Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2021 10:38:53 PM EDT
Let's assume 2 barrels, 18in .223 wylde/5.56, identical weight.  One achieved weight through contouring, the other through fluting.

I assume some stress is imparted both through contouring and fluting.

Fluted barrels get better cooling and better rigidity I suppose, but theoretically more stress.

Or perhaps modern methods have limited or eliminated the stress.

Please share your insights, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:54:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Two barrels of the same weight, the fluted one will be stiffer. (larger diameter)

If done correctly, fluting doesn't kill the accuaracy of a barrel. Skip Otto liked the harmonics of a 25" barrel in Benchrest, but he had to flute it in order to make weight. He said the secret was to use cutters that "were sharp enough to cut your fingers on". A sharp cutter doesn't displace as much material when cutting. If that makes sense.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:59:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Faxon Q&A #2: Barrel profiles, length, fluting and more!
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:59:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Im not a big fan of fluting.  A MODERN 2021 production skinny contour BBL stress relieved by a capable manufacturer, shoots just fine.  My very light FAXON Gunner amazes me.  It's 1 MOA, and when I do a 60 round mag-dump, and then zero check, POI doesn't move at all.  Try that with a 1980's skinny barrel and you're never going to get that. But today, with typical modern higher puritiy metallurgy and stress relieved processes, it works.  It works surprisingly well.  

Flutes are a lot of cuts on a barrel.  If those cuts aren't PERFECTLY aligned, and aren't perfectly and uniformly stress relieved, you've going to get some weird stuff happen as that barrel heats up, because you are going to have uneven stress changes.   And fluting isnt cheap, as manufactures have to spend the time and money to try and achieve just that.  

Link Posted: 3/2/2021 3:08:53 PM EDT
[#4]
The old WW Bushmaster did excellent barrel fluting.  I have an old 20" factory fluted HBAR (the flutes are DEEP) and it is right in between the weight of a GI and a HBAR profile (~ 8 lbs. even w/ sling vs. 7.5 for GI and 8.5 for HBAR).  It balances well and is SUPER accurate.

With modern CNC machining, I don't believe it is difficult to properly flute a barrel without causing undue stress on the barrel.  No one does the fluting anymore because it is more machining work and cost than just reprofiling the barrel to be thinner, but I think if done properly, you get better results for comparable weight with fluting vs. reprofiled.  

I just don't know anyone I'd trust to do it!  

Can you sum up the results vs. trying to make people watch a 30+ min video?
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The old WW Bushmaster did excellent barrel fluting.  I have an old 20" factory fluted HBAR (the flutes are DEEP) and it is right in between the weight of a GI and a HBAR profile (~ 8 lbs. even w/ sling vs. 7.5 for GI and 8.5 for HBAR).  It balances well and is SUPER accurate.

With modern CNC machining, I don't believe it is difficult to properly flute a barrel without causing undue stress on the barrel.  No one does the fluting anymore because it is more machining work and cost than just reprofiling the barrel to be thinner, but I think if done properly, you get better results for comparable weight with fluting vs. reprofiled.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It was a ramble-fest that wasn't nearly as topical as implied.  I hate the way people just post links to 30 minute video's, thinking everyone has time to kill just watching their important posted video link; without providing jack squat for summary of assessment of what it says ahead of time.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 12:46:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It was a ramble-fest that wasn't nearly as topical as implied.  I hate the way people just post links to 30 minute video's, thinking everyone has time to kill just watching their important posted video link; without providing jack squat for summary of assessment of what it says ahead of time.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It realy isn't a ramble fest, but for people that can't sit still and pay attention for 30 minutes, I understand why you'd think it is.

Watch it, don't watch it, your call, but LMAO at complaining about people offering info.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:41:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Fluting is way more expensive than reprofile. From the start on a blank, profiling is free, Fluting cost almost as much as making a whole barrel from a blank. Fluting is only for my lightweight uber accuracy barrels.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top