BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/23/2018 3:27:25 PM EDT
I have 2 and like them a lot.

I just ordered 2 more as they are on sale for $120 complete with BCG.

Now's the time to jump on one if you've been thinking about it
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:44:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Any parts recommendations when running these uppers? Someone mentioned running them with a reversed gas block (not sure what the point of that would be) in this thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/ALET--Cheap-Side-Chargers/5-2158513/#top
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any parts recommendations when running these uppers? Someone mentioned running them with a reversed gas block (not sure what the point of that would be) in this thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/ALET--Cheap-Side-Chargers/5-2158513/#top
View Quote
I imagine that would be done if you want a manual AR, have to charge bolt by hand after each shot. Putting gas bock on backwards would cover gas hole in barrel.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I like mine a lot. I use it to practice shooting with iron sights.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:34:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have 2 and like them a lot.

I just ordered 2 more as they are on sale for $120 complete with BCG.

Now's the time to jump on one if you've been thinking about it
View Quote
Do you have a link?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Do you have a link?
View Quote
In a dupe of course    https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Bear-Creek-Side-Chargers/4-732592/
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:24:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it really a dupe if it's in a different forum?  

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/index.php/bca-side-charging-receiver-bcg-combo

They've got them in 5.56, 7.62 x 39, and 6.5 G (dual charging)

As well as 5.56 in Left Hand Dual chargers.

It's a hell of  price
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 12:18:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Pardon my ignorance.... Why a side charge?

Only benefit I see is it does not interfere with my 56m scope..

Others?
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 2:10:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I like mine. It works well, especially if you shoot prone and use a scope. I put a tinny dab (i mean really small) of Loctite Blue on the handle threads. The only downside to the handle (and Loctite Blue) is that you have to remove the handle bolt to remove the BCG from the receiver.

I like the gas reversed gas block idea. Are you getting better groups in single action mode?
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 2:42:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Others?
View Quote
Easier to stay on target when charging assuming you purchase the upper with the charger on the support side. Being a lefty, I have 1 (Gibbz) which tosses brass to the left and charges from the right. Hard to beat. I have another left tosser with a conventional CH (pistol). The CH is ambi and is good to go.
Link Posted: 10/26/2018 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Use Loctite Purple- I think 222.  It is a light hold, but holds.  Kinda like gum.  I used on race motorcycles.  Never any problems and relatively easy to dismount.

Sounds like a side charge is a good thing.... Budget might not allow.  Trying to put together a paupers' 762 for hunting.  Would like to mount onto my AF15 lower.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 1:33:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I just had to buy one.  Don't know if it will end up as my 450BM or the can cannon.  Guess I should have bought two.  Hell of a deal if you're in the market.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:18:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Wish they had a left side charging handle on a rt side eject. I know that's not typically where a reciprocating charging handle is located, but it would be nice.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#13]
I shoot rifles lefty so I got the right side charger to play with.
It's a pretty nice setup and it looks pretty cool, too.
I do wish the charge handle wasn't screwed into the carrier, but it does work well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#14]
So, what’s the difference between dual charge and side charging receivers, just the ch?  I’m a bit interested in a 7.62x39...
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So, what’s the difference between dual charge and side charging receivers, just the ch?  I’m a bit interested in a 7.62x39...
View Quote
Yeah.  The "dual" has the side charging handle screwed into the bolt carrier AND a standard rear charging handle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah.  The "dual" has the side charging handle screwed into the bolt carrier AND a standard rear charging handle.
View Quote
Thx.   I like the side charge because the dual seems kinda redundant to me. Oh well, I took the plunge ordered a left hand 556 Dual for my left handed kid and a side charge 7.62x39 for me.  Hope their order system & CS issues don't make me wish I didn't...
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:39:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice!  I bet he'll like it.
Here's a pic of my right handed side charger that I shoot lefty...

Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#18]
For you guys firing these particular side chargers, would I catch some brass in the neck, face, head areas if firing left handed? Not a ton of experience changing buffers but I've never seen much (only a little) difference in brass direction going from a carbine buffer up to an H3. Perhaps a window from approx 3:30 - 4:10 or so. Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Use Loctite Purple- I think 222.  It is a light hold, but holds.  Kinda like gum.  I used on race motorcycles.  Never any problems and relatively easy to dismount.

Sounds like a side charge is a good thing.... Budget might not allow.  Trying to put together a paupers' 762 for hunting.  Would like to mount onto my AF15 lower.
View Quote
I use a locking washer to keep my handle secure.
It sounds like an easy thing to just install a locking washer until you try it. The receiver cut out leaves no room for a washer that is a larger diameter than the handle shaft. (The shafts diameter barely fits into the receiver cut out). I ended up milling the inside of the receiver with a channel for a washer to slide along the inside of the handle cut out. The outside of the receiver looks the same but the inside is cut larger to accommodate the washer. It ended up taking a bit of work but once I decide to do something I can't stop myself. Having a secure handle that is still easily removed and reinstalled is nice though.
I also added a pad over the handle so casings are not ejecting into metal and for a softer and larger surface when charging the gun, as seen in the photo I posted earlier in this thread. I used a piece of the rubbery material that covered a bicycle hook similar to the one below for anyone interested. The material is super strong and resilient and fit the handle diameter perfectly snug.

Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
For you guys firing these particular side chargers, would I catch some brass in the neck, face, head areas if firing left handed? Not a ton of experience changing buffers but I've never seen much (only a little) difference in brass direction going from a carbine buffer up to an H3. Perhaps a window from approx 3:30 - 4:10 or so. Thanks.
View Quote
The charging handle works as a shell deflector.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
As stated above, the handle does kind of work as a deflector.
With that said, I often end up with brass on my shoulder.
I was out a few days ago and shooting from the bench in a seated position.
When I stood up three casings fell from my shoulder.
They were kinda stuck in my hoodie.
I get a few like this from each mag, but it's never hit my face so I don't care.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks guys. I had only seen reference to "maybe" the ch would do some deflecting. From decades ago I still have a few burn marks on my neck where cases lodged in my chin straps. Not fun no matter how much adrenaline is flowing at the moment. Once they issued (rare at the time in my a/o) those carry handle deflectors, my "2", which I admittedly stole from a pallet of supplies, could not be had for a million bucks. Wish I had kept them but at the time, an "AR" was not on my wish list. Far from it. Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 1:33:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I bought one because my buddy said is gives way less gas to the face when suppressed than a rear charging.

Does anybody else have a zipping sound when they run the bolt? My upper has a lot of milling marks inside. It sounds like a Ruger American rifle.

See the milling here
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Still Waiting and Now Concerned!
I ordered a couple (BCA AR-15 Side Charging Upper Receiver/BCG Combo .223 / 5.56 NATO - URBCG-SC15) last Oct 23rd and was debited on the 25th.
On line my order says "Processing". I sent several e-mail to customer service but no reply!
Have yours been delivered?
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 3:40:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Mine took a while to process, then delivered in just 2 days.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I ordered a couple (BCA AR-15 Side Charging Upper Receiver/BCG Combo .223 / 5.56 NATO - URBCG-SC15) last Oct 23rd and was debited on the 25th.
On line my order says "Processing". I sent several e-mail to customer service but no reply!
View Quote
I feel for you, I have two orders with them, 1 I have received and one that's still pending:

Order #1: 11/2/18 - 2 side charged uppers, shipping email received 11/9, delivered 11/12
Order #2: 11/8/18 - 7.62x39bbl & hand guard,  Charged my CC on 11/9/18, order still pending.
Email to customer Service about the order sent on the day of the order, still no reply.  Calls to CS ring are not answered...

On their website it states they are behind so I'm not too worried, but I'm getting a bit upset.  The bbl I'm waiting on is one of their Free to Vets bbl and the rail is not really needed so I can wait on them a bit longer.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I don't mind backorders as long as I know about it.... but one month and no news is regrettable at best.
I like the fact they are billet and anxious to see how they fit on my Noreen billet lowers. I have no barrels though...
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 4:14:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ordered Same item 10/23.
Shipped 10/24
Delivered 10/26
I would try calling them to figure out what happened.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 6:36:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Ordered vet barrel 11/14. UPS label created same day, UPS still waiting to receive outgoing package. I spoke to a young lady who said the vet barrel giveaway really slowed things down. Can't complain too much, since it IS free...but if I had ordered full price I'd be slightly irked by now.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#30]
I spoke to BC Customer Service this AM - they were very nice, apologized, and helpful (Impressive)!
Seems a Snafu happened.
A few hours later I received confirmation the uppers had just shipped.
I'd buy from them again given their professional response.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 4:32:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I spoke to BC Customer Service this AM - they were very nice, apologized, and helpful (Impressive)!
Seems a Snafu happened.
A few hours later I received confirmation the uppers had just shipped.
I'd buy from them again given their professional response.
View Quote
Good to hear, I hope it all works out.  I did receive a shipping notice for my 2nd order, but when I checked on it, the status listed that the label was printed but the package was not in the shipping process yet.  We'll see, I guess.
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Ditto in a certain way - my shipping label was created in the AM.
But it's on the right path as they are on their way and in transit with UPS! .
They arrived (11/28) and are very nice indeed! Happy, Happy! Next step, see how they fit on my Noreen billet lower.
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#33]
WOW, UPS Says it'll be here tomorrow...  
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Why does Side Charging Threaded Receiver Plug Head have a flat side? Any particular alignment?
Mine unscrew by hand. Would Loctite be recommended? What about a thin washer?

Any idea on the bolt specs? MPI? 9310 Steel? Extractor? (I haven't taken my bolt carrier out yet)
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why does Side Charging Threaded Receiver Plug Head have a flat side? Any particular alignment?
Mine unscrew by hand. Would Loctite be recommended? What about a thin washer?

