Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/20/2023 8:09:34 PM EDT
I’m having an issue with this upper and read multiple threads about the same issue but didn’t really read about a solution. The upper isn’t within the 60 day warranty so I’m not eager to send it in unless it’s a last resort.

Shooting both suppressed and non-suppressed I’m having a somewhat intermittent issue of the bolt not fully going into battery. When the trigger is pulled the hammer hits the bolt into battery and you can visually see the bolt handle move forward.

Do we have any Brownells or PWS or other members here that may help with what has solved this?
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By FS-Rob0341:
I'm having an issue with this upper and read multiple threads about the same issue but didn't really read about a solution. The upper isn't within the 60 day warranty so I'm not eager to send it in unless it's a last resort.

Shooting both suppressed and non-suppressed I'm having a somewhat intermittent issue of the bolt not fully going into battery. When the trigger is pulled the hammer hits the bolt into battery and you can visually see the bolt handle move forward.

Do we have any Brownells or PWS or other members here that may help with what has solved this?
View Quote
Contact Brownells. They'll take care of you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Since I have seen this issue without much follow up regarding a resolution, I contacted PWS directly and they were extremely helpful in getting this sorted and big props to their customer service.

Here is their response:

"That is what happens when the op rod spring gets worn out. The original design has the op rod spring bottoming out during cycling, and within 500 to 1000rds will destroy itself. Once that happens, you get bolt bounce and then the next trigger pull is a light strike – pushes the carrier forward like in your video. I’ll get an upgrade kit sent out to you. The upgrade kit replaces the op rod, op rod spring, and comes with updated recoil springs as well."

The replacement kit had longer recoil springs, a different OP Rod and Spring and an additional spacer fitting for the OP Rod/Spring.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FS-Rob0341:
Since I have seen this issue without much follow up regarding a resolution, I contacted PWS directly and they were extremely helpful in getting this sorted and big props to their customer service.

Here is their response:

"That is what happens when the op rod spring gets worn out. The original design has the op rod spring bottoming out during cycling, and within 500 to 1000rds will destroy itself. Once that happens, you get bolt bounce and then the next trigger pull is a light strike   pushes the carrier forward like in your video. I'll get an upgrade kit sent out to you. The upgrade kit replaces the op rod, op rod spring, and comes with updated recoil springs as well."

The replacement kit had longer recoil springs, a different OP Rod and Spring and an additional spacer fitting for the OP Rod/Spring.
View Quote
Thank you. FWIW I went through Brownells on this and never had any communication with PWS. When I asked Brownells what was going on they didn't really know and had to find out.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Glad you got it worked out.

I had the same issue with mine last year. I narrowed it down to needing more powerful recoil springs after noticing it would run 100% for 10 rounds after I stretched them out. Then, like clockwork, it would stop going into battery all the way. Sent it in to PWS, and it stayed with them for 8 weeks, if I remember right.  Got it back and immediately had the same issue. So, I returned it to Brownells.

Put a bunch of rounds through it, and let me know how it's running, if you don't mind. If it's running 100%, I might pick one up again, because I really enjoyed shooting it when it was running correctly.

Link Posted: 3/10/2023 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mitsuman47:
Glad you got it worked out.

I had the same issue with mine last year. I narrowed it down to needing more powerful recoil springs after noticing it would run 100% for 10 rounds after I stretched them out. Then, like clockwork, it would stop going into battery all the way. Sent it in to PWS, and it stayed with them for 8 weeks, if I remember right.  Got it back and immediately had the same issue. So, I returned it to Brownells.

Put a bunch of rounds through it, and let me know how it's running, if you don't mind. If it's running 100%, I might pick one up again, because I really enjoyed shooting it when it was running correctly.

View Quote
Will do. Since I have both barrel lengths I can get a true feel.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Are these Gen 1 or Gen 2 uppers that have the issue?
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 3:49:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By YoungPatriot:
Are these Gen 1 or Gen 2 uppers that have the issue?
View Quote
Mine was a gen 2
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top