Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2020 8:17:02 PM EDT
Not that bayonets are necessarily retro, but I figure the folks here will have an answer for me....

I’d like to know just where on the flash hider the bayonet’s ring is meant to land.

Most of the M16/M4 FH’s that I’ve seen have two circumferential grooves cut in them. [Why?]

If I put say an M7 bayonet on a 20” barreled rifle (M16-something), should the bayonet’s ring sit:
1) behind both grooves (on the A1 and A2 flash-hiders there are wrench flats here), or
2) between the two grooves, or
3) forward of both grooves?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine sits behind both grooves
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:15:10 AM EDT
[#2]
All the ones I have or have played with sit behind the groves, like this photo.

As for your other question about what the grooves are for, they are used for mounting things to the gun.

Blank Fire Adapter.

Suppressors
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:31:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys!  I had looked at a lot of pictures of mounted bayonets, but none that I found gave such a clear view.

(My interest here comes from wanting to make a mid-length-gas barrel that would correctly fit with a bayonet.  Apparently I guessed right — I cut the barrel so that things fit as shown above.  FWIW, the typical 16” is a bit too short for this.)
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 12:11:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys!  I had looked at a lot of pictures of mounted bayonets, but none that I found gave such a clear view.

(My interest here comes from wanting to make a mid-length-gas barrel that would correctly fit with a bayonet.  Apparently I guessed right — I cut the barrel so that things fit as shown above.  FWIW, the typical 16” is a bit too short for this.)
View Quote
For the bayonet to fit properly with a mid length gas system, the barrel needs to measure 16.625" from the bolt face to the muzzle.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File

Some of us roll a bit different than the pack. ??
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:39:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/64712/20180120_131811_jpg-1274554.JPG

Some of us roll a bit different than the pack. ??
View Quote
Florida man pokes eye out with bayonet.

Ouch!!

Don't you have some spoked wheels to polish on that Triumph??
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, before the XM-148 and M203, a common method of launching grenades was a rifle grenade over the muzzle and launched with a blank.  The groves in the flash suppressor provided for a better gas seal.  Today, they mainly function as a place to attach the blank adaptor but little else.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 4:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Uggh!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top