Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/9/2021 12:50:22 AM EDT
So I've recently switched over from Breakfree to Ballistol for cleaning. Breakfree seems to just make everything oily, but ballistol cleans up well and leaves some very slick film even when wiped off. Ive been cleaning my bore with ballistol, especially on a barrel I shoot corrosive ammo through and it definitely does clean up those potassium salts. Usually when I'm done, I lightly grease my bore with a my own Superlube mixture of WS2/Boron Nitride/Peppermint oil extract. Ballistol smells really bad which is imo the biggest downside.

I would love to know some people's experience with both ballistol and breakfree and your thoughts about both of them

I've tried everything from Fireclean to Rem Oil to ALG Go Juice, to motor oil, and everything in between.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:44:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Ballistol for the win, though Breakfree works well.

I started using Ballistol in the late 1980s when I
bought my first HK. It's what HK was recommending
to use then, and throughout the 1990s.

Just an old fart, stuck in his old ways.

For modern lubes, G96 works just as well, and it
doesn't have Ballistol's beaver piss scent.
G96 smells like ginger, to my old nose.

Link Posted: 2/9/2021 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 11:58:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Ball-Straw smells like a wet crotch.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Breakfree is the new kid on the block compared to Ballistol which has been around 147 years. The German army used it from 1905 to around 1945.

I've used both and I prefer the Ballistol.

My grandfather swore by it and I've been using it for as long as I can remember, and that's a looooong time.  
View Quote

147 years?  Ballistol has been around since 1874?  Modern lubricants are far superior to 100 year old german formulas.  I kind of see the appeal to using ballistol but why bother when you can use synthetic oil like slip2000 or even Mobil 1?
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

147 years?  Ballistol has been around since 1874?  Modern lubricants are far superior to 100 year old german formulas.  I kind of see the appeal to using ballistol but why bother when you can use synthetic oil like slip2000 or even Mobil 1?
View Quote

Yes, his math is off. Why use 115 year old German formulas? Because it works, is combat and extreme weather proven. Is skin safe. And as a kicker is around $1 an ounce. And unlike slip or Mobil 1, I can clean all my guns, including muzzleloaders, BPCR, all the way through modern stuff. It’s the KISS gun oil. It can be used on dry hands and actually does disinfect light cuts.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:02:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you use ballistal Straight or mix with water. I mix with hot water when flushing rifles that has shot corrosive ammo. But for general cleaning you don’t mix it ,right ?   Also you use it in aresol form or the type with a cap .  I’m trying to learn a little more about it. I actually like the smell.  Hopes  also.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Just to add on the break free side of things, Ive been using it since the mid 80’s.  Ive tried other things but always break free was my go to. I never had a let down from BF CLP.  It does its intended job. I do have a bottle of BF LP for a few weapons that don’t need the cleaning side of BF .  DI AR’s that put a little soot in the action I run with a CLP ( Breakfree normally ) . Never a let down. WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:00:41 AM EDT
[#8]
I use 75/25 mix on BP or corrosive stuff. Straight oil for everything else.

CLP is good stuff, but I’m out of the stuff that followed me home from time in service, so I replaced it with Ballistol
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 9:16:40 PM EDT
[#9]
While I've just converted to Ballistol for many things in the last few years, I've hated breakfree since I was in the army.  Just the fact that you had to shake the shit out of it to get the white crap mixed together with the brown crap was annoying, but we always wondered what about after it's on the weapon?  I'm sure it breaks apart then too, just not as noticeably.

I've used it now with good effect on various types of metal, wood, leather & even electronics so far.  I'm still not brave enough to try it on wounds though, even many have said it actually works.

Where does Ballistol Multi-Purpose Oil come from? History - Application - Worth knowing

I started using it after NSZ85 did a video about it.

Ballistol - It's Not Just For Guns...

You can even get a gallon of it for only $80.

https://s3714.americommerce.com/package-f.aspx

You can register to win some on the U.S. site.

https://ballistol.com/free-ballistol/?fbclid=IwAR3AtUTY0wqvZ-Hl26y1z0djPBwVVqPInBwIt5nA8-PnbzmRqlDIXsxAXVo
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 3:22:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Both are basic CLP's, there are much better options out there but they work.

Between the two, Ballistol cleans better and is more versatile but CLP is much better rust preventative.

Personally I like the smell of Ballistol and like the fact that it works well on corrosive, black powder, leather and other things so I keep some around.

