old Romanian 40 round mags.  Polymer mags like some old Polish an Bulgarian need to have some trimming on them.
To be honest I pretty much just run 75 round drums in mine which require zero mods.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 8:47:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Duramags run 100% in my registered lower and no name upper.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:20:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
ASC are shitty mags. Tight in the mag well, 80% reliability.

Duramags are where its at.
View Quote

Duramag 28 round mags have been 100% in my $ 16 inch 215.00 landed  BCA side charging Franken AR47 free float upper on a Anderson $ 39.00 lower with a Sig Romeo 5 red dot. My goal was to have a cheap rifle for 7.62x39 cheap steel cased ammo that I could keep in the truck. Imagine my surprise when it ran 100% on Wolf military classic ammo and held 3 moa 100 yards.
Your mileage my vary ,and the prices have since gone up .
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Bear in mind that all MGI products were contracted by other manufacturers so there will be variances.  I believe the very first lowers and magwells were made by Stag.  That said, the AK magwells were initially designed for steel AK mags back before Magpul even had AK mags.  I run old Romanian 40 round mags.  Polymer mags like some old Polish an Bulgarian need to have some trimming on them.
To be honest I pretty much just run 75 round drums in mine which require zero mods.
View Quote

I do not know who the manufacturer is for my MGI AK magwell, but my magwell does not look like yours.  Those Romanian drums that you sold me, work everywhere else besides this MGI AK lower.  

Maybe a Dremel fix in the future.

I’ll look for another AK magwell, but they are not common at all.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 8:35:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@amphibian

View Quote

Very few mags will work with the MGI magwell. You are pretty much limited to traditional steel and Thermold. There may be a few others, but I could never find any.

I opted to purchase a Windham Weaponry RMCS magwell (licence produced Hydra) and it has a larger magwell that accepts far more magazines - including Magpul's.

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/mcs-magwellassy-a/

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:48:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I have ASC 20 and 30 rounds mags. The 30's don't work well. Heard AK mag springs can be a fix but have not tried that yet. I have Duramags as well and they seem good to go. I also have some ASC 10 rd mags that work great.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:31:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Very few mags will work with the MGI magwell. You are pretty much limited to traditional steel and Thermold. There may be a few others, but I could never find any.

I opted to purchase a Windham Weaponry RMCS magwell (licence produced Hydra) and it has a larger magwell that accepts far more magazines - including Magpul's.

https://shop.windhamweaponry.com/product/mcs-magwellassy-a/

View Quote

Wow.  Just wow.  I’m so glad I asked and more thrilled you posted that piece.  

Now I’m on the hunt for it.  
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 9:36:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Another vote for Duramag. I have 10 round, 20 round and 28 round 7.62x39 Duramags.

100 percent reliable for me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:34:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Any love for the Unimag?
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 12:51:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Any love for the Unimag?
View Quote

Interesting idea, although you would have to keep loaded mags of different calibers well marked, if you had different caliber rifles to use them in.
Don't see anyone that sells them, one place did, but are out of stock, and the price was about half of what they started out as.

Oh, oh, out of buisness

No problem, would be a waste for me, as the only other small frame AR I have is a .45acp DI.

Primary arms had a sale on DuraMags this past weekend for $15 each, so I have a small pile of them headed this way.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Update on Unimag, I contacted them through their wen site, and they replied:

We do still have a few mags left.  Let me know your billing and shipping details with phone number.  I’ll send you an invoice for payment.  Shipping will be discounted.
Please note, all sales are final.

Cheers
Ross Defense

No mention of price...

Link Posted: 6/16/2022 4:53:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Update on Unimag, I contacted them through their wen site, and they replied:

We do still have a few mags left.  Let me know your billing and shipping details with phone number.  I’ll send you an invoice for payment.  Shipping will be discounted.

Cheers
Ross Defense

No mention of price...

View Quote

or a guarantee if they don't function with any of those calibers.... They give a reason for going out of business?
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Didn't ask.
But you can contact them from their site
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 11:25:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Any love for the Unimag?
View Quote
I got 4 Unimag. They work great for me. I use Unimag to shoot 6.8spc & 7.62x39mm.
Link Posted: 6/17/2022 2:16:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

or a guarantee if they don't function with any of those calibers.... They give a reason for going out of business?
View Quote
IIRC the designer was active on here.  The big issue I saw with them was they cost a lot compared to dedicated mags.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 11:04:08 AM EDT
[#24]
CPD/Duramag, the new ones or the ‘gen III’ CPDs with the black Teflon finish.

RZE Unimag might be another option, I grabbed a few on close out a while ago. They work well with 5.45x39 and I’ve read reports they like 7.62x39.
But I think out of production now. Duramags are cheaper.

I also have a few D&H AR 7.62x39 mags, not had as many rounds thru em as CPDs but they’ve never failed with steelcase. They’re the slab side mags with stamped chevrons on the side. Hard to find, only a few dealers carry them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2022 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Have a 5rnd ASC (needed if I ever go hunting here in Florida).  No issues, like using it at the range.

Have a 10 round Duramag.  No issues, other than I ordered a 10 instead of a 5. Hence the ASC above.

Have a bunch of 30 round Duramags.  No issues with the 4 I've actually used.

Best price on the duramags seems to float between sgammo, jsesurplus, and aimsurplus depending on shipping and current inventory levels.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:36:08 AM EDT
[#26]
The UNI mags were only 20 dollars back when they had them on sale. I bought 5 or 6 and would have bought a few more if I had known that was the last of them for now. They work for me with 223, 6.8 spc, and 7.62x39 though I don't use them often and have never tried leaving them loaded.
I have never had a CP hi cap 7.62 x39 mag that functioned 100% for me and have tried every generation.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Anybody still rocking the frankenmags?
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:16:44 PM EDT
[#28]
DuraMag and CPD have been my favorite.
Elander are great but weird capacity sizes.
ASC 10-15rd have been good.

RWB have been the worst by far. Won't seat in any of my 7.62x39 AR's and won't feed in my Ruger American Ranch. Total waste.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 4:20:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Both the Gtech and USA franken mags work here
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought 6 of the unimags on a whim. They work as advertised, one of the better 7.62x39 mags I've found. Unfortunate that they now seem to be out of business.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 2:06:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Dura Mag, or C-Products, or.....

Gathering parts for new build

Edit: Get the damn names correct
View Quote

I would rate C-Products first, with Duramag a close second and recommend no others.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 4:20:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I bought 6 of the unimags on a whim. They work as advertised, one of the better 7.62x39 mags I've found. Unfortunate that they now seem to be out of business.
View Quote

But they still have them in stock, and their site is still up, and they will still sell you some.
They replied to me after I had already purchased 10 Duramags:

Sent: Thursday, June 16, 2022 6:43 AM
To: [email protected]

Subject: RE: New customer message on June 14, 2022 at 10:55 am

Cheers
Ross Defense

I didn't ask the price...
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 6:37:19 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

But they still have them in stock, and their site is still up, and they will still sell you some.

Cheers
Ross Defense

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers
Ross Defense

I bought 5 last week for $20 each. Total came to $111.95 with shipping.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top