AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Posted: 4/9/2018 5:00:47 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We wanted to update everyone on the status of the BRN-10, as we know many of you are quite excited to get your hands on one.  There have been a few revisions since SHOT Show, primarily based on your requests or changes needed following testing.

These changes are:

• Front Sight Base Revision - Based on your feedback, we have gone to a Sudanese type design, with a sling swivel on the side.  This part was modeled from an original part.  The first batch of these will be machined, and we will look at forging these down the road.  
    https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126709/thumbnails/FSB-509825-thumb.JPG

• Charging Handle Retention Mechanism - The charging handle detent has been done away with in favor of a single spring, courtesy of Nodak Spud.  This mechanism is very similar to the NDS-15 design.  This change was necessary due to inconsistency of the detent holding the charging handle in battery during firing.

• Bolt Carrier will have three gas vent ports.

All design alterations are fixed in place and parts are in production.  We are still planning to ship in the next few months, but we want to ensure this rifle is right out of the gate.

If you happen to be at the NRA Meetings & Exhibits, we will have BRN-10 rifles on-hand for you to handle, and the team would be happy to address any questions or concerns.

One test rifle shown below:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126709/IMG_3397-509905.jpg
View Quote
So my question is are you going to sell the prototypes when you are done? Lol
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 5:36:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Lookin’ good! I’m fairly certain that the original AR10 front sight bases were machined from castings. If Brownells chooses to do the same, it would not only be “authentic”, but would most likely allow for easier and cheaper (than billet or forging) manufacture of this part. Just something to consider.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Good choice on the revisions. Any word yet on how the lowers will be marked?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#5]
New Retro products are always exciting, but it's really something when the manufacturers are paying attention to feedback from the community.
Thank you guys for your work, and for making us feel like part of the process.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the update!
It is looking very promising
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:00:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good choice on the revisions. Any word yet on how the lowers will be marked?
View Quote
This. PLEASE put the markings on the front of the magwell like NoDak does with its prototypes.  Many of us will want to add the Dutch markings  down the road.  The rifles look great and you guys definitely made the right choice to make the changes.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Will the charging handle come out of the rear of the upper lime the nds-15 or will it be a captured system with a dust cover like the Dutch model?(at least I think it was the Dutch, forgotten weapons has a video with what I'm talking about).
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Will the charging handle come out of the rear of the upper lime the nds-15 or will it be a captured system with a dust cover like the Dutch model?(at least I think it was the Dutch, forgotten weapons has a video with what I'm talking about).
View Quote
They were all produced by the Dutch.  You're referring to the Portuguese model that they made for them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:28:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:40:49 PM EDT
[#12]
You should be commended for doing this.

The retro section is what happens when the mental patients seize control of the asylum.

Your post is like a big shot of thorazine.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:27:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Brownells....I am so hip to the cut of your jib that it frickin' hurts!!!

Rock on, Brothers!!!!
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
New Retro products are always exciting, but it's really something when the manufacturers are paying attention to feedback from the community.
Thank you guys for your work, and for making us feel like part of the process.
View Quote
I couldn't agree more, thank you @Brownells!
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:36:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Outstanding work and commitment to putting out a great product!
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 1:03:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The BRN-10 charging handle protrudes out the rear, similar to a Sudanese or Cuban model.
View Quote
ahh fair enough. I'm happy with my nds-15 which does the same. Would be interesting to have one that doesnt protrude from the rear though.
Link Posted: 4/10/2018 7:56:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Nice update thank you guys
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you very much Brownell's!!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I wish ARFCOM had a like button.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 2:01:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We wanted to update everyone on the status of the BRN-10, as we know many of you are quite excited to get your hands on one.
View Quote
Excellent update!

Thank you for doing this, and I echo the praise of the group.

Can we get a similar update post for the 5.56 guns?

(
1. Will the green color get fixed?
2. When will we see the new lower parts like the dimpled selector and will they be phased in part for part or block updated?
3. Can I get one with the above corrections and a 1:7 twist? Twist cannot be visually observed, and I really want to shoot mine.
)
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 4:56:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Excellent news! Thank you!
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 5:01:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Brownells is the best!
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Ohhhh, so sweet . That is awesome . Thank you brownells ! Any chance you can get them to do chrome lined barrels as well ?
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 6:09:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah, yeah patience...

How long does that take?
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Well i guess i'm getting one of these seeing as I got outbid for a real one at Rock Island this past weekend

Looking forward to it Brownells!
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 1:02:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Hello, and thanks for making retros!  For the 601 furniture, have you considered casting them in brown and painting them green?  When they get scratched, the green paint will scratch through to brown like real 601s do. :)

Quoted:
1.   We are adjusting the color so future Green Furniture is darker.
2.   Most of these will take new castings, no-tick selectors first.
3.   Yes, we plan to offer different configurations down the road, no ETA.  Complete upper groups coming as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent update!