Breakfree gets zero support from me because it doesn't stand out in any way at all. Any of the more modern CLP's like G96 Synthetic CLP, Mpro7, Weaponshield, etc all blow Breakfree out of the water.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 7:20:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Both are basic CLP's, there are much better options out there but they work.

Between the two, Ballistol cleans better and is more versatile but CLP is much better rust preventative.

Personally I like the smell of Ballistol and like the fact that it works well on corrosive, black powder, leather and other things so I keep some around.

Breakfree gets zero support from me because it doesn't stand out in any way at all. Any of the more modern CLP's like G96 Synthetic CLP, Mpro7, Weaponshield, etc all blow Breakfree out of the water.
View Quote

I have used every product you have mentioned. It all worked fine with no issues at all . It did nothing different, that breakfree was doing for me. I think there all great. I love the cinnamon smelling one. I’m sure if put to a block sliding , ball bearing load test , they might be better than BF . But I’m only cleaning , lubing , protecting my gun. Maybe I had a breakfree incident. There was one time I mailed an AK across the country to have work done on it. I wiped the dry rifle down with BF CLP spray can style before I shipped it. Turned out the guy pulled a fraud. Had many of our rifles held hostage and banked some money to boot. Would not send rifles back. Got a State attorney General involved and law enforcement. Maybe two years later we got our rifles confiscated by the STATE . They found as many owners as they could. I paid shipping to get rifle back with proof of ownership. Story was the rifles was in cheap lowes metal lawnmower sheds and even jammed in a chicken coup. I got my rifle back with 3 feathers in the box. Not one bit of rust at all. SAR1 . Parked rifle. Many got rusted shit back. I do not know how mine was stored or dumped off compared to others. I know it looks like it did when shipped. Yeah I got a soft spot for BF CLP....WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 10:36:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Do you use ballistal Straight or mix with water. I mix with hot water when flushing rifles that has shot corrosive ammo. But for general cleaning you don't mix it ,right ?   Also you use it in aresol form or the type with a cap .  I'm trying to learn a little more about it. I actually like the smell.  Hopes  also.
View Quote
If there's a chance the ammo was corrosive, I use a 50/50 mix of Ballistol and distilled water in a pump spray bottle. I'll field strip and then spray everything down, then wipe off the excess. I may clean the bore again with 100% Ballistol depending on what firearm it is.

I like the aerosol myself but I also use it in liquid form from a pump spray bottle (a bit messy) and a small pin point oiler.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#13]
The way I normally clean my C&R bolt guns after corrosive ammo is boil water in a 2 cup glass measuring cup ( microwave safe ) .  I pour the scalding water down the chamber and let it run out on ground in the yard. I then get a mixture of 50/50 ballistal and flush back through it.  I have it in a large empty dawn dish detergent plastic bottle.   So you can squeeze it out.  It has worked for me. But I never used it as a clp cleaner.  I might get it a try.  WarDawg
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 1:03:43 AM EDT
[#14]
There is really no advantage to scalding hot water in firearms usage, unless you wish to use it as part of a degrease regimen. Corrosive salts will come out with plain tap water, but I do usually use it with just a touch of the cold removed. In fact you could even forego the pouring water through the bore and just run a few Ballistol/water patches through the bore.
Link Posted: 2/12/2021 8:21:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Personally for corrosive, I don't use a bunch of water/ballistol mix. Maybe like 15/85 and just out it in a spray bottle and liberally spray. It doesn't take much to clean the corrosive salts out. Usually I spray the ballistol in first and let it flush through the bore, then follow through with the spray mix, and then clean with ballistol again. Haven't had any issues so far, but I've noticed it doesn't need ounces of water to flush the potassium salts.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:58:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Both are good.
I use Breakfree Clp for cleaning and their LP for lube.
The LP ( I think it's been renamed to "Full Syntheic") is thicker and was designed for full auto and stainless weapons.

Whatever you do, don't mix Breakfree with Ballistol inside a gun.
It forms a yellow gel mess.

Link Posted: 2/15/2021 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
 I have used every product you have mentioned. It all worked fine with no issues at all . It did nothing different, that breakfree was doing for me. I think there all great. I’m sure if put to a block sliding , ball bearing load test , they might be better than BF . But I’m only cleaning , lubing , protecting my gun.
View Quote

Where Breakfree doesnt stack up is the fact that it is very thin and dissipates quickly; especially in High heat or high shear areas of guns. Its also just very mediocre in every other aspect. Mpro, Weaponshield, G96 all clean a little better, definitely stay in place better and seem to repel lint and dust a little better than breakfree. It just doesn't beat any other CLP in any way except possibly availability.  

