Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2022 6:12:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 8:11:08 PM EDT
[#1]
View Quote

Good looking out, I just ordered one. I haven't seen these around for a while, however back in 2019 when they were available I picked up two of them. They were the older style upper with only M4 stamped above the gas tube hole and the square forge marking. They did fit nice and tight with the barrel, though. Thanks again for the heads up.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 9:23:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good looking out, I just ordered one. I haven't seen these around for a while, however back in 2019 when they were available I picked up two of them. They were the older style upper with only M4 stamped above the gas tube hole and the square forge marking. They did fit nice and tight with the barrel, though. Thanks again for the heads up.
View Quote

My pleasure!  I know there are a few of us here that were looking for these.  I picked up a couple myself.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Wish these were 60 bucks again and didn't use the star forge mark.
Link Posted: 8/4/2022 10:58:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wish these were 60 bucks again and didn't use the star forge mark.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 11:41:52 PM EDT
[#5]
In for 3, thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:30:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I got my two BCM uppers today and they both have the key hole, Cerro Forge, marking.  They also both look perfect to my eyes and I can’t find any obvious blemishes or scratches on them. They come stripped with the dust cover and forward assist in a little bag.  

The bad thing is now I keep thinking of all the other parts I might want  to build up two more ARs. BRD is incurable…
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:52:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I got my two BCM uppers today and they both have the key hole, Cerro Forge, marking.  They also both look perfect to my eyes and I can’t find any obvious blemishes or scratches on them. They come stripped with the dust cover and forward assist in a little bag.  

The bad thing is now I keep thinking of all the other parts I might want  to build up two more ARs. BRD is incurable…
View Quote

just got mine in too, keyhole forge marking
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 12:52:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Any "star" markings on them?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope, just the keyhole and "BCM4" laser engraved in white above the gas tube hole
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice.  Mine are coming in on Monday.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 1:07:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

No star markings.  IIRC, the star marking was only put on the uppers BCM put together in house.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No star markings.  IIRC, the star marking was only put on the uppers BCM put together in house.
View Quote

I have received them with the star before and was immediately turned off. Maybe I'll pick one up if they're still available since they seems to be without the star.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know that the white BCM laser engraving is a complete URG thing, my understanding was that the star forge mark was now across the board.

Perhaps not? Or these are possibly old stock?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Can anyone here comment on the actual blemishes these might have? People on reddit didn't speak to highly of these blems.

I bought 7 at 3 different times in the past and every single one came massively fucked up with straight up gouges along the ejection port and abrasive disks run in swirls down each side to test the anodizing. 4 of them let the barrel slip right in without heating or freezing which eliminates the entire reason one would want these besides the star forge mark. Also, they've recently been using Anchor Harvey forge uppers since they apparently can't keep up, so if you're in it for the star forgr mark you might not even get that.

Also, if you're not handloading, a thermal fit is going to give you such negligible results that it's a borderline gimmick since I haven't had any uppers where the barrel rattles around. That 0.1 moa gain isn't doing much if you're using 4 moa XM-193 or worse bulk ammo. Squaring the receiver face has also been shown to be slightly more effective for accuracy as long as you don't have significant receiver extension slop. Unless you're trying to build a 1000yd 6.5 Grendel you don't really need these given the price.

I'll hit it with some alumahyde for $60 and free shipping when you buy two like in the old days, but they can miss me with this shit pricing. Loved them at that price point when you knew what you were getting and BCM priced them so you knew what you were getting in a mutually beneficial sense. $110 for a single upper taxed and shipped that's a guaranteed mess in my experience? After the 50% price hike and getting rid of a threshold for free shipping this is one of the more unreasonable 'Rona gouges compared to competitors. I've just been buying Aero M4E1 blem uppers since.

A brand new BCM upper is what, $30 more? Just buy that if you want a thermal fit upper that will actually be a thermal fit upper and if the star forge and BCM logo are that important to you. At least that way you're not paying a premium on price for a janky, ground up mess that let's a barrel slip right in half the time. There's a reason these stay in stock for a few days when they're posted vs just a few minutes in the before times. I feel like the only people buying these are first time builders that don't know any better.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Can anyone here comment on the actual blemishes these might have? People on reddit didn't speak to highly of these blems.

