Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2022 10:42:25 AM EDT
I'm looking for a 2 stage trigger for my next build and I want to keep it $100 or less.  I've used the Larue MBT-2S in the past and I've been really pleased with it, but I've read good stuff about the Rock River Arms 2 Stage National Match Trigger.  Just between those 2, which would you recommend?
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:50:33 AM EDT
[#1]
The RRA 2 stage has been really good to me. I recommend it and it is a good choice.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#2]
ive used both and i'm sure i will be in the minority, but i prefer the RRA national match 2 stage over the LaRue.
the RRA is what i use when i don't want to spend the coin on a G trigger.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:06:46 AM EDT
[#3]
The RRA can lose its second stage.  There has been arfcom discussion of a mod to help alleviate that.

I have not heard of a Larue trigger ever doing this.

I have both triggers and they have served me well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:13:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The RRA can lose its second stage.  There has been arfcom discussion of a mod to help alleviate that.  

View Quote

i believe the issue with the RRA's heat treating was addressed years ago.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:14:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used both.

To me, when I consider build construction, consistency, and "feel"....it's not even a debate. MBT wins out.

YMMV
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:14:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I have both and prefer the LaRue trigger.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:15:44 AM EDT
[#7]
MBT is almost as good as a G for 40% of the cost. For me it’s MBT >> RRA.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:18:25 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a RRA NM 2-stage.

It’s definitely usable, and a good trigger.  I like the LaRue better, and I like the Geissele best of all.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I have many of both.

A really well tuned RRA is a very fine trigger, with a cleaner break than the LaRue.  However, they are hit and miss, some are not so clean.  The MBT is very consistent in all that I own and have installed (10+).

I have had an RRA lose the second stage.  I fixed it, and it was the best feeling trigger I had, until it lost the second stage again, then I removed enough metal so it would not lose the second stage again the second time, but it had a slightly heavier break.

For my money, I'm buying the MBT.  I have not purchased a RRA since MBT's came out.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:21:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a RRA NM 2-stage.

It’s definitely usable, and a good trigger.  I like the LaRue better, and I like the Geissele best of all.
View Quote

Agreed.  And I like my AR-GOLD triggers above them all.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:22:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

i believe the issue with the RRA's heat treating was addressed years ago.
View Quote
I recall it was a pin or bushing thing, but memory is faded.

I have two RRA 2S, several MBT 2S, Armalite 2S, Elftmann 2S, Geissele G2S and SD3G, Alg ACT, and several other various triggers.  Diversity.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the RRA NM 2s, MBT 2s and SSA-E 2S

SSA-E is the best. I can't really tell the difference between the other two.  All 3 will serve you well.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#13]
In my limited experience around National Match shooters the Rock River and Armalite two-stage triggers will go around 12,000 cycles or three barrels / seasons.

Here's one experienced shooter's experience:

Rock River Arms National Match Trigger - Failure and Repair
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:55:26 AM EDT
[#14]
You guys are one "trigger happy" group if I have ever seen one.

I still prefer my old LMT 2-stage semi triggers, but the RRA is a pretty good combat trigger as well.
Precision rigs are still running a KAC 2-stage.

But do you really need a SS whatever in a 12.5" SBR AR?
I would think for this application, if you want a 2-stage, the LaRue is best unless you have some old LMTs, or failing that, a RRA.
I really like the old LMTs because of reliability & reset.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 12:01:59 PM EDT
[#15]
EDM cut billet S7 steel vs. ... what again?
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I like RRA NM’s triggers but I stopped buying them after having 2 go FA on me. They’re pretty notorious for that.

