Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2023 8:12:18 AM EDT
I’m looking at getting a new upper from BCM. I’m pretty set on a 14.5 inch upper and wondering if I should go with the ELW profile or standard. I have handled an ELW upper before and liked how light it is but have heard people complain about how hot it gets. This is going to be used as a general purpose rifle, either going to mount an LPVO or red dot and magnifier and I would like to be able to run it hard without heating the barrel up too much and shortening the life of it.

Anyone have experience with both? Interested in hearing pros and cons of each and what would you go for if you were buying a new upper.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you want it heavy at the muzzle and light behind the gas block, or heavy behind the gas block and light at the muzzle?

You won't be able to tell if one gets hotter than the other because the gas block right under your hand.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:31:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you want it heavy at the muzzle and light behind the gas block, or heavy behind the gas block and light at the muzzle?

You won't be able to tell if one gets hotter than the other because the gas block right under your hand.
View Quote

When you say I won’t be able to tell if one gets hotter than the other because of the gas block, are you saying that the gas block is what is radiating the most heat so the barrel is insignificantly contributing? That makes sense to me.

I suppose I would want the weight behind the gas block and lighter on the muzzle end. I might need to find someone with a 14.5 government profile just to see how I like it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 4:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#6]
ELW.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:56:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When you say I won’t be able to tell if one gets hotter than the other because of the gas block, are you saying that the gas block is what is radiating the most heat so the barrel is insignificantly contributing? That makes sense to me.

I suppose I would want the weight behind the gas block and lighter on the muzzle end. I might need to find someone with a 14.5 government profile just to see how I like it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don’t waste your time.  The tapered barrel is better.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
ELW all day every day. My 11.5 was so nice I assembled a 14.5 that's getting it cherry popped Saturday. Lightweight barrels are the way
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
ELW all day every day. My 11.5 was so nice I assembled a 14.5 that's getting it cherry popped Saturday. Lightweight barrels are the way
View Quote

Sounds awesome, let me know how you like it! I still haven’t made my mind up but most people seem to prefer the ELW version. Looking in BCM’s website it seems like the ELW version has about 3 times as many reviews than the standard.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top