View Quote

Very light scratches, nothing major in my experience. I have 4 or 5 bcm blems.

But I have to agree with the new shipping prices and the cost of the blem upper. It used to ve much better deal. However I do like the uppers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:13:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a few of the blems from years past. Star marked and no noticeable blemishes.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I too have bought their stripped upper receivers in the past, both blem and non-blem.  A few came with the star marking.  Doesn’t bother me personally either way, as these are great quality receivers.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is all I could find wrong with mine. It’s inconsequential but definitely a better deal at $60 vs $90

Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks, and damn you.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is an exceptionally rare occurrence and I would ignore it as not being statistically relevant.

I have ordered 4 times and always received what looked like normal uppers, no flaws, with a port kit (door/spring/rod/clip) in a plastic bag.
For the most part they had stars, IIRC.

Like basically flawless and I can't see what the "blem" is.

I just ordered a couple more.

I have heard the same ("where's the blem") from others.

Oh, and you should put as much faith in Reddit as what you read in the GD forum here.  
There maybe some nuggets of wisdom but its hard to tell with all the shit they are buried in and its a nasty time finding them unless you are a scatophile.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:14:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Just ordered one. Do they have the dry film lube like on their non blemished?
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Do they have the dry film lube like on their non blemished?
View Quote

Yes.
ETA:
Confirmation from link in OP:

BCM® Upper Receiver - M4 Flat Top (M4 Feedramps) Complete (Unassembled) - DEMO/ScratchedFeatures

Precision machined to correct Mil-Specs from 7075 T6 Forgings
NOT Assembled with forward assist, and ejection port cover
Mil-Std 1913 Rail for mounting optics and accessories
Machined for use with barrels that use an M4 barrel extension
Laser etched T-markings for addressing the remounting of optics
Includes Mil-Spec Forward Assist with heat treated tool steel pawl, with press fit and pinned cap
Hard Coat Anodized per Mil-A-8625F, Type III, Class2
Dry Film Lube on interior bore per Mil-Specs
Made in the U.S.A. (of course)
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote

Sweet. Thanks Tig. I have been waiting for these for a long time
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 5:21:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Solid kit.
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#25]
If anyone wants to trade their regular forge marked upper for my star forge marked upper, I'll happily cover all the shipping
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Someone at BCM must hate me because every blemmed upper I have bought from them looked like crap, deep scratches, large dents, and one even had part of the receiver threads chewed off, so bad it needed the treads chased with a corner file to put a barrel nut on.  No thanks, I’ll leave BCM blems to you guys that never seem to get an actual blem.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 4:52:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Someone at BCM must hate me because every blemmed upper I have bought from them looked like crap, deep scratches, large dents, and one even had part of the receiver threads chewed off, so bad it needed the treads chased with a corner file to put a barrel nut on.  No thanks, I’ll leave BCM blems to you guys that never seem to get an actual blem.
View Quote

How many have you bought? One order or multiple?
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 8:16:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Someone at BCM must hate me because every blemmed upper I have bought from them looked like crap, deep scratches, large dents, and one even had part of the receiver threads chewed off, so bad it needed the treads chased with a corner file to put a barrel nut on.  No thanks, I'll leave BCM blems to you guys that never seem to get an actual blem.
View Quote
I bought a few of them when they were cheaper, and was unable to find any blems on them.  When the price went up, I bought a couple more and these had big scratches down one side.  No big deal, I'll just use them on builds where I'm going to cerakote, but at the higher price I'd just as soon pay a few more bucks for a non-blem and not take a chance on it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 9:44:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I bought a few of them when they were cheaper, and was unable to find any blems on them.  When the price went up, I bought a couple more and these had big scratches down one side.  No big deal, I'll just use them on builds where I'm going to cerakote, but at the higher price I'd just as soon pay a few more bucks for a non-blem and not take a chance on it.
View Quote

