Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/5/2018 9:44:41 AM EDT
Looking fora side by side picture of BCM’s Keymod and BCM MLok set ups. Can’t decide which one to get.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Looking fora side by side picture of BCM’s Keymod and BCM MLok set ups. Can’t decide which one to get.
View Quote
Just get the MLOK. While Keymod isn't dead, it is on it's way. MLOK is also a stronger mounting system.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:18:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm the other way.  The Crane test tested three brands I would not pick first.  Keymod has an easier mounting system and is generally a little lighter.  I have five 15" rails, one DD and four SLR.

Both are gtg.  If I were buying today, I'd still go keymod.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#3]
M-Lok

Keymod is Dead.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:27:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I won't buy anymore Keymod rails it will be all M lok from here on out.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:30:36 AM EDT
[#5]
FPNI
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I think M-Lok looks better but I personally find Keymod a bit less "fiddly" to install and remove accessories.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 12:50:13 PM EDT
[#7]
M-Lok is what I went with.
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 11:32:36 PM EDT
[#8]
M-lok is superior, and keymod will be dead soon
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 4:20:36 AM EDT
[#9]
M-lok is more future-proof and stronger and cooler looking. You'll be Mr. CoolGuy with a BCM M-Lok rail.

Keymod isn't as cool anymore but it's strong enough, lighter, and adding/removing accessories is easier and takes less time. Keymod accessories are also slimmer and sleeker near the mounting area.

So if you care about your self-esteem maybe stick with M-Lok.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:04:35 AM EDT
[#10]
I switched from keymod to mlok.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#11]
M-lok looks better and is probably stronger.

Keymod is a bit easier to mount accessories.

I have both. They both work fine. I’ll stick with m-lok from now on.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:30:59 AM EDT
[#12]
To my eye M lock looks generic. Keymod looks better.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#13]
As one who has both, I think keymod is the overall better system BUT the choices for MLOK accessories are much better. To me, keymod is easier to install & remove but I don't do that often enough for it to really matter.

Over the past few years MLOK seems to be winning in availability. The last two uppers I've purchased have MLOKs and will probably stick with that going forward.

But most of my rails also have at least one picatinny rail attached as 95% of all my grips & accessories are still pic rail.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#14]
I like Keymod better, but have no problem with Mlok.

I prefer picatinny over both.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 9:26:30 AM EDT
[#15]
They both feel the same to me.  I'm buying MLOK now as I build guns because of the testing Crane did.  With that said, I'm in no rush to replace the keymod to MLOK just to have MLOK

Link Posted: 11/16/2018 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a lot of Keymod rails.

Now I have a lot of Mlok rails, and soon will have no Keymod rails.

Mlok isn't as elegant, you don't have as many mounting options, and the accessories tend to be bulkier... but you're also not going to worry about having your stuff fall off.   And yes, I know how to install things properly.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Have both systems.

Never had an issue with keymod.
Still prefer keymod for reasons already stated above.

Never really cared how one looks vs the other.
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Have both.

Keymod is easier to mount stuff, M-lok took some finessing to get the fasteners exactly even, I'm a bit OCD with that, the shorty vertical grip I placed I'd like to have a square piece that when I rotate the fastener around, I can pull down on it and it will slip into the slot and engage it making it easier to tighten and get it lined up at 90 degree.  Keymod, slipped it on and just tightened, no fiddling with getting fasteners straight.  Could have been those particular fasteners.

The test that was done was a very small sample, I'm not into such a sample size, would rather they ran 100 of each hand guard they tested, that would be a better sampling as well as see more than just a few hand guards represented, still kind of small but much better than what they used.  People, however, will latch on to the test like it is gospel end-all-be-all ultimate test thinking there is nothing wrong with that test because they don't understand sampling sizes, so the trend will ultimately go toward M-lok.  Keymod will still be around for a while, not going to just disappear.

I'll use either, if I find something on sale.  Looks on either don't bother me, I'll buy stuff for both, I'll have some parts around for both, meh.

