Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/13/2019 11:56:12 PM EDT
Has anyone tried one of these yet? Perhaps it’s another option in the category of Vltor MURs and Aero M4E1 threaded uppers. Slight benefits to be seen with precision minded builds.

They also talk about gas expansion areas to divert away from shooters face. BCM really hasn’t come out with anything that’s innovating or game changing....ever, so I’m a little skeptical but it does look cool and I’m somewhat intrigued.

BCM MK2 upper receiver
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:18:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I grabbed a couple to try on newer builds down the road. Not going to switch out my existing BCM blem uppers for them. But I'll give them a try going forward.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:53:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Haven't heard of uppers breaking, didn't know there was a need for a stronger one.  I like the extra space with the fa being moved up.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a 20" 5.56 precision-type setup for long-range plinking.  I'm thinking the increased rigidity of the upper, to lock in the scope mounting-rail better with the barrel snout can only help with shot-to-shot consistency.  Probably a waste on a CQB 14.5" setup unless you're using the barrel as a pry bar to open steel doors.  and it's half the price of the Noveske Gen III upper.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 10:31:24 PM EDT
[#4]
It's a nice addition to the market. Not sure it will sell well without them integrating it into their rifle and upper sales. Unfortunately BCM is stubborn and still clings to Keymod of all things.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 11:58:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I’m intrigued...
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#6]
If it seriously cut down gas to the face, I would try one. If not, it's useless IMO.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 2:39:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't seem like marketing has done a good job with this piece.
- Most of the early work with this design seems to have been focused around reducing bolt breakage.
- Read a fluffpiece today in a gunrag talk about how it reduced deflection from uneven bipod loading by some ridiculous amount.
- Larry Vickers who is now skinny again seems to have zeroed in on the idea of it protecting your face from OOB
- Finally, BCM's copy looks like they can't express what actual advantages it has.

It is "just $20 more" (than an overpriced $100 BCM upper), but I'd be in $60 on an assembled Poverty Pony anyway. $120 is play money in AR land. I'm the sort of person that shims and glues barrels into uppers, so I'll give it a shot with miniscule accuracy improvement and theoretically improved bolt life in mind.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Haven't heard of uppers breaking, didn't know there was a need for a stronger one.
View Quote
Airtight logic. I suppose this is why we're all running around with 20" barrels, birdcage FHs, and carry handles.
Link Posted: 12/16/2019 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Doesn't seem like marketing has done a good job with this piece.
- Most of the early work with this design seems to have been focused around reducing bolt breakage.
- Read a fluffpiece today in a gunrag talk about how it reduced deflection from uneven bipod loading by some ridiculous amount.
- Larry Vickers who is now skinny again seems to have zeroed in on the idea of it protecting your face from OOB
- Finally, BCM's copy looks like they can't express what actual advantages it has.

It is "just $20 more" (than an overpriced $100 BCM upper), but I'd be in $60 on an assembled Poverty Pony anyway. $120 is play money in AR land. I'm the sort of person that shims and glues barrels into uppers, so I'll give it a shot with miniscule accuracy improvement and theoretically improved bolt life in mind.

Airtight logic. I suppose this is why we're all running around with 20" barrels, birdcage FHs, and carry handles.
View Quote
Sarcasm noted? lol

I don't understand this MK2 upper anyway, not for me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:43:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm planning to buy a 14.5" MK2 BFH-ELW upper with an MCMR-13 handguard from BCM's store as a Christmas present to myself; I already have one of their lowers on order. This will be my first BCM rifle; will post my impressions of the URG (and the MK2 specifically) once I get it.

Quoted:
Perhaps it’s another option in the category of Vltor MURs and Aero M4E1 threaded uppers. Slight benefits to be seen with precision minded builds.
View Quote
Agree that it's not as innovative as BCM's marketing makes it out to be. Besides Vltor MUR and Aero M4E1, I thought of Noveske's Gen III uppers when I first saw the prototype BCM MK2 upper on Vickers Tactical. (I haven't done enough research to compare the weight difference on all of these uppers, which is supposedly another selling point of the MK2.) The benefits still sound plausible enough - and I'm still open-minded enough - to splurge and spend an extra $20 on my BCM URG to get a MK2 upper.

