Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/19/2023 2:31:44 PM EDT
I am in need of some advice of what kind of barrel would be best for my first build. I currently have aero precision upper and lower, haven't gotten much past that besides the timney trigger. I am looking at a barrel that can be accurate but isn't super heavy. I will mostly be target shooting but could possibly be using the gun for LE purposes later on in life. There are just so many options and I am not the best at deciding when there are endless options to choose from.

Also, any recommendations on BCGs?
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:33:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Also, I do plan on adding a can on eventually.

Please let me know yalls experiences with these products as I am somewhat of a novice and any tips I should be aware of throughout my building process. It is a 556 aero precision.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#2]
A 16" with midlength gas is about the best all-around option there is.  I have never had a middy 16 fail to run from the go, unlike some other combinations.  Weight is dependant upon profile.

If adding a can, a 14"ish barrel with a pinned and welded muzzle device that will take a suppressor might be handier.  But it is a bit more complicated unless you can, or you have someone nearby who can, weld over the pin.  Otherwise you have to send it off to someone which adds to the cost.  

You can also go with a shorter barrel, 10.5 - 12.5, and permanently pin/weld a direct thread can, but then you will be suppressed 100% of the time.  I suggest these dimensions as they avoid the hassles of SBRing.

There is a balance of handling and performance.  Shorter = slower velocity, and it compounds significantly as you go below 14.5 length.

Again, all-around, it is hard to beat the 16" middy.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 2:58:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I found a light weight Noveske 16" barrel with a mid length gas system.  It comes with both a Noveske gas block, gas tube, and all required roll pins and an Allen screw.  I didn't want a heavy profile barrel, so I was looking for a light weight 16" or 18" barrel.  My first choice would have been a light weight 18" barrel with a rifle length gas system, but I couldn't fine one.

You might want to look at the thread I started asking about barrels as there might be some useful information in it for you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 3:11:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Criterion makes a 16" mid gas in their ultralight (1.7lb) and hybrid (2lb) contours. They are chrome lined and very accurate. I believe they are the best bang for the buck quality barrels.

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-ultralight-barrel-carbine-gas-chrome-lined/?v=7516fd43adaa

https://criterionbarrels.com/products/ar-15/ar-15-hybrid-mid-gas-barrel-chrome-lined/?v=7516fd43adaa

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:50:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Noveske N4 in 14.5” with Surefire Warcomp  CTN and suggest Surefire Can !

Or

Without Surefire Can
16.1” Noveske N4 barrel Recon
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 6:24:20 PM EDT
[#6]
https://bkingsfirearms.com/product-category/5-56-nato/
B King Firearms has some good prices on BA Barrels. Joe Bobs has some good bolt carrier assemblies. I'd go 16" or 18" mid-length gas system. I also prefer lighter barrels.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 12:05:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://bkingsfirearms.com/product-category/5-56-nato/
B King Firearms has some good prices on BA Barrels. Joe Bobs has some good bolt carrier assemblies. I'd go 16" or 18" mid-length gas system. I also prefer lighter barrels.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Faxon gunner profile
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top