Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/9/2022 1:11:32 PM EDT
Well, my port cover spring on my BRN-10B broke the short leg off, so now my port door flops around. Does anyone know offhand if these use the same port door spring as an AR-15, or an AR-10, or ??? It doesn't appear to be anything proprietary, but better to ask first. I really don't want to shoot it with the port door flopping, as I don't want to risk damaging anything else.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:18:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, same spring as the  AR15's.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:20:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you! Now to pick one up and get it installed.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 1:06:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I agree with PHMDLJR - it's the same spring as an AR-15. A shame it broke, the springs Brownells used do seem brittle. And they're very long, you can get a nasty cut poking around in that port. I snipped that short leg a little shorter to make it less likely.
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 3:23:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, I agree with PHMDLJR - it's the same spring as an AR-15. A shame it broke, the springs Brownells used do seem brittle. And they're very long, you can get a nasty cut poking around in that port. I snipped that short leg a little shorter to make it less likely.
View Quote

I did the same on mine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thank you! Now to pick one up and get it installed.
View Quote

IM your address and I'll drop a couple in the mail for you.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#6]
If you figure out a way to replace that spring without having to pull the whole damn barrel, I’d be interested to hear about it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 8:47:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you figure out a way to replace that spring without having to pull the whole damn barrel, I’d be interested to hear about it.
View Quote

Remove the tiny C-shaped retaining ring from the front of the rod, and slide the rod out towards the rear of the receiver.

ETA: Apparently this method won't work on these rifles...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Remove the tiny C-shaped retaining ring from the front of the rod, and slide the rod out towards the rear of the receiver.
View Quote

The hole the rod slides into at the rear is not a through hole on these. So you can’t slide out to the rear like you can on other rifles.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

IM your address and I'll drop a couple in the mail for you.
View Quote

Thanks! IM sent.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 3:02:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Mace is correct; the barrel has to come off to get to it on this one best as I can tell. Guess adding the ability to just remove the C-clip to change it out was one of the improvements to the design over time?
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 12:12:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Latest on the BRN-10B port door spring situation- A) I found a way to fix it without having to pull the barrel after all. Take off the handguards, then take off the gas tube. Once that is removed, turn the slip ring and the gas tube hole to the left until it lines up with the port door axle, then you can wiggle the axle forward just enough to get the axle through the gas tube hole and remove/replace the port door spring. Then slide it back into place, return the slip ring and gas tube hole to its upright position, reinstall the gas tube and pin, reinstall the handguards and you should be good to go. That way, you do not have to remove the barrel. This is a good thing, because in their infinite wisdom, it appears that whomever built these for Brownells installed the barrels dry (no anti-seize on the barrel threads). Dry enough that the barrel nut snapped off teeth trying to get it to turn. Thanks, Brownells. Anyway, if anyone else runs into the same issue on theirs, hopefully this thread will help?

which brings me to B) a friend of mine was wanting the rifle for a while now, and is talking about rebarreling it to 6.5 anyway. So I sold it to him, and am in the process of gathering a really nice Thompson M1 kit to do a semi-auto SBR with it to go with my MP-34 semi-auto SBR. So we both were happy with the deal. I still have my BRN-601, so I am still in the retro game (and LOVE the way that one is turning out. GREAT shooter) and am slowly getting it dialed in to where I want it detail-wise. When I get it finished I will post a thread for it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks Joker! Floppy door fixed with a new spring and your technique. Easy peasy, no bbl removal. I may jack your idea, but I'll always give you credit
Pooka
Link Posted: 6/1/2022 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks Joker! Floppy door fixed with a new spring and your technique. Easy peasy, no bbl removal. I may jack your idea, but I'll always give you credit
Pooka
View Quote

Glad to be able to contribute something useful back to the forum here.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top