Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2021 12:30:27 AM EDT
First let me say I did a search on here and found nothing, I googled searched 50 beowulf FTF and found on this forum a post from 2011 but when I search on here I cant find it. So sorry for another post about a 50 beowulf issue but I am lost and I have a hunting trip coming up in two weeks with no other rifle to use. So thank you in advance for your info and patience. Ill try to keep this as short as possible while giving all of the details. I purchased a Beak Creek Arsenal complete upper 16'' barrel with a carbine length gas system, I put it on a basic Palmetto State Armory lower with all mil spec parts kit. I have multiple magazines Alexander arms with a standard 5.56 follower, AA with a big bore follower, Magpul gen 2 20 round with a standard 5.56 follower, USGI copy from D&H with a 5.56 follower, D&H with a big bore follower and finally a magpul gen 2 20 rounder with a big bore follower with the front on the magazine filed down in a U shape to make more room for the bigger bullet to feed all of the big bore followers are tromix.  I am using AA 350 grain JHP XTP ammo only. The fire arm was cleaned and lubed prior to my range trip. I fired a total of 60 rounds through the rifle there was no specific pattern that I noticed no magazine was worse or better than the other. Roughly had at least 3 Fail to feed malfunctions per magazine. I tried all different combinations of ammo count per magazine and the results did not change.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dp1eTMU9JYTZrZMg7
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:31:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry hit the character limit on the last post here is the rest of the info.

I am posting photo of my chamber/barrel and BCG because on the other post I found through google someone mentioned removing the barrel and having a gunsmith put it on a lathe. I am not sure if that is what mine needs or not. If your wondering why I am not sending it back to BCA its because the turn around time will take to long so I rather take it to a gunsmith if needed. Or purchase extra power magazine springs if needed. I noticed the case of the ammo is pretty gouged up from what appears to be the feed ramp( I could be wrong) but I am assuming that is not normal. Again thank you in advance for any info you can offer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:55:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Ca you post some pictures of the feed ramp area? If you are getting gouges in the brass, then it would make me think it might be a problem with the feed ramp putting some drag and not allowing the full force to push the round in and close the bolt. Without pictures, that is just a wile speculation.

Also, you are worse than me! Joined 2014 and this is your first post? lol I didn't post from 2014-2020 myself.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ca you post some pictures of the feed ramp area? If you are getting gouges in the brass, then it would make me think it might be a problem with the feed ramp putting some drag and not allowing the full force to push the round in and close the bolt. Without pictures, that is just a wile speculation.

Also, you are worse than me! Joined 2014 and this is your first post? lol I didn't post from 2014-2020 myself.
View Quote

Ha I haven’t posted because I’m new to AR platform rifles and I wouldn’t want to mislead anyone. I’m more of a reader. If you click on the link I have a few photos on there. I will try to get better pics including the feed ramp. It’s hard to get a good picture with my phone. Thank you for the reply.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 7:08:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Beowulfs are known to be hard to get running right and Bear Creek isn't one of the names known to run right. I have to modify the feed lips on my Alexander Arms factory gun with AA mags to feed correctly, and I would try that first. You are definitely scraping brass on your ramps.
View Quote

I added some more photos of the feed ramp. By modify the feed lips what do you mean. Sorry for my ignorance but like I said before this is new to me. The only other AR I have is a SIG 516 which runs flawless. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:13:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:50:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh ok, I’ll look up some videos on how to do that. Thank you for your input much appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:54:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:29:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You bet. You're just tweaking the magazine feed lips slightly upward to increase the feed angle of the round.
View Quote

Turns out the modified Magpul magazines with tropic followers was the ticket. Along with modifying the feed lips. Looks like I’ll be putting up some Alexander Arms 10 Round magazines for sale along with chamber tactical big bore followers. Thanks for your help now that this thing running right I absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:39:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 5:43:21 PM EDT
[#11]
My lower is Daniel defense, 60 rounds no issues. Stick with AA mags.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top