At the end of the day they all do the same thing but why not use the better stuff? Life is too short to be that cheap.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:09:25 PM EDT
[#18]
A dedicated solvent and a dedicated oil.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I use BF CLP. Seems to do the job just fine.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Ballistol cleans up BP well. Haven't used it on corrosive, yet.

Clp works well enough for non-corrosive in mild weather. There's a reason the TMs have extreme weather supplements.

I also like ballistol for my fudd guns, no worry of harming stocks, and the manual actions don't really need much for lubricant. As well as wiping holsters off. If I remember to, I'll use it on the outside of my carry pistols. Not because it's a better protectant, but AFAIK, it's mineral oil and not a carcinogen.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Compromises never work.  

OP, you might try the Army's current CLP, G96 or Radcolube. I dont use them to clean, just lube.  
Slip 2k is excellent as well.

For a cleaner that isn't toxic or stink try Lucas cleaner/ultrasonic cleaner.  Unlike others it is not water based and has a mild grape smell.

For corrosion protection nothing beats Eezox or Hornady One Shot.  Both clean and leave a dry film lubricant layer.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:36:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Isn't Balistol just expensive scented mineral oil? Why not use just use mineral oil?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Isn't Balistol just expensive scented mineral oil? Why not use just use mineral oil?
View Quote

Like many other lubes listed up thread, Ballistol is mineral oil based. None of them are just mineral oil. Mineral is a petroleum distillate, it's in the paraffin family, which can be food/medical grade if purified enough, which when coupled with the Anise and 3 different types of grain alcohol is why Ballistol can be used as a mild disinfectant. There is also another ingredient that slips my mind right now. Many of the other lubes have carcinogenic petroleum distillates added to the mineral oil, which makes them what they are.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just what are you using solvents for?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#25]
I've used different lubes since the late 70's and only recently started using Ballistol.   I wish I discovered it a long time ago.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:01:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I use Ballistol with anything shooting corrosive ammo, & Breakfree CLP with TRW-25 on anything needing grease for everything else.

Ballistol is water soluable, a flush with hot soapy water removes Ballistol & any salts plus most of the carbon & crud.

Everything else usually just gets a quick wipe down & more CLP.

So stuff that needs deep or regular cleaning, Ballistol. For me, that’s any corrosive, surplus or dirty imported ammo.

Stuff that runs ‘clean burning’ loads that is fine with just a reapplication of lube, CLP. Or anything that’s a PITA to disassemble for cleaning.

But really, either is fine for any firearm. If I had to choose one it’d be Ballistol cause I spend most time cleaning up after corrosive stuff and Ballistol is a big time saver.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Was a decades long BF user. Tried a can of Ballistol and have to say I like it. Now it's a part of my arsenal of lubes and cleaners. I keep a can right out on the work bench.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:33:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Was a decades long BF user. Tried a can of Ballistol and have to say I like it. Now it's a part of my arsenal of lubes and cleaners. I keep a can right out on the work bench.
View Quote

Only problem is my chick things I pissed myself because it smells like cat piss.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Only problem is my chick things I pissed myself because it smells like cat piss.
View Quote

It is so funny hearing everyone's differing opinions on the smell of Ballistol.

To me it smells like fresh anise or black licorice and I enjoy it. I can not see how anyone could say it smells like B.O, Cat piss or dirty socks, lol.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:37:25 AM EDT
[#30]
I bought a can of Safari Charlie at a gun show about 9 years ago.   I have used a lot of different cleaners over the years and this stuff by far is the best I have ever used.   It smells good and does not leave a gummy residue.   Made in Pearl River Louisiana and sold in my area...

This stuff is so good I am surprised it has not caught on bigger.   I swear by it....buy it by the case.  I have a can of Lucas and Breakfree, they don’t get used much at all

Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:32:28 AM EDT
[#31]
"Ballistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil from vegetable seeds."
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:27:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I used Break Free for years. A friend of mine gave me a can of Ballistol and I tried it. I couldn't handle that smell. Rough. I'll stick to Break Free.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#33]
The current Break Free has next to no odor to me. Easy to find and a little goes a long way. Never tried Ballistol, seems like mineral oil?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:13:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
"Ballistol contains medicinal grade mineral oil, alkaline salts of oleic acid, several alcohols, Benzyl Acetate and an oil from vegetable seeds."
View Quote

