Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2021 3:54:08 PM EDT
Shot a match today and was having trouble w/ the bcg not going into battery.  We were in slow fire so single shot loading using a Bob Sled.

Release the bolt and more often than not the bcg would stop about 1/8 to 3/16 before full battery.  Hitting the forward assist didn't help most of the time.

I had to pull the charging back a couple of inches, just enough to keep the round from being ejected, then let it fly.  Most times it would go into battery, sometimes I had to repeat this a couple of times.  

Compass Lake barrel w/ CLE chamber.  My own reloads that function fine in another rifle that has the same chamber.  

One shooter suggested the chamber was very tight and the first time I release the bolt the shoulder on the round is getting pushed back a tiny bit hence the reason it usually chambered on the second try.  

Barrel is clean as is the chamber.  BCG also clean.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it a new build with the problem happening since the beginning? Does the BCG go into battery consistently without a cartridge? Any issues with factory ammo? I would check head space. Then check the max COAL of your chamber using the same bullet as the ones you're reloading with.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Them being reloads says it all.  Bump the shoulder back a couple of thousandths and I bet your problem goes away.  No two chambers are exactly alike, I don't care what anyone says.  I've been reloading for over 54 years and what you experienced is not at all uncommon, even for two barrels that were made on the same machinery using the same reamers and smith.  A thousandths or two of an inch difference is all you need to cause your problem if your dies are set up for minimal case sizing on the longer chamber then using the same settings for sizing ammo for the shorter chamber.  First chambering fails and on the second or third try the shoulder is bumped back enough to chamber.  Just be damned sure it is the shoulder that is being set back and not the bullet hitting the lands, which can drive the bullet deeper into the case causing pressures to skyrocket.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I am using a regular dillon resizing die and bottoming it out against the shell plate

The only way I could bump the shoulder back is to grind the bottom of the resizing die
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 9:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 4:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To add, what the leade is on one match barrel, may not be the same leade on another match barrel even from the same barrel manufacturer.

You have to come up with the Zero jump to lead distances for that barrel/with the bullet type you are using as your base line to start with, then dial in at least .003" jump to lands on a very good set up, .006" jump to lands on a iffy set up, and .009" jump to lands on a set up that will only hold the .006" distances on a good day at most.

And no, have not even touched on how concentric the set up is seating the bullet in the case to start with, that you are basing the zero jump to lands to base measurement to start with.

https://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/new-wheel-drive-concentricity-gauge/
View Quote

IM sent

@Dano523
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top