I’ve always been a huge G trigger fan and very anti Mark Larue because I don’t like his antics, but the dude makes an amazing trigger. I don’t think I’ll ever buy another SSA-E or SD-E, I honestly like everything better about the Larue triggers. G still has them beat with their DMR trigger though, that is still king as an all out match trigger.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#17]
I have over four dozen, not just one or two, of the Rock River NM2S-V triggers now and have been using them since about 1995 (long before the V version came out but WOA reworked the normal NM2S trigger to 3.5 pounds) and I have only had one trigger that had a problem, the disconnect didn't work right right out of the box.  The rest have been perfect with thousands and thousands of rounds through them both individually and collectively.  The one that was bad out of the box, I sent it back to RR and had a new one in my hands in a weeks time.  Not a single one of my triggers has ever had a problem with the infamous internet mostly BS of "the lost second stage."  To my fingers, the RR is superior to the LaRue (shhhh, don't tell the LaRue fan boys that, they go ape-shit crazy), and the RR did not sell for $250 for ages then suddenly get the price dropped to $80 bucks.  The RR has always been available for not more than about $90 if you knew where to look.  Right now, RTB has the RRNM2S-V for $80 and with the Fathers Day coupon, which just expired, they were down to about $72.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 1:23:03 PM EDT
[#18]
MBT-2S all day for me. Still the absolute best value.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 1:35:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I used  RRA NM triggers for a lot of years, in multiple guns, in  5.56 and 9mm without trouble...recently, shooting my SBR with a  RRA trigger in my CMMG .22lr B unit at about 30,000 rounds the rear of the hammer broke off (dis connector hook)... I e-mailed  RRA and was informed that they would not sell me  just a hammer, but to call and they would fix it.... when I called I did not talk to the originator of the e-mail, but another agent.. when I told him it had at least 25,000 competition rounds of .22lr through it, he commented that they would not warrant it as it had been broken by shooting .22lr, and that .22lr had an adverse effect on the hammers... I did not expect something for nothing, but just to sell me another hammer....

I replaced it with the LaRue MBT 2s... to see how the S7 tool steel holds up... I try to get a good finger placement on the more square front trigger surface, as I perceive a much cleaner trigger break when shooting Steel Challenge, and swinging through the targets.. regards
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 1:39:08 PM EDT
[#20]
double tap
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

This, over half of the RRA NM 2 stage triggers I owned over the years lost the 2nd stage….then I sent them to a guy in CO that was supposed to fix them and I got back a spot welded pile of shit…into the garbage, all of them.   I threw out all of my RRA triggers.   Larue MBT in most of my rifles, those that don’t: Factory KAC in my KAC rifles and a Geissele SSP in my SBR
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 8:38:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This, over half of the RRA NM 2 stage triggers I owned over the years lost the 2nd stage….then I sent them to a guy in CO that was supposed to fix them and I got back a spot welded pile of shit…into the garbage, all of them.   I threw out all of my RRA triggers.   Larue MBT in most of my rifles, those that don’t: Factory KAC in my KAC rifles and a Geissele SSP in my SBR
View Quote

Mighty similar to my setups. MBT-2S in the large majority of my rigs, KAC rifles keep the KAC triggers (they fast), and my HD SBR gets an SSP.

I still have my single stage MBT and it's a great duty trigger...just not light enough for me.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Mighty similar to my setups. MBT-2S in the large majority of my rigs, KAC rifles keep the KAC triggers (they fast), and my HD SBR gets an SSP.

I still have my single stage MBT and it's a great duty trigger...just not light enough for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes the KAC triggers are very fast....had a FUDD range officer at the local public range (Honey Island Shooting Range) tell me full auto is not allowed at the rifle range, told him I was not shooting FA, then he said no bump stocks, showed him the rifle, no bump stock...was shooting very fast triples with the KAC trigger.  Man I hate that public range...
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:14:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Between the two choices, no experience with the RRA but as a fan of Geissele SSA's, the Larue MBT 2 stage makes for a great substitute standard when I don't want to spend the SSA money all the time.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:19:04 PM EDT
[#25]
For under $100 the Centurion version of the schimd tool 2S is hard to beat. The aero and PSA version are ok as well but the centurion version has a cleaner break.

I personally prefer that the disconnector and trigger pivot on the same pin.  The MBT and RRA both have the disconnector on a separate pin.  
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 11:21:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Ill help the original poster cut through all the bullshit and irrelevant triggers being discussed in this thread other than the two triggers he specifically inquired about. I don’t know why the fuck anybody would mention a G trigger when it was never asked about in the original post.

