Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2020 5:39:00 PM EDT
Hi,

I have a Daniel Defense V7 Pro 18" that I have had the following problem: every now and then (every 10-150 rounds) the BCG will not fully close. A new round is chambered, but the BCG will not fully close. By not fully I mean there is a a 1/2" way to go for full closure. Forward assist will close it, but during competitions that's obviously not an option. The round count of the rifle is somewhere between 5k and 6k. I swapped the stock BCG with a new chrome DD BCG and the problem went away for about 600 rounds. Now it's back... Weird. The rifle is ultra clean and super generously lubed. What I have checked so far:

- chamber has been checked, no issues there.
- gas port has been inspected with a bore scope, no issues.
- gas block is not loose
- buffer spring and weight has been changed, didn't help
- hot old cold weather doesn't seem to change the situation

the only thing I can think of is the buffer tube itself. It has some wear (carrier tilt?) see picture. Could this be causing the problem? I have tried eyeballing the tube, and now I'm thinking it might be a little bit tilted? see second picture. The main question I guess is that could carrier tilt really cause this kind of a problem?

Buffer tube: https://photos.app.goo.gl/F5UAmwWQL8kqaoVK7

Lower: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1G6Q3eQrEfzdJNNR9

I'm running out of ideas here, any help is greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 12/21/2020 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you riding charging handle or slingshot it ?

Look at gas tube , could be bent.

Could be worn buffer spring, but would take pile of rounds to wear one out

Pic of lower looks like buffer pin too high and buffer tube needs one more turn on the threads
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 12:51:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Pic of lower looks like buffer pin too high and buffer tube needs one more turn on the threads
View Quote

The bolt not closing could be that it occasionally drags on the buffer pin.  Any signs of wear on the bottom of the BCG or the top of the pin?  Like die-tryin said, one more rotation of the buffer tube should lower the pin slightly
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 2:58:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the answers and troubleshooting tips. I will try them all as soon as possible and report back.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 11:43:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Betting it’s the buffer tube/pin. It appears to not be screwed in all the way leaving the pin proud.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
You didn't say what ammo you are shooting. In my experience this is almost always the result of reloads that haven't been resized enough, another .002" shoulder bump will allow the bolt to close on every round.

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 2:43:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I had this same issue but it was on a newish gun, and newish BCG with too much lube. I use a thicker lube than most which is the SuperLube grease and sometimes the oil can spray also; and somehow the liquid oil seeped into chamber and was causing too much drag on some of my reloaded rounds.

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You didn't say what ammo you are shooting. In my experience this is almost always the result of reloads that haven't been resized enough, another .002" shoulder bump will allow the bolt to close on every round.

View Quote

Yup, get a chamber gauge and check all your ammo.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:56:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:29:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the suggestions and answers. Here are my replies:

"Are you riding charging handle or slingshot it ?"
- No, and this happens only during actually firing, not charging

"Look at gas tube , could be bent."
- Checked this, not bent

"Could be worn buffer spring, but would take pile of rounds to wear one out"
- It has a brand new Geissele buffer and spring (H / H1)

"Pic of lower looks like buffer pin too high and buffer tube needs one more turn on the threads"
- This might be it! I ended up screwing the tube one more turn and it's flush with the lower now. Had to file the pin a little bit so it can still move (so I can still take the buffer and spring out if need be)

"Any signs of wear on the bottom of the BCG or the top of the pin?"
- Nope, no sign of wear on my new or old BCG

"First item to check, is the top of bolt stop slightly up to far, and slowing the bolt back down on the way forward.
To check for this, ride the charging handle back forward and see if you can feel the carrier binding on the way forward over the catch."

- No binding that I can notice

"From here with B/C out, make sure that the Forward assist pawl is retracting all the way back, and not still protruding to catch the side of the carrier."
- It's retracting properly

"With mag body alone lock in the mag well, make sure that the B/C is not biding on the back U slot of the mag as the B/C goes forward."
- No binding going on

Continues (character limit)....
Link Posted: 12/29/2020 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#12]
"Pull the buffer and recoil spring out of the tube, use a file to clean up any end of spring coil burs that may be scrapping down the inside of the tube, and take the file to the buffer bumper roll pin to make sure both end of the roll pin are flush with the surface of the buffer."
- Did this and at the same time gave the tube an extra turn and filed the pin a little bit (see previous answer)

"Could be that the top of hammer is catching the firing pin stop collar enough to slow the bolt down on forward stroke.
Here, check the top of hammer for marks, the firing pin retainer bent, and/or firing pin proud of the edge of ramp when pushed all the way forward."

- No marks on the top of the hammer and firing pin retainer is good.

"Betting it’s the buffer tube/pin. It appears to not be screwed in all the way leaving the pin proud."
- Pretty sure this is it! (see previous answers)

"You didn't say what ammo you are shooting."
- I don't shoot reloads. This has happened with 5 different types of ammo

"I had this same issue but it was on a newish gun, and newish BCG with too much lube. I use a thicker lube than most which is the SuperLube grease and sometimes the oil can spray also; and somehow the liquid oil seeped into chamber and was causing too much drag on some of my reloaded rounds."
- I lube generously, but only with Ballistol or Corrosion-X, I don't use "thick" grease

As for the bolt/bcg problems = this has happened with 3 different BCGs with completely new bolts. All DD.

