Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/10/2021 4:06:28 PM EDT
I'm fighting a barrel that seems to be a fuz too thick at the extension.

I had to use a mallet to get it into one reciever, then figured it was a questionable reciever and pounder it back out.

Trying on another new upper and same issue.  This is a new barrel, EE purchase, and tried on two different uppers.

I don't have any problems torqing it on, just never ran across this before.

Flap wheel to the upper for a looser fit? Pound it in and run it? Junk it? What say you?

Matt
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:12:18 PM EDT
[#1]
People pay extra for an interference fit with the upper. Heat up the upper with a hair dryer or heat gun and tap in in until seated and torque your barrel nut. Enjoy your enhanced accuracy.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People pay extra for an interference fit with the upper. Heat up the upper with a hair dryer or heat gun and tap in in until seated and torque your barrel nut. Enjoy your enhanced accuracy.
View Quote

Sweet! It's like a 10 inch barrel so not sure how much accuracy I'm going to get out of it, but that's good news.

Thanks for the comment.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sweet! It's like a 10 inch barrel so not sure how much accuracy I'm going to get out of it, but that's good news.

Thanks for the comment.
View Quote

Barrel in the freezer for an hour or two and heat the upper with a heat gun right before you put the two together. Will probably slip fit at that point and when both come to room temp they'll be press fit with no mallet involved.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:35:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

this
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:52:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

this
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

this

this this
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:56:24 PM EDT
[#6]
What the others have said. Heat/install. I believe BCM uppers require this method for barrel installation.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Throw bbl in chest freezer overnight.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 5:32:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I learn something new here everyday.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#9]
tight press fit is a good thing. That set up should shoot well.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 5:52:41 PM EDT
[#10]
OP won the barrel/receiver lottery.

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 6:14:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OP won the barrel/receiver lottery.

View Quote

Guess so.

It's taking a break in the deep freezer right now. I'll assemble after supper
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 8:05:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the same problem with an aero upper and colt barrel extension
The solution is very simple Use a hot air blower or propane gas burner to heat the housing well,
approx. 200 C, of ??course, not until the aluminum melts or the anodizing becomes discolored.
When heated, aluminum expands much more than steel
After about 20 seconds with the gas burner you can easily insert the barrel into the upper part of the housing
to separate it, simply heat the housing again from the outside and carefully knock it apart again,
for example with a wooden stick, this works really well without causing damage or scratches on the housing,
by the way there are videos about it on you tube
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#13]
People use shims to get that tight of fitment.  Leave the barrel in the freezer for at least a day for the best effect.  You need to slow those molecules down to a standstill.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#14]
By the way I am very happy with that bomb proof thight fit with absolotly no play
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top