User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2021 6:09:21 PM EDT
Anyone have tips,tricks,tools or videos on how to clean the extension properly
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a chamber brush with some Mpro7 cleaner.

One thing that I'm glad I grabbed and been using was some of those cotton chamber stars, they make the process so much quicker and thorough.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Who makes them ? I seen mixed review on some but not sure who makes them
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who makes them ? I seen mixed review on some but not sure who makes them
View Quote

I get the Tapco ones, they are awesome. Just throw them on a patch holder and it cleans up the lugs real quick.

ETA. I like them over the Avid and Otis ones I've tried
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I get the Tapco ones, they are awesome. Just throw them on a patch holder and it cleans up the lugs real quick.

ETA. I like them over the Avid and Otis ones I've tried
View Quote

I’ll look into them, ever try the swab it chamber ones
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:43:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I’ll look into them, ever try the swab it chamber ones
View Quote

No, but I know what you're talking about. IMO the Tapco ones would seem to do a better/quicker job because there's more cotton "lugs" verses just the two on the Swab It version. Not only that but I prefer cotton over foam.

The only thing is that if you are too aggressive with the Tapco ones they will come off the slotted jag.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I snip off the end of a q-tip and secure that in a pair of curved surgeons forceps. Works perfect.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Anyone tried one of those nylon bristle chamber brushes? I've thought about it but never pulled the proverbial trigger.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:32:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I wrap a 3” Otis patch around a nylon chamber brush and twist in into the chamber. Comes out pretty damn clean.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 12:42:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Extension: I use one [broken off end] of a cleaner soaked q-tip held with hemostats to clean inside and underneath the lugs
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 1:26:10 AM EDT
[#10]
After you clean the bore then tackle the extension; shoot some brake cleaner in that bad boy, jam a rag or paper towel in there an wriggle it around a little, hit it with the brake clean again, then spray some lube on it.
Done.

My lower receiver, BCG and 1911 cleaning method is the same; hose down with brake clean, wipe, hose down again, then lube.  My local Auto Zone probably thinks I'm drinking the stuff.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I snip off the end of a q-tip and secure that in a pair of curved surgeons forceps. Works perfect.
View Quote

+1 to this. I learned this trick several years ago from a guy named Quib.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#12]
What I use is a CAT Outdoors Talon Lug Scraper and star shaped chamber cleaning pads.

AR-15 - Talon Tool & CATM4 Cleaning Tools - Tactical Tolerance

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BRC1FX6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079BTJD54/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited to add:  I've also got their CAT M-4 scraper and it works well on cleaning the carbon collected on the bolt, firing pin, and carrier.

Link Posted: 3/11/2021 9:11:27 AM EDT
[#13]
For situations like this, if you can go out to the shop or garage, driveway, whatever you have, and go at it with some brake cleaner and blow it out with compressed air (if you have an air compressor) usually works great for me, especially if you loosen the crud up with a brush. Just watch out for blowback in your face, probably be best to at least eyepro on.
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#14]
chamber brush, 45 cal patch, oil.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top