Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/30/2020 1:43:09 PM EDT
Can anyone provide their personal experience with the latest piston driven Rec 7 gen 2? Especially when shooting suppressed? Any issues? Reviews I’ve read have been mostly positive.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag for info.
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Anybody?
Link Posted: 3/31/2020 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
It's my favorite rifle. I have the flyweight.
Accuracy seems as good as any of my other 16" carbines.
I only shoot suppressed, and it does that very well. Of course it is can dependent on how much gas to face you get.
Only thing I did was install a BFG sling and Triji MRO.
ETA: also added a Raptor charging handle.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:37:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's my favorite rifle. I have the flyweight.
Accuracy seems as good as any of my other 16" carbines.
I only shoot suppressed, and it does that very well. Of course it is can dependent on how much gas to face you get.
Only thing I did was install a BFG sling and Triji MRO.
View Quote

What can are you running? What rounds?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What can are you running? What rounds?

Thanks
View Quote

YHM ULT, and Turbo.
I usually run Wolf Gold, but have shot 855 and anything else in my stash.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

YHM ULT, and Turbo.
I usually run Wolf Gold, but have shot 855 and anything else in my stash.
View Quote

That’s not exactly a low back pressure can, so that’s a good thing.

I’m going to try one more trick with my SR-15, and if that doesn’t work, I’m selling it for the Barrett.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/SR-15-16-Mod-2-with-QDC-556-suppressor-gas-blow-back-/381-294356/
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:14:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That’s not exactly a low back pressure can, so that’s a good thing.

I’m going to try one more trick with my SR-15, and if that doesn’t work, I’m selling it for the Barrett.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/SR-15-16-Mod-2-with-QDC-556-suppressor-gas-blow-back-/381-294356/
View Quote

As long as I don’t do mag dumps, it’s pretty good. I’m a lefty, so I notice gas quite a bit sooner than you righties.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 12:58:39 AM EDT
[#8]
I have the regular Gen2 Rec7 5.56 carbine with a SilencerCo Hybrid, Q Plan B mount, and a Q Cherry Bomb muzzle brake.
I've only shot about 1000 rounds of Federal 55gr through it so far, roughly a third suppressed.

My experiences with the gun:

- The flash hider ping is very noticeable.
- The recoil impulse is sharp and the muzzle rises up and to the right.  Controllable, but you won't mistake it for a DI gun with a good brake.
- The gas block heats up quickly.  You won't make the mistake twice of touching the hot gas block or front sight without a glove.
- Brass usually goes to 2 o'clock
- The Cherry Bomb will cause muzzle flash, enough that you'll see the fireball through your optic.
- Trivial to clean, even shooting suppressed.
- Light for a piston gun.  Handles well.  Never weighed me down, even when carrying it in an all day class.

Things I like:

- The fit and finish is top notch.  It feels really good in your hands.  Nothing is wiggling around or loose.
- The Geissele trigger is fantastic
- 45 degree ambi safety
- Suppresses well
- Zero malfunctions
- Ease of maintenance.  BCG requires less cleaning and the gas system is easy to take apart, if needed.

Things I don't like:
- No ambi bolt release or mag release
- Hand guard doesn't extend past the gas block.  I know why (neither gas venting from the piston nor the hot gas block would feel good on your forearm), but if you mount a light on your gun, expect a lot of barrel / suppressor shadow, even with a forward mount.
- The flash hider.  Did I mention it pings like a tuning fork?

Overall, I love the gun.  It's rock solid.  I just wish Barrett made a piston version in .300 BO.  The short barrel version would be a very tempting PDW / home defense / backpack / truck gun and would also suppress well.

--Rando in TN
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Rando.

I would be replacing the factory flash hider with a Knight’s QDC flash hider for my QDC 556 can immediately. Likewise, my SCAR’s gas block and all of my AR DI guns’ gas blocks get hot as heck suppressed. I always wear a glove when running them suppressed anyway (Vickers Gloves are good).

Key for me is no gas to the face. I have two military grade suppressors (Surefire SOCOM RC2 and Knight’s QDC), so both should in theory run.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top