Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/2/2018 1:59:33 PM EDT
Looking for a decent back-up pair of sights for an 18-inch midwest industries MLOCK hand guard.  
Brownells recommended the below.  They look nice but are more than I want to spend.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Backup Sights
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 2:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Magpul MBUS

ARMS #71L

Troy BUIS

Griffin M2
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 3:37:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Magpul their MBUS is polymer but affordable.
Use the coupon code for a good price....

https://palmettostatearmory.com/magpul-gen-2-mbus-front-rear-back-up-sight-set.html
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://palmettostatearmory.com/magpul-gen-2-mbus-front-rear-back-up-sight-set.html
View Quote
This, but why would Brownells recommend offset sights? I'm confused.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the MBUS but am leaning towards a 45 degree backup.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Amazon Product
  • Precision Machined from aircraft aluminum and finished in matte Black
  • 45 degree angled Offset allows quick access and transition to iron sights when running a larger primary magnified optic
  • Posy-lock retention detent prevents sight tower from collapsing when in Use

Amazon Product
  • Precision Machined from aircraft aluminum and finished in matte Black
  • 45 degree angled Offset allows quick access and transition to iron sights while running a larger primary magnified optic
  • Posy-lock retention detent prevents sight tower from collapsing when in Use

Link Posted: 10/2/2018 5:30:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I have Daniel Defense 45 degree off-set mounts with Daniel Defense Iron sights on them mounted on my AR.308.  A solid set-up that it built like a tank.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:03:59 PM EDT
[#7]
get the strike industries offset backups and tell me if there are any cons to it. my curiosity was piqued by it, but havent seen it in person. or go kac, mbus pro offset, or xs offsets or griffin armament.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 7:09:18 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD2RCT9www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD2S86K
I am a huge fan of these and anything UTG-Pro or accusync. Utg has really stepped up their game.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Wait until the 15th and check out the new BUIS that MI is bringing out.  MSRP is $159.95 a set and that includes a front sight tool, 4 point kind.  I have a set and have been looking at them and playing with them this last week and they seem outstanding.  I will shoot them later this week but they have a lot going for them.  2.6 ounces a set, steel riser posts front (with steel wings on each side of the standard front sight post) and a stand alone steel rear with single intermediate aperture instead of a small and a large, so you won't have the wrong aperture, ever.  It is small enough for precision shooting yet large enough for close in shooting under low light conditions and I hope to verify this claim later this week.  Only the bases of the sights are aluminum.
What I can attest to is that they set very close to the rail, only extending .437" above the rail on the front and .388" above the rail on the rear, so they will fit under  any optic you might use on an AR. Yet they deploy to standard AR iron sight heights.  As a comparison, the TROY dual aperture is 3.1 ounces a set, has two apertures and if the wrong aperture is in position, it does not fold flat, and is mostly aluminum except for the screws and aperture.
The MI does not have a button to push to deploy or stow but they are held in position with the aide of two strong detent and springs on each sight so they are not about to self deploy or auto fold.  Check them out on Midwest Industries Facebook page.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:30:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Sweet. If you remember please let us know how you like them. I can wait a bit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 10:48:36 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD2RCT9www.amazon.com/dp/B07DD2S86K
I'm impressed with their new sights. I've been using them on a PSA upper. If they were from a different manufacturer they would be double the price and more popular.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:36:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:00:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So, not "basic" as the title implies.

MBUS PRO offset---> $189/set on Amazon, free ship.
View Quote
Came here to suggest the folding MBUS Pro offset.  I have the Pro backups, but not offset.  Were I to want offset backups, I'd get these.

FWIW, I run a mini reflex red dot offset 45 degrees to cover my up close and personal shooting.  My Pros are true backups if the scope ad red dot both failed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Really like the Magpul ones (poly). I'm not a hardcore shooter either but they have severed me fine. I like that they pop up with a simple push instead of needing to pull them up manually.

With that said. I have considered getting the Magpul Pros but never gotten around to it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/5/2018 11:30:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm needing a set of BUIS for a pistol and was planning on getting another set of the Magpul MBUS but I've been looking at the UTG accu-sync BUIS and might give them a try and see if they are as nice as people are saying.

UTG accu-sync front at Joe Bobs

UTG accu-sync rear at Joe Bobs
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 1:36:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm needing a set of BUIS for a pistol and was planning on getting another set of the Magpul MBUS but I've been looking at the UTG accu-sync BUIS and might give them a try and see if they are as nice as people are saying.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm running these over MBUS now for budget builds.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:24:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Came here to suggest the folding MBUS Pro offset.  I have the Pro backups, but not offset.  Were I to want offset backups, I'd get these.

FWIW, I run a mini reflex red dot offset 45 degrees to cover my up close and personal shooting.  My Pros are true backups if the scope ad red dot both failed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So, not "basic" as the title implies.

MBUS PRO offset---> $189/set on Amazon, free ship.

I quoted the above because at least one other person hears "BUIS" and doesn't assume offset. Don't know @MS556 so can only speak to my rationale ...

If I need BUIS then I prolly need distance or precision?