Thanks for adding this.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't get all the hubbub over the smell of gun cleaner; if it does the job, then gtg.
If it smells nice, that's just a minor plus. I mean, so long as they don't smell like vomit or dog poo.
Hoppes 9 is such a classic, I have one of their air fresheners in my work vehicle (I might be a little weird); M Pro7, and especially Lucas CLP are downright aromatic, which I find almost peculiar, and Ballistol honestly isn't bad. (Seriously, Lucas CLP reminds me of that strong but very pleasant restroom deodorizer that high falootin'  places use).
I guess my point being, this is a crowd that breathes gunsmoke all day, the bar for scents isn't that high . It's not like that's exactly air freshener material.  ...or is it?
If someone made an air freshener that smelled like burnt guncotton, would you buy one?
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:58:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I don't get all the hubbub over the smell of gun cleaner; if it does the job, then gtg.
If it smells nice, that's just a minor plus. I mean, so long as they don't smell like vomit or dog poo.
Hoppes 9 is such a classic, I have one of their air fresheners in my work vehicle (I might be a little weird); M Pro7, and especially Lucas CLP are downright aromatic, which I find almost peculiar, and Ballistol honestly isn't bad. (Seriously, Lucas CLP reminds me of that strong but very pleasant restroom deodorizer that high falootin'  places use).
I guess my point being, this is a crowd that breathes gunsmoke all day, the bar for scents isn't that high . It's not like that's exactly air freshener material.  ...or is it?
If someone made an air freshener that smelled like burnt guncotton, would you buy one?
View Quote

The smell will never take me away from buying a CLP or grease. Which is why I use ballistol, but it smells like dirty socks and ass. I love the smell of hoppes and other cleaners. Honestly if we have a gunsmoke smell, I would 100% buy that cleaner. It's like campfire, but for guns.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:19:22 AM EDT
[#37]
I got to where I use Ballistol on anything I run a silencer on, as I would rather have something somewhat non-toxic blasting me in the face.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#38]
Weaponshield beats them all.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:23:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

The only way weaponshield would beat Ballistol is if it's self cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:32:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Weaponshield is a better lubricant than Ballistol. Especially in colder temps.

However, for general cleaning, Ballistol is better, IMO.

Not sure how they compare as far as rust preventatives go.
But I'm guessing Ballistol might come out ahead in a side-by-side test.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:54:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Just to add on the break free side of things, Ive been using it since the mid 80’s.  Ive tried other things but always break free was my go to. I never had a let down from BF CLP.  It does its intended job. I do have a bottle of BF LP for a few weapons that don’t need the cleaning side of BF .  DI AR’s that put a little soot in the action I run with a CLP ( Breakfree normally ) . Never a let down. WarDawg
View Quote

Totally agreed. When I got my first gun, I didn't know about Breakfree. I just bought this kleenbore kit and it came with a bottle of breakfree. At the time I didn't know anything and just assumed it was something that was like anything else. After the bottle ran out, I just bought whatever and never could get the gun quite as clean. I just thought it was something else and never paid attention to the cleaner. Then one day I saw the same Breakfree bottle at the store and tried it again and sure enough, the gun came clean as the day I bought it. After that I always went back to Breakfree, no matter what.

The only thing I learned from my cleaning habits over the years is to use grease and paste (flitz is my favorite) for bore cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Use what you want, they both clean and lubricate
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 2:48:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Never tried the German cat pee stuff (didn't even know it smelt like cat pee).
Tried CLP once, but just considered it a TriFlow copy, which I use for small parts like triggers.
I don't use it for cleaning. Love the banana smell.

Hopp's #9 for light cleaning of the bore, Sweet's 7.62 bore cleaner for removing copper deposits.
After either I do a light wipe with a copper wire drawing fluid, called Liquid Lightning, that is unfortunately not being made any longer, but I have a few gallons of it left.

Receivers get dunked in mineral spirits, and blown dry with compressed air.
And anything that slides, a light grease, like CherryBalms, Magna-Lube G.
Not tried home brew grease/oil blends yet, too much other stuff to do.
Link Posted: 4/24/2021 3:55:22 PM EDT
[#44]
CLP for general cleaning/light lube.  Either brand.  I use Breakfree.  It was in stock when I last needed CLP.  

For proper cleaning of the bore for carbon and light copper buildup - Butch's Bore Shine.

For heavy copper removal, Sweets, or my favorite,  Barnes CR10.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top