If you like looks of one over the other, get the one you like.  If you find a deal on one type and don't care about the looks, go for it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2018 4:21:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Keymod.........I don’t know what the fuck people mean by mlok is easier to mount shit to......bullshit it is.

This is what I think.   Magpul fed you all a crock of shit and you guys asked for seconds and thirds.

Keymod hands down
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#20]
MLOK

No Dickmod
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keymod.........I don’t know what the fuck people mean by mlok is easier to mount shit to......bullshit it is.

This is what I think.   Magpul fed you all a crock of shit and you guys asked for seconds and thirds.

Keymod hands down
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:15:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
This is where I'm at.  I like KM look more
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Hard to tell between 'em when purses start a-swingin'...
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 9:58:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:42:21 PM EDT
[#25]
M-lok.

It's a no brainer.

M-lok won and keymod lost.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:05:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Do you plan on hooking shit to it? I believe I have one of each, not because one is better than the other but because I just wanted a free float handguard and I didn't pay attention to whether my first one I bought was M lock or key mod.

For my purposes, the bipod fits on each just fine
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Picatinny : Heaviest weight, quickest attach / detach method, most rail positions at 0/90/180/270, strongest rail, very secure attachment

Keymod : potentially lightest weight, faster than MLok attach / detach method (slower than pic), less rail positions than pic at 0/90/180/270, potentially adds mounts at other angles, weaker than pic rail, least secure attachment

MLok : also potentially lightest weight, slowest attach / detach method, less rail positions than keymod at 0/90/180/270, potentially adds mounts at other angles, weaker than pic rail, more secure attachment than keymod
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:32:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
M-Lok

Keymod is Dead Gay.
View Quote
Fixed.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#29]
I like Keymod, but not many factory rifles are offering it anymore.

I have 4 NSRs in rifles, they won’t be replaced. However, I’ll probably just buy MLok fromHere out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:38:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Keymod means your rifle is covered in weiner shaped holes. And weiners are gay.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:52:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Mlok for the win.. magpul says so.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:54:33 PM EDT
[#32]
I have several of both and prefer keymod, easier to mount too and looks better.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Both suck with polymer handguards. But MLok is really nice with alluminum.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#34]
This is a preference situation I have both and prefer keymod (bit lighter...). Neither are going to disappear pick the one you like.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 1:46:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Both will come loose even when tightened down with torque and Loc-tited in place.

I've seen it happen several times now in my courses, so I personally am weary of attaching with them.

Loc-tite is a polymer, so its coefficient of thermal expansion across a wide thermal gradient (going from ambient cold to hot barrel) will cause it to expand and contract.

They both suck for mounting things unless the backface of the handguard is made a certain way and the user sets the shoes on KMR properly, then torques to a certain spec, with a thread-locker that won't come undone with wide thermal gradients, but then you have something that isn't coming off if you want to change its location or upgrade to another device.

For me, I won't ever trust them though.

The 12 o'clock dedicated rail and any other dedicated rails are all I will rely on personally.

If there's a recess for the shoe with no ability for the shoe to rotate, then you can have a more secure lock-up.

For QD slings swivels, I prefer dedicated flush sockets machined into the handguard.

I know there are some guys mounting ancillary aiming/illumination devices with KMR and MLOK that seem to be having success, but I'm not aware if they run high volume courses in the types of conditions that I do on a regular basis.

What I've found is that extreme cold weather is the most unforgiving environment when it comes to pretty much any mechanical device or machinery.  Things shift around and behave in ways that you're not used to on fair weather ranges.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#36]
I have both but prefer the Keymod since it much simpler to mount accessories for.  MLOK is the future and when BCM started offering it that was the ballgame in my book.  In saying that however I would not hesitate to grab another upper in keymod.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Both will come loose even when tightened down with torque and Loc-tited in place.

I've seen it happen several times now in my courses, so I personally am weary of attaching with them.

Loc-tite is a polymer, so its coefficient of thermal expansion across a wide thermal gradient (going from ambient cold to hot barrel) will cause it to expand and contract.

They both suck for mounting things unless the backface of the handguard is made a certain way and the user sets the shoes on KMR properly, then torques to a certain spec, with a thread-locker that won't come undone with wide thermal gradients, but then you have something that isn't coming off if you want to change its location or upgrade to another device.