Don’t let the price of the LaRue trigger confuse you about the quality in comparison to the rock river arms trigger. Rock river arms makes a decent Two-stage trigger. But in terms of quality the LaRue trigger is in fact much better quality cleaner and more consistent. Just to put things in perspective the LaRue trigger used to be around $250. It wasn’t until Bill G. somehow pissed off Mark LaRue and Mark lowered the price of his triggers to cut into Bills profits and market share. The Larue trigger is an excellent trigger and an absolute steal for the $99 price tag. It’s a no-brainer actually.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:25:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For under $100 the Centurion version of the schimd tool 2S is hard to beat. The aero and PSA version are ok as well but the centurion version has a cleaner break.

I personally prefer that the disconnector and trigger pivot on the same pin.  The MBT and RRA both have the disconnector on a separate pin.  
View Quote

@Luvman

Help me here...I must me missing something...
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#28]
@77bronc

take a look at pics of the RRA and the MBT trigger.  The disconnector is held in place by a separate pin that's peened in place.

On Big G and Schimd tool variant triggers the disconnector mounts to the trigger pin like an USGI trigger.  I hope I explained that well.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#29]
I prefer the RRA.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 10:03:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@Luvman

Help me here...I must me missing something...
View Quote

Copper colored pin holding disconnector
Attachment Attached File

Standard disconnector held by trigger pin
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a RRA 2 stage and a Larue MBT.  Both are good triggers.  The RRA trigger is a bit lighter, but has a longer pull and longer reset.  The MBT has a crisper break and shorter reset.  If I had to pick one, it would be the Larue MBT.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#32]
For me, comparing:

Larue MBT2
RRA NM
Geissele B-G2S-E

For the LaRue, I use the 'heavier' trigger return spring for a more positive reset.  The take-up/1st stage started out rather gritty but smoothed out after a few hundred rounds.  I find that the Larue has a somewhat long takeup (and a bit heavier with that spring), but a short and crisp 2nd stage/break.  The break is quite far back.

The RRA is kind of the opposite...it has a shorter and lighter take-up/1st stage, but then the break is a bit longer with more overtravel, so may feel a little 'clunkier' but still crisp and not a 'rolling' break.  Still nicer than a lot of milspecs out there.

Geissele B-G2SA-E is the 'goldilocks', nice light take-up, nice predictable but light/crisp break, and not much overtravel.  This one I like best on my 3-gun rifle, whereas the previous I like on more all-around/defensive shorter guns.  However, I also use and adjustable pistol grip screw which has an internal set-screw that shortens the Geissele's takeup.  I think I also use one for the RRA, but not needed with the LaRue.

So for me the Larue and RRA are just fine for all-around use.  The Geissele is a bit faster and helps with precision when I need it.  I prefer nice 2-stage triggers with my 5.56's, whereas I use Hiperfires on my PCC's.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#33]
@Luvman

@FONTY

Yall are absolutely correct....I had a brain fart, installing triggers for years and I use a Geissele .154" slave pin for installs.   Were the early MBT's the same way?  Going back to the $219 MBT's when they first came out years back.

Bronc
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 4:30:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Larue, no question
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 5:34:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
@Luvman

@FONTY

Yall are absolutely correct....I had a brain fart, installing triggers for years and I use a Geissele .154" slave pin for installs.   Were the early MBT's the same way?  Going back to the $219 MBT's when they first came out years back.

Bronc
View Quote

Yes the original ones where the same. Here’s one I bought when they 1st came out for $220 had the gray/purplish color

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 5:45:46 PM EDT
[#36]
MBT-2S is the best "value" two stage, hands down, at least in my book.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I run RRA  3.5# Varmints  and never had any issues.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:04:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
MBT is almost as good as a G for 40% of the cost. For me it’s MBT >> RRA.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#39]
I have 2 RR NM that are the squishiest pieces of crap, the 2 Varmint models are decent. My 4 MBT2S are head and shoulders better than the 4 RRs that I have.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#40]
I have 2 RRA NM and 2 MBT-2S and honestly can't really tell which is which unless I look at my lower.
Link Posted: 6/28/2022 11:59:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have 2 RRA NM and 2 MBT-2S and honestly can't really tell which is which unless I look at my lower.
View Quote

I have 1 of each and observed the same.  Both are great triggers for me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top