Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2020 5:25:47 PM EDT
I’m thinking about picking one up, but have no experience with them. Any complaints at all?

I’m planning to run suppressed quite a bit, so I’m concerned about POI shift with a barrel that light. Looking primarily at 14.5”.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#1]
My 14.5" elw has run great no complaints here. Unfortunately im still waiting on my can.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:04:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I have exactly what you are asking about. Sandman S, dead air flash hider pinned and welded. POI shift is there, but not enough to worry about at 300 yds ringing steel. My problem is that wolf gold grous like crap. Its my cheapo deep stacked ammo and it hates it. Like over 4MOA hates it. 62. 69, 77 gr and most all 55 gr groups just fine.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 6:55:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have exactly what you are asking about. Sandman S, dead air flash hider pinned and welded. POI shift is there, but not enough to worry about at 300 yds ringing steel. My problem is that wolf gold grous like crap. Its my cheapo deep stacked ammo and it hates it. Like over 4MOA hates it. 62. 69, 77 gr and most all 55 gr groups just fine.
View Quote

Awesome, that’s the same can I have too.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:22:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one in a 6lb rifle. Shoots pretty damn well, and extremely well balanced. I’d buy another one. About 2moa more or less with 55gr xtac and q3131.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I've messed with a couple.

Unless you have a lot of shit hanging off the handguard, they're very unforgiving of shooter error.  

And they may not well aside from that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:25:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Unless you have a lot of shit hanging off the handguard, they're very unforgiving of shooter error.  

View Quote

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 11:49:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That light tapered profile barrel is very unforgiving of shooter error because of the way it balances.

But them shooting bad is not always shooter error.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That light tapered profile barrel is very unforgiving of shooter error because of the way it balances.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they've been known to shoot poorly then?
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:09:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Ive seen a few threads about there lack of accuracy. My personal experience with 2 different elw barrels one 16" 2nd 14.5. With wolf it was 2.5 -3 moa. With just ball 55,62,69 grain there both around 2 moa some better some worse. With 69 , 77 grain match ammo both are around 1-1.5 moa . I built all my bcm rifles , i heard horror stories on here about how tight bcm torque there barrel nuts and personally think this attributes to some of the poor accuracy reports.

For around the same price you can get a centurion barrel , i have both , and the 12.5 centurion out shoots the bcm 14.5. Tthe bcm is a fine barrel great combat accuracy,  the centurion is a step or two up in accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 9:10:25 AM EDT
[#10]
I guess I should have asked before I stated that they shoot pretty damn well. Are you intending to use a BCM lightweight barrel in a precision rig? If so, yes, it’s definitely going to be lacking. Is this rifle going to wear a red dot? If yes, they shoot pretty damn well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I tested one with a few different ammos that were MOA in a couple of precision barrels and got like 4-8MOA with the ELW.

BCM replaced it and the replacement barrel was better but not great.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Standard BCM barrels are not known for precision. Are they good for a RDS or maybe LPVO all around carbine, sure. Precision-ish setup? Not so much.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I guess I should have asked before I stated that they shoot pretty damn well. Are you intending to use a BCM lightweight barrel in a precision rig? If so, yes, it’s definitely going to be lacking. Is this rifle going to wear a red dot? If yes, they shoot pretty damn well.
View Quote

TA31 ACOG
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Standard BCM barrels are not known for precision. Are they good for a RDS or maybe LPVO all around carbine, sure. Precision-ish setup? Not so much.
View Quote

Not really looking for precision, but 5-6 MOA isn’t acceptable.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I can't comment on accuracy, as I'm a minute of bad guy kinda of shooter.

However, I can tell you that the profile and weight of their ELW FLUTED barrels are amazing, literally my favorite. I don't think you'll regret getting one. I had second guessed myself and thought about getting the midweight barrel but I am glad I didn't.

There is a video out there of YouTube with Larry Vickers talking about how much he loves the ELW barrels and he's seen no reason to use anything else.
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Greetings -

Though this thread was last viewed in May, I thought Id bring it to life again because I just picked up a BCM Lightweight Upper and would like feedback from anyone who has used the same gear. When I saw these in stock on Bravo I grabbed it immediately. My RRA is so damn heavy w all its Mods, I was drawn to this due to its description as "Enhanced Lightweight" label. For those who have one, how exactly is it "Lightweight" compared to others. My last build was years ago and I didnt use BCM, so any feedback would be appreciated. One of my biggest questions is : Must I use a BCM Lower to obtain a high quality end product? Read this article which helped a little:

Can I Mix Different Brands?

These are the items I picked up thanks to Bravo Co.

(ENHANCED Light Weight) Upper Receiver Group
Gunfighter Stock
Pistol Grip
Surefire WarComp

**Since these items haven't even arrived yet, Im asking if they are truly Tier 1 Items, and are these handguards "Sharp" which require some customizing? Sorry to come off as a Rookie here but I've never used BCM products. Much appreciated folks!

Semper Fidelis!
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#17]
I’ve been using BCM parts for years, I’ve got the same upper, and my preferred grip is the mod 0, their charging handle is top notch, and handguards too
I’ve never been disappointed with anything I’ve bought there, so IMHO, money well spent
Enjoy
Link Posted: 7/18/2020 11:18:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I’ve been using BCM parts for years, I’ve got the same upper, and my preferred grip is the mod 0, their charging handle is top notch, and handguards too
I’ve never been disappointed with anything I’ve bought there, so IMHO, money well spent
Enjoy
View Quote

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:32:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Not really looking for precision, but 5-6 MOA isn’t acceptable.
View Quote

Its not that bad but dont expect M193 to shoot better than 3 MOA.

Match ammo is sub 2 MOA but NOT sub MOA. It wont shoot ANYTHING sub MOA unless you get one lucky group out of a whole day of shooting.

I have barrels that wont shoot a group as large as 1 MOA in a whole day of shooting... the ELW Fluted is not that lol. Its a red dot barrel. If you want an accurate chrome lined lightweight barrel get something else... a DD hammer forged lightweight or a Criterion, etc. Those might put up more than one sub MOA group with match ammo in a day of shooting... but also a bunch in the 1-2 MOA range. M193 will still shoot 2-3 MOA in those too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 11:18:06 AM EDT
[#20]
My 14.5 "Pinned" A2X ELW KMR (original) is my goto rifle. It is so light with a T2 that handling is amazing. I do not plan on shooting this rifle for groups, it is my home defense, shtf rifle. I have other rifles for that role. But going forward my upper of choice would be Centurion for this role.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 10:47:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Ordered a ELW Fluted 9.0 300BLK a few days ago. 15oz. I’m hoping it’s going to be an accurate barrel despite what some have said about BCM’s CL barrels.
My NOVESKE 8.5 300BLK is very accurate.

Anybody have any accuracy experience with BCM’s 300BLK barrels?
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#22]
i have a 16" elw bfh, i did mount a scope on it to see its accuracy, i shot 1" at 100yds with hornady varmint rounds.

the upper sits in the safe, havnt shot it since as i like shorter barrels better.

homebuilt with slr freefloat, BCM low pro GB, BCM ELW BFH 16", 3 prong smith flash hider, BCM upper.

shoots great, just dont need it or want it.

ive been into criterion core lately.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top