Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/11/2022 3:45:32 AM EDT
I ran wet patches down an AR with a new LaRue Upper with stealth barrel to give it a coat of oil as it has been sitting in the safe for a while. Afterwards I noticed patch remnants clinging to the inside of the barrel that I was unable to remove with subsequent patches (they only moved the remnants around). I then attempted removing the remnants with a Nylon brush and now there are approximately 4-5 patch fiber/nylon brush fiber remnants in the barrel. As subsequent brushing and patching only move the remnants around I ran a wet patch down the barrel and put the AR back in the safe. I am using a Dewey Rod with a JP bore guide and Dewey patches and a Dewey nylon brush.

Regarding this I have several questions:

(1) What are some methods to remove these remnants? (I am not planning to shoot the AR for awhile).

(2) Is it normal for such remnants to remain after brushing/patching?

(3) Are the remnants cause for any concern while the AR is in the safe? (Meaning could the presence of the remnants attract moisture and lead to corrosion?)

The safe is in a climate controlled room with a dehumidifier. Inside the safe is an additional internal dehumidifier and Zerust tabs. The humidity level inside the safe is 40.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:37:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never had a patch tear up in the barrel before.

What type of patch/material are you using?

I'd think the brass brush would grab any loose fiber/material in the barrel and drag it out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:21:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never had a patch tear up in the barrel before.

What type of patch/material are you using?

I'd think the brass brush would grab any loose fiber/material in the barrel and drag it out.
View Quote

Patches: Dewey 1-1/4” round cotton flannel patches. Patches are used on a Dewey Brass Pointed Jag.

https://deweyrods.com/product/1-14-round-patches-100bag/

Brush: Dewey .22/.223 Nylon Brush.

https://deweyrods.com/product/22-caliber-nylon-rifle-brush/

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I just got some square patches in so I will try those on the jag and I’ll try switching to a bronze brush.

If that doesn’t work I’m going to order:

(1) Parker hale jag and try patches with that;
(2) Swab-it’s bore tips - hopefully will have enough surface contact to push everything out;
(3) VFG Felt Pellets - hopefully will have enough surface contact to push everything out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Could it be that the patches are catching on the gas port hole.  Could be very small burs on the gas port hole.  Shoot it and then clean, report back
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top