Quoted:
It's a nice addition to the market. Not sure it will sell well without them integrating it into their rifle and upper sales. Unfortunately BCM is stubborn and still clings to Keymod of all things.
View Quote
Nah, I'm sure that the BCM MK2 will see healthy sales, based on the exposure that Larry Vickers has afforded them alone (I'd be lying to myself if I said that those Vickers Tactical videos were not enticing for me, though I have also wanted to do a BCM build for some time now). Also, as of last week, they've started selling it on assembled uppers (including MCMR uppers) and at least one of their pistol configs.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#10]
So, they beefed up the amount of material at the barrel nut and shrunk the forward assist. I don't see how either of these things are not benefits.

As I posted in the other thread.

Link Posted: 12/17/2019 3:15:36 PM EDT
[#11]
As I said in the other locked thread:

I'll be buying one early 2020 when my bonus comes in, unless I hear something disqualifying. Idk if the improvements mean anything, but I was going to buy a BCM upper anyway so for $20 more, might as well try it out and have something a little unique. If the claim that it helps with gas in the face while shooting suppressed has any credence it'll be worth it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 11:36:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Unfortunately BCM is stubborn and still clings to Keymod of all things.
View Quote
If I had to guess..this is because BCM along with their close partner (and keymod developer) Vltor are highly invested in keymod. BCM due to their close relationship with Vltor was intimately involved in promoting and pushing keymod (Vltors baby) and may even have financial interests in the design.

If I recall correctly the Noveske upper is actually a rebranded MUR produced by Vltor and I wouldnt be suprised at all (given BCM's relationship with Vltor) if this MK2 upper is actually produced by Vltor to BCM's requested specs.
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If I recall correctly the Noveske upper is actually a rebranded MUR produced by Vltor and I wouldnt be suprised at all (given BCM's relationship with Vltor) if this MK2 upper is actually produced by Vltor to BCM's requested specs.
View Quote
I realize that all Noveske rifles initially used Vltor MUR uppers, but I thought that by the time they got to the Gen III receivers, they were manufacturing their own design that is similar to the MUR, but not the same? Perhaps I am mistaken - I do realize that Noveske, like BCM, has a close relationship with Vltor. However, this topic (from a few years ago) seems to confirm my understanding.

Dunno that the BCM MK2 is actually made by Vltor, though. I thought BCM actually purchased a new forging for their factory floor in order to start making these?
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I realize that all Noveske rifles initially used Vltor MUR uppers, but I thought that by the time they got to the Gen III receivers, they were manufacturing their own design that is similar to the MUR, but not the same? Perhaps I am mistaken - I do realize that Noveske, like BCM, has a close relationship with Vltor. However, this topic (from a few years ago) seems to confirm my understanding.

Dunno that the BCM MK2 is actually made by Vltor, though. I thought BCM actually purchased a new forging for their factory floor in order to start making these?
View Quote
Stubborn Mule (SMOS) did much of Noveske's work up until a few years ago (receivers, NSR etc).

I give props to BCM for trying something new. I just don't know how much real improvement this upper would offer over a standard one. Interesting to see the forward assist movement which remind me much of the Sig MCX.
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Stubborn Mule (SMOS) did much of Noveske's work up until a few years ago (receivers, NSR etc).

I give props to BCM for trying something new. I just don't know how much real improvement this upper would offer over a standard one. Interesting to see the forward assist movement which remind me much of the Sig MCX.
View Quote
Don’t they still?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#17]
To my astonishment, my MK2 BFH-MCMR upper was delivered earlier today (estimated delivery date/time was Monday afternoon). I slapped the upper onto my new BCM lower (which arrived yesterday) and then added my EOTech EXPS3. As someone whose other AR is a Daniel Defense M4A1 (fitted with a RIS II), the weight difference is a shock to me - this rifle feels almost like a toy compared to my DD. Overall, though the MK2 upper is pretty much what I expected - kinda novel, not in an especially useful way, but nice to have if you happen to be in the market for a BCM upper.

I'll post pics once my BUIS and Magpul ladder rail covers (for the 12:00 Picatinny rail) arrive, which should be in the next couple days. I probably won't run it with a light, at least not just yet.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:30:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
At one point Noveske was using rebranded MUR uppers. That certainly may have changed, point is that Vltor oem's parts for companies who lack their own manufacturing capabilities like Noveske (MUR uppers at least at one time) and BCM (their gunfighter charging handles at least up until the redesign and possibly still, A5 systems, and their exclusive use of Vltors keymod until recently).

