Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/18/2021 9:29:59 PM EDT

The first shot is fired, the bolt comes back this far (pictured), the fired case is not extracted. A new round does not try to feed.

I swapped the entire lower to no avail. It used to work  with hundreds of rounds in that exact configuration, with both lowers, or both bolts, then suddenly stopped working.

I swapped bolts to no avail -- it used to work with both bolts I have.  
I tried different ammo and different mags, all to no avail. Does it with all of them. I only run supersonic ammo.

I can cycle the ammo manually.  The case does not get stuck in the chamber.  I can cycle the charging handle and get the non-extracted case to extract manually, basically it's a single shot now.

I cleaned everything very well, both bolts, the barrel, the chamber area, all to no avail. The gas system looks normal. Nothing looks abnormal or loose or broken.  Both bolts have the upgraded 5-coil extractor springs.  Both extractors look just fine and appear to have normal tension.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2021 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 10:25:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I examined the brass, haven't seen any blown primers, no excessive pressure or anything weird. Not reloads but factory ammo.

The BCG gas key looks normal. I have seen a failure like that, a long time ago, where the key wasn't staked correctly and came loose.  This BCG looks perfectly normal. I don't have access to another BCG to try it out. The spare bolt made no difference.

There is nothing at all anywhere that looks or feels abnormal. Examined the gas block on the barrel much as I could, nothing is loose there either. It does seem like a gas problem of some kind.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Like already mentioned if the gas block has not shifted out of alignment with the gas port check the front carrier key screw to see if it has broken.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:34:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:32:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I realized I have a complete BCG I can try, not just a new bolt.

Is this something related to the upper or the BCG or the bolt?  I already tried a different bolt to no avail.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:23:16 PM EDT
[#6]
So it's definitely the BCG itself. Not the bolt and not anything in the upper/lower. I swapped in a new BCG and it works. The recipient upper that got the questionable BCG does not work.

A quick inspection does not reveal anything weird. What could be wrong with it?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Maybe a popped primer or something blocking the path through the gas key or as mentioned the front carrier key screw might be broken and the staking is holding it in place.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:08:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I looked inside the BCG key, comparing it to a working BCG and it doesn't look right. Shined a flashlight inside both of them.
There is something broken inside. No primers inside.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 11:41:16 PM EDT
[#9]
The inside has a step down in its dimension near the back of the key.

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting. At 14 min mark.

It is a  BCM BCG, they are supposed to be pretty good.

I haven't cleaned inside the gas key in years. Just forgot about it. Never had issues not cleaning gas keys in general.  On one upper I went for 10 years without cleaning the gas key. No  issues. I do clean everything else very well.

Tried different bolts, different uppers, it's definitely the BCG itself.  It's the only thing common to FTE wherever  it  goes.  Could a neglected, dirty gas key   be the root cause here or is it a gas leak?  I thought BCM BCGs were supposed to be alpha BCG.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top