This mirrors my thoughts and experiences
Link Posted: 8/7/2022 11:08:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Three orders, four uppers.  Two on one order, and a single on two orders IIRC.  That's just par for the course with my luck.  I've bought a bunch of blems from various makers and only once or twice over many years and many purchases have I actually gotten a product that was not obviously blemished, one of them being an Aero M5 .308 FDE lower.  The other Aero M5 FDE .308 lower had an obvious blemish, no question why it was sold as a blem.  It just kills me though because if one were to believe these posts where people act as if every blem sold is really damned near perfect, that is not always the case.  I am living proof that you had better count on them being heavily blemished, and if not, you are one lucky SOB and go buy a lottery ticket.

There is no real complaint about the sellers because they say up front that they can be cosmetically blemished, and even the upper that had the chewed up threads was perfectly serviceable after touching up the threads with a triangle file (in my world, the lack of anodizing on a section of threads is not going to keep me awake at night), I just don't want some people who from reading some of these posts might think they are going to pay blemished prices but get unblemished products.  Nobody ever seems to say, "Yah, I bought a blemished item from vendor X and that's what I got, scratches, dents, and stains."  Surely to God I am not the only one on this site that buys a blemished item and gets a blemished item.  Or maybe the lucky people who do get unblemished items at blemished prices just like to talk them up and do a bit of bragging?

That's my intention also when buying a blem.  I'll fill a dent and Duracoat over a scratch or stain.  I've done that several times and have no qualms about doing so.  It's just that people need to be aware that they are not always going to get an unblemished item when they are sold as blems.  And that's exactly what most threads of these types lead readers to believe, that they are more than likely going to pay for a blem but get an unblemished item.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 5:30:10 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Three orders, four uppers.  Two on one order, and a single on two orders IIRC.  That's just par for the course with my luck.  I've bought a bunch of blems from various makers and only once or twice over many years and many purchases have I actually gotten a product that was not obviously blemished, one of them being an Aero M5 .308 FDE lower.  The other Aero M5 FDE .308 lower had an obvious blemish, no question why it was sold as a blem.  It just kills me though because if one were to believe these posts where people act as if every blem sold is really damned near perfect, that is not always the case.  I am living proof that you had better count on them being heavily blemished, and if not, you are one lucky SOB and go buy a lottery ticket.

There is no real complaint about the sellers because they say up front that they can be cosmetically blemished, and even the upper that had the chewed up threads was perfectly serviceable after touching up the threads with a triangle file (in my world, the lack of anodizing on a section of threads is not going to keep me awake at night), I just don't want some people who from reading some of these posts might think they are going to pay blemished prices but get unblemished products.  Nobody ever seems to say, "Yah, I bought a blemished item from vendor X and that's what I got, scratches, dents, and stains."  Surely to God I am not the only one on this site that buys a blemished item and gets a blemished item.  Or maybe the lucky people who do get unblemished items at blemished prices just like to talk them up and do a bit of bragging?

That's my intention also when buying a blem.  I'll fill a dent and Duracoat over a scratch or stain.  I've done that several times and have no qualms about doing so.  It's just that people need to be aware that they are not always going to get an unblemished item when they are sold as blems.  And that's exactly what most threads of these types lead readers to believe, that they are more than likely going to pay for a blem but get an unblemished item.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn. Your luck I'd worse than mine.

FWIW,  I've only bought 2 in the past,  both were gtg. I probably won't press my luck any further.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#32]
$89.95 for a used ding and dent upper receiver? Why buy that when brand new and pristine Aero upper receivers are only $89.99?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
$89.95 for a used ding and dent upper receiver? Why buy that when brand new and pristine Aero upper receivers are only $89.99?
View Quote

BCM is kind of like a modern day Colt. Their receivers are intentionally slightly undersized for a thermal fit. In theory, this tight fit is for better accuracy. Their lowers are low shelf as well.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

BCM is kind of like a modern day Colt. Their receivers are intentionally slightly undersized for a thermal fit. In theory, this tight fit is for better accuracy. Their lowers are low shelf as well.
View Quote

So it really comes down to the thermal fit. If that's what someone prefers that's cool. I never really cared for it myself as it just seems to add an unnecessary step into the assembly process... I did have to deal with the thermal fit on the RRA A2 upper I just put together, however, it was just a minor annoyance.

