Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2022 1:42:01 AM EDT
I'm considering bedding my AR barrel w/ Green Loctite to see if it tightens groups up at all. While this is a precision build, I do want the ability to do a magdump or two once in a while.

Loctite 620 is rated for ~400-450F. I do not know how hot an AR barrel extension gets compared to rest of barrel. I don't want to bother with bedding if it's going to be undone by a magdump.

Does anyone know how hot the barrel extension itself gets during say, 15-30rds of sustained fire?

Also, anyone wanna talk me out of bedding my barrel? lol
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 2:01:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I don’t know how hot the barrel extension will get, but I’ve used shims in the past in lieu of the loctite and have had nothing but good things to say about  the uppers’ accuracy after doing so.

ETA: bonus is that the shims aren’t a permanent mod in case you change the barrel later on.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I have done it on several of my uppers and it works great.  Also note that BCM uppers are all undersized and are the tightest fit possible so you could go that route also as they are really good option.  I have several of those too.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 8:51:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Precision and mag dumps are not compatible IMO.  Nothing burns out a throat faster than a few mag dumps and you’ll never see a barrel of mine being mistreated in such a way.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#4]
With current prices, if you can afford to do "mag dumps" you can afford to grab a cheap PSA upper to do them with. Don't burn up your good barrel
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:13:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I normally shim, but hold the shim in place with green loktite.
That way, the shim stays with the barrel when removed.

But in this next build am looking at either plating up the OD of the barrel extension, or building up the ID of the reeiver with KalGuard GunKote, which is extremely hard.

But also agree with Big Bore, that it's not wise to do mag dumps on a precission rifle, unless you want it to shoot like a precission AK
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:20:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
unless you want it to shoot like a precision AK
View Quote

I wish I had said that.  Excellent!
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Cant comment on the possible heat issues, but I do bed my barrels with Loctite after I face the receiver.
I think it helps.
All thing considered I would just prefer to have an undersized receiver, but I dont.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]
It takes a mapp gas torch, and serious elbow grease, to separate parts attached together with Loctite 620. I’ve used it to attach and index FAL flash hiders and various suppressor mounts.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 10:48:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don’t know how hot the barrel extension will get, but I’ve used shims in the past in lieu of the loctite and have had nothing but good things to say about  the uppers’ accuracy after doing so.

ETA: bonus is that the shims aren’t a permanent mod in case you change the barrel later on.
View Quote

Good excuse to just build another upper
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good excuse to just build another upper
View Quote

This is actually the answer for any issue, even women problems
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Use BCM uppers requiring thermal fit or use shims.  With those two better options, I do not get why anyone would want to use loctite?
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:55:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Use 603, the heat is not issue as you are using it to fill a void. Make sure your “filling” it. A mag dump “which I would do on a precision build anyway” might soften it but enough to cause it to leak. After 603 is cured it will “soften “ w heat but still stay in place and keep tolerances tight. I would recommend lapping the upper and barrel seat as well. I used to use lapping tools before my lathe. This makes A HUUUGE difference in accuracy alone. I “blueprint” or accurize all of my custum builds for customers now. Good luck… friends dont let friends mag dump nice guns!!! Lol
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:56:10 PM EDT
[#14]
^^^ I meant I would “not” do in first sentence
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Just use shims.  Very thin shim stock is cheap and can do several barrels.  Square the upper face.  Try fit the barrel.  It might not need shims or green loctite, anyway.

I'll join the chorus by saying don't destroy the throat of a match barrel with mag dumps.  If it needs high rate of fire because it is being used in real defense, do what you have to do and replace the barrel.

Honestly, I can't envision a real world civilian defense scenario where mag dumps would be useful.  Its not like you would be called on to lay down suppression fire to support someone else.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top