Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/25/2021 4:14:59 PM EDT
I've been taking a real hard look at home defense these past months. My AR9 (which is now the official house gun) takes Glock mags plus my "night stand" gun is a Glock. I thought about a battle belt arrangement with mag pouches and a holster for the Glock- but realistically I'm gonna be clearing my house in my boxer shorts in the middle of the night. I have a chest rig I got a while back for another project and could implement that.

How would you guys go about this?
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I recommend a battle belt with 2 pistol mags, 2 rifle mags (or shotgun pouch if you prefer), holster, flashlight, TQ and small medical pouch.  Quicker to put on than a chest rig.

I don't recommend clearing your home solo - you will get your clock cleaned if there is more than one attacker.  Better to gather up your loved ones and hole up behind a closed door and dial 911.  If anyone breaks into your safe space, you are on solid ground legally, and also have a significant tactical advantage over any opponents coming through the door.
Link Posted: 8/25/2021 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Belt.

Way, way faster to put on than a chest rig in the dark and rushed, plus it has a pistol holster.  If it don't have plates, then the chest rig has no advantage over the belt.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 9:25:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Magazine Clamp Belt is faster than Chest Rig.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 3:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Unless you're a professional room-clearer, that's a bad idea.  Like the other guy said, gather everyone in the same room, lock the door, get the wife or children on the phone with 911, and get yourself behind some cover with your weapon trained on the door and the safety off.  Much better plan than clearing rooms by yourself.
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 5:44:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends on the chest rig.  Mine is quick to put on and also has holster and pouches for my 9 on right side, three 30 rounders on the left side.  No doubt I will be alerted to the threat by my dog first so will have some time to ready.  That said, lock a 30 into your favorite carbine or SBR and shelter in place until the professionals arrive, or until the fool decides to see what's on your side of the door.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Drop wire through the house to the master so you can light up everything well from one switch panel. And the dogs, dogs are the answer.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you're a professional room-clearer, that's a bad idea.  Like the other guy said, gather everyone in the same room, lock the door, get the wife or children on the phone with 911, and get yourself behind some cover with your weapon trained on the door and the safety off.  Much better plan than clearing rooms by yourself.
View Quote

Except the problem that in order to get the kids you may need to clear the house.  I'd have to go halfway across the house to get my kids.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the replies. After thinking this over I ordered a Vikings Tactical belt. Already have a Blackhawk holster for the Glock but will need to cobble together a med pouch and a some matching mag holders. Will certainly be a work in progress!
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I use and like the AR500 Armor Lower Back IFAK.
For $25 it's affordable and will hold all you need in an easily deployable design that's pretty slick- pull down on the middle tab and it rips out a self-contained insert that holds all of your chosen goodies. Depending on what you put in it, it's big enough to hold sheers if you chose to keep them in there instead of on your belt.
This currently has an IFAK HALO chest seal, 2 versions of Z-fold gauze, flat-folded ACE wrap, small roll of duct tape, gloves, and blue Sharpie (never use red). My 2 cents FWIW

Link Posted: 9/4/2021 2:40:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I recommend a battle belt with 2 pistol mags, 2 rifle mags (or shotgun pouch if you prefer), holster, flashlight, TQ and small medical pouch.  Quicker to put on than a chest rig.

I don't recommend clearing your home solo - you will get your clock cleaned if there is more than one attacker.  Better to gather up your loved ones and hole up behind a closed door and dial 911.  If anyone breaks into your safe space, you are on solid ground legally, and also have a significant tactical advantage over any opponents coming through the door.
View Quote

Single clearing is an art perfected by southern cops with no backup available.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 7:52:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Here's a question for you folks that have more experience on this: If my PCC has a light mounted on it, is there any point in having a handheld on my belt?

(BTW- I went with two double mag mag carriers from Blackhawk. My Glock holster is also a Blackhawk.)
Link Posted: 9/5/2021 1:12:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Here's a question for you folks that have more experience on this: If my PCC has a light mounted on it, is there any point in having a handheld on my belt?

(BTW- I went with two double mag mag carriers from Blackhawk. My Glock holster is also a Blackhawk.)
View Quote

Does your pistol have a light mounted?  If not, then.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:57:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unmounted lights have a LOT of benefits when clearing/ searching a house. Even with a mounted light, I'd carry an unmounted light on my belt (especially since at some point I'd be transitioning to my pistol during that search. The real thing ain't 2-D, and there's always obstacles.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:31:09 PM EDT
[#14]
If home defense for "bump of the night" type of situation, you do not need a fully kitted belt or anything else.  A belt with one or two extra mags plus a light would be fine.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 4:32:42 AM EDT
[#15]
I am kinda echoing the last post about getting the belt to be a bit lighter..  If you are in your own house, there is no need for a boo boo kit since you are in your house and light wounds isn't as serious as the big blood loss needing a TQ.    Also pistols can be a bad man stopper, hence the need for long guns.  So I use my pistols to get to my long gun whether it is shotgun or rifle.  Multiple threats stay down with either.   So on a first line belt, I have just two mags with the pistol having the third, so if there is a magazine fail, I have two others.   Shotgun or rifle should be ready so I have no reload ; time is a factor in crime so be fast and be smooth.

A bigger brighter flashlight that does more than just shine down the hall is nice too.  I just watched a badge cam where the police didn't have a bright light and the bg killed the cop since he was silhouetted against the daylight like a target. You might want one that attracts UFOs to make them shut their eyes.

Use overwhelming force to stop them with multiple defenders, pass the bedside glock to your SO, another to your teenager or responsible family member.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Belt is the way.  Easy on in the middle of the night.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top