I've seen a bunch of Colt uppers and Aero uppers and I actually prefer the Aero uppers as far as external appearance, they both fit and function the same in my experience.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 12:14:29 PM EDT
[#35]
I ordered (3) after hours on Thursday, 8/4. Received them today, Monday 8/8.

All 3 are keyhole forge. 1 has very, very slight marks on the rear tang from being inserted in a lower or inspection fixture but no bare metal exposed.

None have any extra, or missing machining. Barrel threads are good on all 3. Dry film inside has solid coverage in the bcg channel.

All 3 had some shiny spots on high areas, but they wiped off with my thumb as it was just from being in the plastic bag they shipped in.

Sure, I would have much rather pd $60, but this is 2022...

Edited to add, I bought these expecting a handyman special with regard to finish (I plan to refinish with Cerakote regardless), but there's really nothing of note on the 3 I received. IMO you'd get worse blems buying a finger-fecked gun off the shelf at a gun store.

Maybe the overall finish is more "chalky" than normal?
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 12:22:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So it really comes down to the thermal fit. If that's what someone prefers that's cool. I never really cared for it myself as it just seems to add an unnecessary step into the assembly process... I did have to deal with the thermal fit on the RRA A2 upper I just put together, however, it was just a minor annoyance.

I've seen a bunch of Colt uppers and Aero uppers and I actually prefer the Aero uppers as far as external appearance, they both fit and function the same in my experience.
View Quote

Thermal fit, and dry film coating in the bcg channel is a nice feature.

If you're trying to build an AR to shoot the best it can, a tight barrel fit is essential. Thermal fit is preferable to fitting with shims and bedding compound. If you just want basic function, buy the cheapest you can. You can still make a cheap upper shoot well, but it will take more effort than buying a known undersize part like this BCM.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

If you're trying to build an AR to shoot the best it can, a tight barrel fit is essential. Thermal fit is preferable to fitting with shims and bedding compound. If you just want basic function, buy the cheapest you can. You can still make a cheap upper shoot well, but it will take more effort than buying a known undersize part like this BCM.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I certainly see the point, I just don't think I'd ever see the advantage of it to make it worth the slight assembly hassle with the types of shooting I do, but if you're going for a long range supper precision type of rifle then I say go for it.

On the dry film coating that you find in mil-spec type uppers and receiver extensions, I can't say that I care about that one way or the other as it usually washes off (depending on the brake cleaner I'm using, all non chlorinated) in my pre-assembly cleaning just prepping the parts for assembly.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I certainly see the point, I just don't think I'd ever see the advantage of it to make it worth the slight assembly hassle with the types of shooting I do, but if you're going for a long range supper precision type of rifle then I say go for it.

On the dry film coating that you find in mil-spec type uppers and receiver extensions, I can't say that I care about that one way or the other as it usually washes off (depending on the brake cleaner I'm using, all non chlorinated) in my pre-assembly cleaning just prepping the parts for assembly.
View Quote

The thermal fit is the reason I prefer them. As far as assembly hassle, an extra 30 seconds with a propane torch and the barrel slides right in.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 2:40:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The thermal fit is the reason I prefer them. As far as assembly hassle, an extra 30 seconds with a propane torch and the barrel slides right in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like I said, it might be worth it if you're going for precision, but otherwise I think the potential accuracy gain from a thermal fit upper would be lost in the noise to where 99% of AR shooters would never notice. There's literally millions of non thermal fit uppers out there and no one is really complaining... For that 1% though, it might be worth looking into.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 3:49:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

I really like Aero. I have about 20 Aero receivers in the shop at any given time for customer builds. Great value, finishing and machining. I do equate BCM as being more of a workhorse like Colt. It is obvious by their markings they are inspired by Colt
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Got mine.  Keyhole on the side.  Can’t find the blem…it looks better than every colt upper I’ve ever bought.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top