Now that the tube is one more turn in and the pin is filed a little bit, I will go to the range ASAP and test if this has fixed the problem. Will report back!

-Olli
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 12:58:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Well? What was the problem?
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 4:34:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an ongoing septal bulge in my back so have to wait 1week still for some range time....:/ will report asap.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Finally got my back working again.... Went to the range twice. First time 150rds = no problem, but the second time it happened again after 90rds.... god damnit...can't seem to fix this...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#16]
What are you running for a gas block? What are the chances the gas system has got some carbon buildup restricting a little gas putting you on the low end of reliability?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What are you running for a gas block? What are the chances the gas system has got some carbon buildup restricting a little gas putting you on the low end of reliability?
View Quote

Running the gas block that came with the rifle (DD V7PRO). I didn't see any buildup with a bore scope. Any other way to inspect? I clean my rifles every single time I'm home from the range, and I clean them well :/
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:54:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Maybe bolt bounce, if so a heavier buffer may help

Or maybe your buffer spring is a little bit on the weak side. have you measured spring length?

Have you tried using other springs?

Do you find the issue to be more common when the magazine is almost full?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 5:19:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Running the gas block that came with the rifle (DD V7PRO).
View Quote

I guess my hypothesis is probably wrong. Unless I'm mistaken, the V7Pro runs a wide open block, so more likely overgassed than under. I mean, a can of brake cleaner through the gas tube  would more than likely flush out anything soluble but it's probably all for not.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:20:27 AM EDT
[#20]
So I switched my lower with a friends Noveske lower. The same problem raised it's head after about 300rds. So now I will focus all my efforts on the upper. Just to reiterate:

- BCG has been switched to a new DD BCG, no difference
- Buffer and buffer spring was switched
- Gasport has been checked with a borescope and no visible misalignment there
- No wobble movement on the gas block

any suggestions?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Got another upper you can try?  If you can run 300 rnds w/ upper B, lower A, BCG A, then you start swapping parts btwn upper B & upper A - bbl, gas block, FA, charging handle, stripped upper itself.  This is expensive troubleshooting @ $.50-1.00/rnd.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:10:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Have you checked your extractor? I seem to recall years ago replacing and extractor spring in an M4 and this suddenly becoming a problem is an otherwise historically reliable carbine. The o ring was too much and removing it solved the problem completely.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Have you checked your extractor? I seem to recall years ago replacing and extractor spring in an M4 and this suddenly becoming a problem is an otherwise historically reliable carbine. The o ring was too much and removing it solved the problem completely.
View Quote

Has a completely new extractor :(
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Got another upper you can try?  If you can run 300 rnds w/ upper B, lower A, BCG A, then you start swapping parts btwn upper B & upper A - bbl, gas block, FA, charging handle, stripped upper itself.  This is expensive troubleshooting @ $.50-1.00/rnd.
View Quote

Seems to be the last option to try I guess.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:10:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Has a completely new extractor :(
View Quote

That was when the problem arose with that M4. The new extractor spring with  o ring was too strong. Wouldn't seat over the casing rim without forward assist. Removed the o ring and it was perfect.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 2:17:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Hmm, I will try without the O-ring. Will report back!
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Removing the o-ring from the extractor didn't help, problem came back at about 100 rds....
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Removing the o-ring from the extractor didn't help, problem came back at about 100 rds....
View Quote

For under $100 (US) you can buy a bore scope. Perhaps your chamber or barrel extension will reveal something with a magnified view.
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#29]
I have actually scoped the bore and found nothing. Today I decided to try to film the failure with a GoPro at 240fps. And after MANY rounds I finally got it on film. Excuse me for my explicit language on the video, but it took a LONG to capture this :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex9KCz5ETxI

In the slow motion part of the clip it seems that I'm having bolt bounce? would you agree? also I can notice some sparks from the ejection port. Could it be that my DD is a bit over gassed? bolt bounce + sparks = too much gas?

Link Posted: 3/23/2021 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#30]
What's the ammo you're shooting and have you tried with an H2 buffer?
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 6:02:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Have not tried with a H2 buffer yet, that's my next test. I mainly shoot GGG 55gr FMJ (3,56g) and GECO 55gr FMJ (3,6g).

Link Posted: 3/27/2021 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Has this been a problem since new?

I'm running down through the things you've done and it seems that the BCG has been ruled out, unless 2 BCGs have the same problem... it's not in the lower because it occurred with a different lower as well. If there's no drag on the gas tube and the extractor isn't hanging up, I would doubledy check that the cam pin isn't somehow dicked up. The only thing I can think of beyond that is a bur on the barrel  extension that's made a lug on the bolt really tight. I might paint some bluing onto the bolt and cycle the action a few times and look for an uneven wear spot.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 7:20:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top