Thank you for doing this, and I echo the praise of the group.

Can we get a similar update post for the 5.56 guns?

(
1. Will the green color get fixed?
2. When will we see the new lower parts like the dimpled selector and will they be phased in part for part or block updated?
3. Can I get one with the above corrections and a 1:7 twist? Twist cannot be visually observed, and I really want to shoot mine.
)
1.   We are adjusting the color so future Green Furniture is darker.
2.   Most of these will take new castings, no-tick selectors first.
3.   Yes, we plan to offer different configurations down the road, no ETA.  Complete upper groups coming as well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:17:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What did the real deal one at RIA end up going for? Didnt follow The auction as I was travelling.

Sven
Manticore Arms
View Quote
$5k which I was fine with but the next bid up was $5500 which the wife wasn’t fine with
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 11:49:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Sorry if this has been talked about, but I'll admit I haven't kept up as much as I should have .

What mags do these take? Amy plans of reproducing
Waffle mags ?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 11:50:50 PM EDT
[#32]
@brownells

Have you guys got plans to do the handguards and or pistol grips modeled after the originals ?
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 8:44:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Very nice.

Glad the feedback was used. I'll definitely be in for ordering one once I see the production model.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Brownells, Please replicate the original scope mounting option.  I would love to put a scope on these.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 1:38:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Brownells, Please replicate the original scope mounting option.  I would love to put a scope on these.
View Quote
That is what John Thomas or Braceman is for
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:31:57 PM EDT
[#36]
The current production Brownells AR10s felt really good when I got to finger them today in Dallas, can't wait to see how much better they'll be in the future!

*ETA: darn swipe keyboard/autocorrect
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
The current production Brownells AR10s felt really good even I got to dinner then today in Dallas, can't wait to see how much better they'll be in the future!
View Quote
You ATE a BR-10?  Was it filling and satisfying?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:41:01 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

You ATE a BR-10?  Was it filling and satisfying?
View Quote
It's worse than that!

After the edit it's clear that he was having "sexual relations with that rifle. BRN-10."

ETA Was it filling and satisfying?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's worse than that!

After the edit it's clear that he was having "sexual relations with that rifle. BRN-10."

ETA Was it filling and satisfying?
View Quote
I give up
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Are the FSB on the BR-10's going to be fixed and correct style/design from the very first gun??   Watching he InRange video, Paul the Brownell's rep indicates they are going to fixed somewhere down the road. Maybe someone from Brownell's could clarify this point.  I thought this was going to be fixed from the get go??
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 9:00:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Are the FSB on the BR-10's going to be fixed and correct style/design from the very first gun??   Watching he InRange video, Paul the Brownell's rep indicates they are going to fixed somewhere down the road. Maybe someone from Brownell's could clarify this point.  I thought this was going to be fixed from the get go??
View Quote
Go to the top of this page and you will find your answer.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Go to the top of this page and you will find your answer.
View Quote
I see my error...the video is older than the update date ie start of thread.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:25:50 AM EDT
[#43]
very cool

Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:07:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Great news Brownells!  Can't wait to get mine.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Sorry for the delayed response, just got back from the show.

For the furniture, the current "drop-in", AR15 style is what we're moving forward with.  We are exploring more authentic options, but nothing is firm right now.
Pistol grips will happen.  Once the grips are complete, we'll send those out to anyone that purchased the original rifle with the A1 style grip.

We appreciate that @Kalahnikid enjoyed the rifles at the convention, even if it was a bit weird.
View Quote

Maybe next time I'm down at the store you'll have the AR10 out on display! Actually I didn't get a chance to look at it as closely as I would have liked in an effort to be considerate to everyone else in line.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Maybe next time I'm down at the store you'll have the AR10 out on display! Actually I didn't get a chance to look at it as closely as I would have liked in an effort to be considerate to everyone else in line.
View Quote
What store?  They got a store?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:59:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have a retail space at their Grinnell IA location. They have tons of used and new guns, ammo, reloading stuff, and best of all they will go pull anything from the warehouse while you wait. I bought a Brownells A1 lower last time I was there.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#49]
@Brownells what will the gas port size be on the new AR10 repro rifles?  Is there anyone that can get the original spec to duplicate?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
@Brownells what will the gas port size be on the new AR10 repro rifles?  Is there anyone that can get the original spec to duplicate?  Thanks.
View Quote
Brownells has original parts to work from.  But the gas hole issue might be more complicated than you first think. Example: They would probably use a DPMS gas tube with no adjustment valve.  That means the old Dutch specs for the gas hole might not apply.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top