I doubt they are forging their own receivers, not even Colt has that capability. And even if they did buy their own machinery and had the facilities to house that machinery; forging components is not something you just decide to do, pay to play and immediately pump out quality components. Finish machining? Maybe..possibly, but why would they pay Vltor to manufacture charging handles if they had the machinery and skilled operators to machine receivers? BCM isnt known for actual manufacturing..theyre known for sourcing parts, assembling and qc.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:46:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
To my astonishment, my MK2 BFH-MCMR upper was delivered earlier today (estimated delivery date/time was Monday afternoon). I slapped the upper onto my new BCM lower (which arrived yesterday) and then added my EOTech EXPS3. As someone whose other AR is a Daniel Defense M4A1 (fitted with a RIS II), the weight difference is a shock to me - this rifle feels almost like a toy compared to my DD.
View Quote
How is upper set up? Handguard type (ris is obviously a quad rail), handguard length, barrel length and profile?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:47:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 1:51:30 AM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
Yeah, Ive seen that picture before. I dont know what to make of it because the the forging press is only one part of the equation. There is much more equipment necessary to the process as a whole; from automation (to run with any efficiency) to preparation of raw materials (cutting), to heating furnaces, to the forging press itself, dies costing likely in the high tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars (which wear and must be replaced periodically), flash trimming, blasting/polishing machinery etc. and the skilled (experienced) personnel (consultants, engineers, metallurgists, experienced operators) to setup and run the equipment. Thats a huge investment in just forging and not including finish machining and the associated costs of equipment and skilled labor (which hopefully you can find, and recruit in your AO).

It doesnt make much sense unless you are planning to oem forgings for other manufacturers and/or forge parts for more than just AR15's. I suspect this is likely why we see most forged receivers coming from large industrial forge plants like Cerro, Alcoa, Brass Aluminum Forging, Anchor Harvey etc. Even major military suppliers Colt and FN dont forge their own receivers.

Just like CHF, just because you have the money to buy one of the required machines (dd), doesnt mean you know what youre doing.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 7:37:24 AM EDT
[#22]
BCM Mk2 Upper...a solution looking for a problem?

Perhaps, but the BCMs I own (A4 & EAG) are as solid as solid can get.  Never heard tell of an AR upper in need of strengthening...that is until I saw LAV's video on YewTewb.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Nevermind.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 8:13:52 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm not one to really give a shit as to gimmicks and such but I have owned some MURS and this is in that category but doesn't limit your handguard selection as the Vltor's can.  I bought one to mount up a Larue Stealth 20"er and as with all BCM Uppers had to heat it to seat it. I do love the tightness of the barrel lock up on BCM uppers as I do the upper to lower fit on a RRA lower.  It's a nice Upper
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:48:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Next time I need an upper I’ll probably get one to try but it’s not anything I’m rushing out to grab.
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/22/2019 10:35:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I'm not one to really give a shit as to gimmicks and such but I have owned some MURS and this is in that category but doesn't limit your handguard selection as the Vltor's can.  I bought one to mount up a Larue Stealth 20"er and as with all BCM Uppers had to heat it to seat it. I do love the tightness of the barrel lock up on BCM uppers as I do the upper to lower fit on a RRA lower.  It's a nice Upper
View Quote
Pretty sure I've heard that it will interfere with Geissele rails.  Kind of a big thing when Geissele owns so much of the rail market.

I've also heard it won't work with LMT MARS lowers.  I can see how it will have problems with a number of other aftermarket kit like bolt catches as well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 1:27:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Pretty sure I've heard that it will interfere with Geissele rails.  Kind of a big thing when Geissele owns so much of the rail market.

I've also heard it won't work with LMT MARS lowers.  I can see how it will have problems with a number of other aftermarket kit like bolt catches as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FYI, the newer MUR cuts do accommodate a lot of the rails out there.
Link Posted: 12/23/2019 9:39:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

PSA has several YT vids out detailing their capabilities. They are running them in their entirety. From the furnace, to stamping, trimming, ect to the banks of HAAS CNC machines for final cutting.

No idea if BCM is doing the same, but it's not unimaginable.

Eta: as far as PSA, I cannot say on the ano process, haven't seen/read any info on that yet. They are supposedly doing OEM work for a good amount also, although NOBODY will drop that info.
View Quote
Interesting, it does make more sense if they are OEM receivers to other companies. PSA is truly the American dream made reality. Theyve been killing the game for years now; even without manufacturing capabilities, the sheer volume of sales they do (and the associated volume pricing they no doubt get) makes competing against them  nearly futile. The key to their success was going the opposite direction of many other companies; instead of juicing the customer with astronomical pricing causing low sale volume, they charge less but end making more through high volume while creating a customer base of satisfied and loyal customers.
Link Posted: 12/25/2019 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Can anyone comment on the gas redirecting cuts?

