Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/3/2020 6:37:07 PM EDT
As the title suggests, what does everyone think of the BCM KAG versus the Magpul AFG? I've used an AFG before and liked it but have no experience with the KAG. I'm a c-clamp style shooter if that makes a difference. And do you guys have any other favorites you think I should consider?

Intended use is for a patrol rifle (11.5 barrel) and a simple lightweight 14.5 I just have for fun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 6:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/7/2020 9:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have and like both. I prefer the KAG on a longer hand guard and the AFG on the shorter hand guard.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:37:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't like the angle of the AFG. I use the KAG on all of my guns (except SPR type guns).
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 9:40:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 11:07:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Out of the Magpul line, the AFG2 is my favorite as well. A little more diameter; but fits my hand well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:56:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I just put an AFG-2 on my 14.7" with a KAC M4 RAS. I've tried a few others (Verts, KAG, etc) and because of old injuries I couldn't get a comfortable grip angle. The closest I came was using a short vert grip as a hand stop (half on the grip, half on the rail) which gets my wrist at a better angle, but I don't have the best grip on the handguard. With the AFG flush with the front of my RAS, I get a nice, comfortable grip. I am about 5'11", wear large size gloves, use a c-clamp grip and use my thumb on my 12 O'Clock rail mounted light switch.
Everyone's physiology is a bit different, for me, the AFG works best.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:56:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I have had an afg, a kag, and I don’t like any of them. I prefer a bcm vertical mod3 as a hand stop but for anything less than 12” the legality is foggy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:03:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I have tried both the magpul AFG and BCM KAG.  Don't care for either one, particularly not on an 11.5".  I like the BCM or equivalent polymer brand of your choice stubby vfg on shorter rifles, but that tends to mean SBR territory.  That also lets me get my hands off the rail in case it gets too hot from operating, LARPing, shooting suppressed, etc.

For  14.5" carbines I like something like the Griffin Armament rail panel sets.  VG, Railscales, Geissele, BCM, etc also are fine.  Your budget is what it is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:18:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I prefer nothing on a rail... that said, rail thickness, available rail length for spacing, and your shooting preference will determine which you like better. One is not better than the other.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 10:25:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I have the BCM AFG on a 13" handguard.  That is my go-to AR for 3GUN and home defense.  It really works well for me.

I also have a vertical grip on an MCX SBR.  It works well when there is less forearm to hold.

Really is a netter of personal preference, but generally speaking your palm faces you when your hand is close to your chest.  If you make a fist and touch your sternum, your knuckles probably touch your chest.  Your palm rotates away from you the farther you outstretch your arm.  If you make a fist and extend your arm, your thumb rotates forward.  The different grips help accommodate the more natural position of your hand at a distance.  Hope that makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I never could get to liking the AFG.  I've tried them on 10.5", 12.5", 14.5, and 16".  Just never felt right.  I do however like the the KAG though.  I have that on a 16" and 14.5".  Just feels better in hand.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Never tried a KAG. On railed handguards I do like using the AFG1.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rzrsedge82:
I have and like both. I prefer the KAG on a longer hand guard and the AFG on the shorter hand guard.
View Quote

This is my preference as well. Wrist angle is too sharp to be comfortable on a short handguard with the KAG.  But I also have ape arms.
Link Posted: 5/12/2020 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a modified KAG on my 11.5 to fit with the geissele mk4 rail. Allows me to get it up forward just enough.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Go with the KAG...provides instant repeatable fore grip position without the excess size, weight, and weird angle of the Magpul afg....
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top