If I'm starting with 2 variables (bore angle and bullet drop - elevation for the purpose of this question - and windage) which affect POA/POI, why would I add a 3rd variable (horizontal axis due to 45degree offset) especially if that 3rd value complicates my windage variable?

Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 10:54:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I quoted the above because at least one other person hears "BUIS" and doesn't assume offset. Don't know @MS556 so can only speak to my rationale ...

If I'm starting with 2 variables (bore angle and bullet drop - elevation for the purpose of this question - and windage) which affect POA/POI, why would I add a 3rd variable (horizontal axis due to 45degree offset) especially if that 3rd value complicates my windage variable?

Am I missing something?
View Quote
Your over thinking it. Sights at a 45 are for shots too close for the optics. Zero at 50yds and they are +/- 2'' 0-220yds. You tilt the rifle to use the sights what is the windage variable your confused about? Even with optic you should never dial for windage. Dial for elevation and hold off for windage.

Oh and English is probably not prolly.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 3:37:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Your over thinking it. Sights at a 45 are for shots too close for the optics. Zero at 50yds and they are +/- 2'' 0-220yds. You tilt the rifle to use the sights what is the windage variable your confused about? Even with optic you should never dial for windage. Dial for elevation and hold off for windage.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Am I missing something?

So you prefer optic for distance and BUIS for close work vs. (or in your case "versus") optic and BUIS for distance w/ (or in your case "with") red dot for close work? That's cool. Thanks for the +/- data under 220yds.

Again, my reference is distance (e.g. (or in your case exempli gratia) <300m (I can abbreviate here because you abbreviated yards as "yds" - right?) so if bore trajectory is vertical and rotated 45, then that trajectory has not-insignificant implications at, say, 450m and (I think) they are no longer elevation. But I could be wrong.

However, I'm not wrong that you started your post with "your" when your usage requires "you're" instead of your.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tech forums on grammar.  Lame.
View Quote
I'm sure nobody prolly cares about it anyway. I'm finna get me some BUIS yo.
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 5:35:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/6/2018 9:23:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Tech forums on grammar.  Lame.
If you're "finna" then "yo" is prolly mo' likely to be "y'all" ... just sayin'
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

So you prefer optic for distance and BUIS for close work vs. (or in your case "versus") optic and BUIS for distance w/ (or in your case "with") red dot for close work? That's cool. Thanks for the +/- data under 220yds.

Again, my reference is distance (e.g. (or in your case exempli gratia) <300m (I can abbreviate here because you abbreviated yards as "yds" - right?) so if bore trajectory is vertical and rotated 45, then that trajectory has not-insignificant implications at, say, 450m and (I think) they are no longer elevation. But I could be wrong.

However, I'm not wrong that you started your post with "your" when your usage requires "you're" instead of your.
View Quote
Once again, when using the sights you roll the rifle 45 degrees so the irons are on top. Therefore elevation and windage are the same as they are if the sights were mounted in the normal position. Why is that so hard to grasp?
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Am I missing something?
View Quote
Yes, quite a bit.
Link Posted: 10/7/2018 11:05:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I run offset sights on my rifles with a scope. Rifles with a red dot have standards. Mix of magpul mbus or pro and DD fixed
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 7:50:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/8/2018 5:59:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Once again, when using the sights you roll the rifle 45 degrees so the irons are on top. Therefore elevation and windage are the same as they are if the sights were mounted in the normal position. Why is that so hard to grasp?
View Quote
Exactly.  Roll the rifle 45 degrees without ever lifting your head.  Sights are then straight up over the bore.  Even if you cant a bit, this is intended for in close work, so the cant will not cause you to miss the vital area on a man sized target inside 50 yards.

To be clear.  When you pull the trigger on a round with 45 degree offset sights, the rifle will have been rotated 45 degrees and those sights will be pointing straight up vertical and your sight plane will be directly over the bore.
Link Posted: 10/15/2018 4:52:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wait until the 15th and check out the new BUIS that MI is bringing out.  MSRP is $159.95 a set and that includes a front sight tool, 4 point kind.  I have a set and have been looking at them and playing with them this last week and they seem outstanding.  I will shoot them later this week but they have a lot going for them.  2.6 ounces a set, steel riser posts front (with steel wings on each side of the standard front sight post) and a stand alone steel rear with single intermediate aperture instead of a small and a large, so you won't have the wrong aperture, ever.  It is small enough for precision shooting yet large enough for close in shooting under low light conditions and I hope to verify this claim later this week.  Only the bases of the sights are aluminum.
What I can attest to is that they set very close to the rail, only extending .437" above the rail on the front and .388" above the rail on the rear, so they will fit under  any optic you might use on an AR. Yet they deploy to standard AR iron sight heights.  As a comparison, the TROY dual aperture is 3.1 ounces a set, has two apertures and if the wrong aperture is in position, it does not fold flat, and is mostly aluminum except for the screws and aperture.
The MI does not have a button to push to deploy or stow but they are held in position with the aide of two strong detent and springs on each sight so they are not about to self deploy or auto fold.  Check them out on Midwest Industries Facebook page.
View Quote
Any updates? I just realized its the 15 lmao.

ETA https://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/Combat-Rifle-Sight-Set-p/mi-crs-set.htm they look good.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top