Any idea on the bolt specs? MPI? 9310 Steel? Extractor? (I haven't taken my bolt carrier out yet)
View Quote
The plug sticks out over the lower.  With the flat side down, it will fit on the lower.  Since it won't fit in any other orientation, that also captures it, ie it can't turn to back out.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks AFCarbon15.
I don't have an available lower with me so I have yet to try it. The explanation is great.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Fuck these guys.
Ordered 2 on 10/24.
Emailed direct once and thru their web form once asking for status. One of those was Nov 7 I know. Called them and got a sob story about the vet barrel giveaways slowing down everything (the sale was 2.5 weeks after my order was placed). Said it would ship soon.  Yesterday Nov 28, someone replied to my Nov 7 email saying it’s canceled. Today my order is still pending on their site.
Won’t deal with them again.
Link Posted: 11/29/2018 7:29:41 PM EDT
[#38]
JimTh: I ordered a couple on 10/23 and nothing happened - there were "Processing" in my order on their site. I contacted customer service on their site 10 days ago and had no response.
I called on Monday and explained to customer service the issue. The lady who responded very nice, apologetically, did mention the Veteran barrels, and my order went out that day. I received it today. Undoubtedly, they had an internal processing issue but their response to me was very professional.
FYI, the uppers are nice billet units, well finished and machined. They are almost a perfect fit on my Noreen billet lowers (no adjustments needed). I'll order again.
I hope it all works out for you.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#39]
^
I've been away a few days and meant to respond about the fitment with Noreen lower; mine looks great.
Also, with that screw on the back, I put a little rubber washer to help hold the orientation.
If you try closing the lowers and the screw isn't right it'll stop you.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 1:07:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I have a minor gap between the upper and Noreen lower - it's the thickness of a sheet of paper from the bolt release area to the back of the receiver. I suspect I could mitigate this for an absolute perfect mating with a minor shaving of the bottom of the rear upper receiver post. But, the fit is already tight.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm anxious to hear how your setup performs.
I've been having issues with my mags dropping while shooting.
I changed mag spring, mag catch and then both to a new setup all together and still have the issue.
Noreen's tech department offered to look at it if I send it in, but I want to tinker some more first.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm anxious to hear how your setup performs.
I've been having issues with my mags dropping while shooting.
I changed mag spring, mag catch and then both to a new setup all together and still have the issue.
Noreen's tech department offered to look at it if I send it in, but I want to tinker some more first.
View Quote
I've never heard of this problem. Have you tried tightening the mag release catch?  
I added a small O-ring on the receiver plug - gives it a snugger fit when the flat is aligned to the lower.
It will be a while before I built the lower. Let us know what you find out from Noreen or your testing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
^
I've been away a few days and meant to respond about the fitment with Noreen lower; mine looks great.
Also, with that screw on the back, I put a little rubber washer to help hold the orientation.
If you try closing the lowers and the screw isn't right it'll stop you.
View Quote
I glued a thin piece of rubber from an innertube on top of the rear plug. When I close the upper the rubber makes a tight fit between the upper and lower. My rear plug came with a rubber washer originally.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, I've been fiddling with the mag catches and even when super tight it happens.
I'll get it figured out some time.  
(I'm in the process of packing and moving to a new house, so I've been delayed.)

As for the "washer"; I tried a few different sizes and then ended up cutting a piece of rubber from an outdoor electrical junction box.
It's thin and just help keep the screw from spinning while closing the upper.
Once the upper is closed it really doesn't matter, but I did try to close it a couple of times with the screw not properly indexed.
This fixes the issue.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

On sale again...
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:48:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Others?
View Quote
I also pulled the trigger on this purchase but then it hit me that taking the bolt out for cleaning or god forbid in a pinch would be a real PITA. Someone help me understand this a bit more.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 8:56:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I also pulled the trigger on this purchase but then it hit me that taking the bolt out for cleaning or god forbid in a pinch would be a real PITA. Someone help me understand this a bit more.
View Quote

You need to remove the rear plug and the charging handle to remove the Bolt carrier. It takes longer than a typical rear charging AR.
Since the handle is a part that could unscrew by accident, it's best to use thread locker. Removing and reinstalling the handle also has the added time of installing new thread locker if you want a reliable connection.
I personally avoid removing the carrier unless I really need to but I switched to a lock washer (as mentioned earlier) in case I do.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#48]
For those who have assembled an upper with a lower - which lowers have you used and how do they fit?
The fit on the two photos look great.
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
For those who have assembled an upper with a lower - which lowers have you used and how do they fit?
The fit on the two photos look great.
Thanks
View Quote
I’ve used Aero & Stag lowers w/o issues, but I have an oversized bolt release that is too big, I couldn’t release the bolt with it, Milspec size work.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:29:03 AM EDT
[#50]
My order STILL shows pending on their website.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top