That is really my only interest in this upper.
Link Posted: 12/28/2019 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#31]
+1 to the above

Also, anyone have anything to mention about MARS-L lower compatibility?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#32]
My VCAS sling and rail covers arrived this weekend, so here are some pics of my new BCM setup (originally posted on my IMFDB account), which is partially inspired by Larry Vickers' training rifle:

And here are some close-ups of the MK2 upper:

Haven't been able to take it out yet; hoping to do so next weekend.
Link Posted: 12/30/2019 11:09:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My VCAS sling and rail covers arrived this weekend, so here are some pics of my new BCM setup (originally posted on my IMFDB account), which is partially inspired by Larry Vickers' training rifle:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/1/12/BCM-MK2-BFH-1.jpg
http://www.imfdb.org/images/6/69/BCM-MK2-BFH-4.jpg

And here are some close-ups of the MK2 upper:

http://www.imfdb.org/images/7/74/BCM-MK2-BFH-2.jpg
http://www.imfdb.org/images/e/e0/BCM-MK2-BFH-5.jpg

Haven't been able to take it out yet; hoping to do so next weekend.
View Quote
Very nice.  I have one sitting on my bench now.  Interestingly though mine doesnt have the white bcm lettering, only the roll mark.  My main interest in the upper is that I'm left handed so the relocation of the forward assist will make manipulating the charging handle much more comfortable.

Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

My understanding is that BCM only does the white billboard markings on complete guns.
View Quote
Makes sense
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Very nice.  I have one sitting on my bench now.  Interestingly though mine doesnt have the white bcm lettering, only the roll mark.  My main interest in the upper is that I'm left handed so the relocation of the forward assist will make manipulating the charging handle much more comfortable.
View Quote
And I think that this feature, more than the extra receiver strength or the gas expansion chamber, is probably the most tangible benefit of the BCM MK2 upper for the average AR-15 buyer (assuming that they don't choose to run a lefty rifle instead, like the ones made by Stag).
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I'll be able to answer my own question soon, but does anyone know if the altered dimensions will affect DD RIS II install?
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'll be able to answer my own question soon, but does anyone know if the altered dimensions will affect DD RIS II install?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Someone on TOS says this:
FYI, the DD RIS M4A1 handguard will work with the MK2 upper, but not without a *little* bit of filing on the anti-rotation tabs. Also, due to the thicker reinforced upper, the hardware (mounting bolts) install procedure is different than normal, and can only be done one way.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Someone on TOS says this:
View Quote
Thank you! That's too bad... not keen on filling. Looks like I'll have to acquire a new upper for this project.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I’ll add to this again by verifying that this upper will not work with the Larue rails damn it!  Lol after I stated it plays well with others I went to build up my 20” stealth build today and I’ll be damned the anti rotational lock plate won’t fit!  Had to break her down and use one of my Aero uppers for the 13.2 LAT rail that showed up today.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I’ll add to this again by verifying that this upper will not work with the Larue rails damn it!  Lol after I stated it plays well with others I went to build up my 20” stealth build today and I’ll be damned the anti rotational lock plate won’t fit!  Had to break her down and use one of my Aero uppers for the 13.2 LAT rail that showed up today.
View Quote
Thanks for the heads up on this. Just ordered a mk 2 upper yesterday that I was planning to use with the
LAT. hopefully I can cancel.

These uppers are $101 at Gunprodeals for whoever is interested, by the way.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Does anyone know if it will work with a Geiselle MK4/8 without cutting off the anti rotation tabs?
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote
hell, every employee at PSA ws saying they made all parts in house when they opened their first store in north east Columbia....all the while AP was making them....not the first time found to be in a lie. To be honest, AP made better receivers for them and they should have just kept letting them make them. who am i to complain i form 1 two of their receivers.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:19:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:07:06 AM EDT
[#46]
Just assembled my MK2 with a Midwest Industries G3 lightweight series hand guard and the anti-rotational torque plate won't fit. The thicker upper portion just above the front takedown pin location prevents it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:15:17 AM EDT
[#47]

Definitely makes life easier for a lefty. Much easier to run the charging handle and no more interference between the sling qd and the forward assist.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#48]
What's the mk2 weigh? (Just the mk2 upper receiver, on it's own)
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:40:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 1:01:28 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
1/3 oz more than std USGI M4.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's the mk2 weigh? (Just the mk2 upper receiver, on it's own)
1/3 oz more than std USGI M4.
Thank you. I could've sworn I already had the weight info but could not find it for the life of me.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top