For me, I won't ever trust them though.

The 12 o'clock dedicated rail and any other dedicated rails are all I will rely on personally.

If there's a recess for the shoe with no ability for the shoe to rotate, then you can have a more secure lock-up.

For QD slings swivels, I prefer dedicated flush sockets machined into the handguard.

I know there are some guys mounting ancillary aiming/illumination devices with KMR and MLOK that seem to be having success, but I'm not aware if they run high volume courses in the types of conditions that I do on a regular basis.

What I've found is that extreme cold weather is the most unforgiving environment when it comes to pretty much any mechanical device or machinery.  Things shift around and behave in ways that you're not used to on fair weather ranges.
View Quote
Is your opinion based on mere anecodotal evidence?

Or have you actually put pen to paper and tracked the number of times attachments have come loose in your courses in a statistical/scientific way? Whats more, have you actually taken the time to gut check your students and their attaching methods during safety prechecks prior to actual range time to rule out incorrect attachment of accessories by the shooter?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 3:18:14 PM EDT
[#38]
M-Lok I just cannot get over that many penis shapes all over my rifle.  I already have Spikes lowers with dueling penises last thing I need is 30 or so penis shapes all over the rail.  M-lok because I do not like the cock.

Also M-Lok is easy to mount to I am not sure why so many are having difficulty mounting on either they are both fast and easy.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 6:46:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm the other way.  The Crane test tested three brands I would not pick first.  Keymod has an easier mounting system and is generally a little lighter.  I have five 15" rails, one DD and four SLR.

Both are gtg.  If I were buying today, I'd still go keymod.
View Quote
Keymod is dead. The design is a weaker design than MLOK. Not just the crane test. The webbing between keymod slots is weaker than the webbing area between MLOK slots. Even AKOU broke the keymod version in their test. Keymod is a weak design.

MLOK is the now and future.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 10:44:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Keymod hands down
View Quote
Key mod does look better, easy to install and its lighter. MLOK looks so generic and lots of people drink the Magpul Kool-Aid. Picatinny rails beats both. With all due respect to those who prefer MLOK. Give me a picatinny rail any day.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 10:14:25 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I think M-Lok looks better but I personally find Keymod a bit less "fiddly" to install and remove accessories.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 10:36:03 AM EDT
[#42]
MLOK was personally approved by Great Leader Desslok himself.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 5:47:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Had 1 Keymod HG
got multiple M-Lok HG's
recently replaced the 1 Keymod with an M-Lok

all M-lok now,wasn't anything wrong with Keymod really but decided commonality was a good thing.
and keymod is going the way of the Dodo
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 4:23:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Until BCM makes an MLOK version of their PKMR handguard I will still be buying Keymod.

Love that handguard.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Until BCM makes an MLOK version of their PKMR handguard I will still be buying Keymod.

Love that handguard.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 12:27:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Mlok or picatinny.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Not trying to sound distasteful OP but Kmod vs Mlock is a high school argument.  Both work well for their intended purpose.  Get the one that looks the coolest to you and run it.  Both work very well IMHO.  I hope this helps.  By the way FWIW I still run picatinny for the most part and it works well for ME and is easier to use, no tools necessary to swap out my kit on the fly for the most part.  Between the two you mentioned I prefer Mlock.  Edited to add content.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Mlok
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 2:47:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Not trying to sound distasteful OP but Kmod vs Mlock is a high school argument.  Both work well for their intended purpose.  Get the one that looks the coolest to you and run it.  Both work very well IMHO.  I hope this helps.  By the way FWIW I still run picatinny for the most part and it works well for ME and is easier to use, no tools necessary to swap out my kit on the fly for the most part.  Between the two you mentioned I prefer Mlock.  Edited to add content.
View Quote
I have both and I think this sums it up.  Keymod is taking a back seat to mlok but if you found a smoking deal on a keypad, that would be cool too.  I have mostly keymod and don't feel the need to change them all out immediately, maybe that will change in the future.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top