Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/29/2023 6:32:30 PM EDT
When you guys install a new extractor spring do you guys also slap in a new ejector spring? I think I have seen 5k round count as being time to put in a new extractor spring and extractor. It would make sense to put in a new ejector spring at that time.

So, what about ejector replacemnt? Extractor pin? Roll pins?

I’m in the process of stocking up on small parts and would like to have a baseline for maintenance intervals.

I gotta download a maintenance manual  ASAP.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#1]
MIL-DTL- 70599B lists the verification procedures.  (Looks like my link is dead).

CURRENT M4 TM

I don't have a set minimum round count PM schedule personally.  Clean/inspect/replace as necessary.

If I were operating daily in a 2 way range situation, I would be replacing components at a relatively low round count in order to reduce the chances of a failure. Especially on somebody else's money.
Link Posted: 5/29/2023 11:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
MIL-DTL- 70599B lists the verification procedures.  (Looks like my link is dead).

CURRENT M4 TM

I don't have a set minimum round count PM schedule personally.  Clean/inspect/replace as necessary.

If I were operating daily in a 2 way range situation, I would be replacing components at a relatively low round count in order to reduce the chances of a failure. Especially on somebody else's money.
View Quote

@TGWLDR

Downloaded the TM. Will be taking it to the Fed Ex Kinkos place near me to get it bound. I should have had this already.

As always, Tig, thank for you feeback and help. You, and others like you, are an asset to ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 5:28:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@TGWLDR

Downloaded the TM. Will be taking it to the Fed Ex Kinkos place near me to get it bound. I should have had this already.

As always, Tig, thank for you feeback and help. You, and others like you, are an asset to ARFCOM.
View Quote

Agree 100% on Tig.
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 6:28:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Happy to help.

MIL-DTL- 70599B- amendment 5

Edit: Another fail at hotlinking.

If you go here you can download it:

http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-DTL/MIL%E2%80%93DTL%E2%80%9370599B_AMENDMENT-5_56189/

Link Posted: 5/30/2023 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Happy to help.

http://everyspec.com/MIL-SPECS/MIL-SPECS-MIL-DTL/MIL%E2%80%93DTL%E2%80%9370599B_AMENDMENT-5_56189/

View Quote

Awesome! Just downloaded it.

I must say it is embarrassing to not know maintenance intervals other than 3-5k for action springs and maybe 3-5 k for extractor springs. My go to rifle has at 6k rounds and I have only changed the action spring once.

There is a lot of information to know regarding maintenance and parts info.

My BCGs are either Colt or BCM.

Once again, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/30/2023 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Can yall help me with a Youtube name, there is a guy on Youtube that went through the real nitty gritty details of BCG maintenance, he had all of the gauges, tools and go/no go gauges.  I cant recall the channel name

Thanks,

Bronc
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 10:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Can yall help me with a Youtube name, there is a guy on Youtube that went through the real nitty gritty details of BCG maintenance, he had all of the gauges, tools and go/no go gauges.  I cant recall the channel name

Thanks,

Bronc
View Quote

Thinking of the SOTAR vids?
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 1:19:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks,

Bronc

Yes that is it, thanks, @TGWLDR

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:07:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Bought a bunch of Colt ejector springs from Brownells.

Attachment Attached File

And some stuff from SAW:

Attachment Attached File

Forward Controls stuff:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 4:49:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Inspect and replace as needed.  I always put on a new complete bolt with a new barrel.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Buy Tubbs or Springco 17-7ss or chrome silicon and you'll likely never buy another.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@TGWLDR

Downloaded the TM. Will be taking it to the Fed Ex Kinkos place near me to get it bound.
View Quote

What did that cost?
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Inspect and replace as needed.  I always put on a new complete bolt with a new barrel.
View Quote

<Good advice. Save the used bolt and mark it as to make, round count, etc. for emergency use.

The US GI maintenance schedule is intended for 100% reliability in full-auto firearms. I have never had to replace any springs (even though I have lots of them in stock) even on rifles with close to 10,000 rounds through them. I never do mag dumps, the fastest I shoot is ringing gongs at close range (40 yards), some of them being as small as a couple of inches, which requires aiming.

The USAMU replaces match barrels at the 3,000 round mark, not because they are toast, but because they want the highest probability of winning at Camp Perry and the All Services matches.

The tech manuals and replacement schedules are based on a zero acceptable failure rate, not because the springs are shot. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This is (relatively) cheap insurance and preventative maintenance.

I will replace springs if I ever have issues to see if that's the cure. AR-15's are incredibly reliable rifles, even when well worn.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Also curious on cost. Still downloading so I would imagine 200+ pages.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 6:09:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Happy to help.

View Quote

The specification for the M4A1.  Find the differences between the two.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 6:18:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

<Good advice. Save the used bolt and mark it as to make, round count, etc. for emergency use.

The US GI maintenance schedule is intended for 100% reliability in full-auto firearms. I have never had to replace any springs (even though I have lots of them in stock) even on rifles with close to 10,000 rounds through them. I never do mag dumps, the fastest I shoot is ringing gongs at close range (40 yards), some of them being as small as a couple of inches, which requires aiming.

The USAMU replaces match barrels at the 3,000 round mark, not because they are toast, but because they want the highest probability of winning at Camp Perry and the All Services matches.

The tech manuals and replacement schedules are based on a zero acceptable failure rate, not because the springs are shot. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. This is (relatively) cheap insurance and preventative maintenance.

I will replace springs if I ever have issues to see if that's the cure. AR-15's are incredibly reliable rifles, even when well worn.
View Quote

The maintenance schedule for combat weapons is an inspection at 6,000 +/- a few thousand* rounds with parts replaced as necessary.

There is no set replacement interval for any part.  If you are replacing parts every 3,000 rounds, you are wasting money.

- Shoot
- Clean
- Inspect
- Repeat as necessary

Link Posted: 6/9/2023 3:42:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The maintenance schedule for combat weapons is an inspection at 6,000 +/- a few thousand* rounds with parts replaced as necessary.

There is no set replacement interval for any part.  If you are replacing parts every 3,000 rounds, you are wasting money.

- Shoot
- Clean
- Inspect
- Repeat as necessary

Quoted:
Quoted:

- Shoot
- Clean
- Inspect
- Repeat as necessary

@lysanderxiii

Thanks for chiming in.

The more I dive into the finer details of the AR platform the more I see that it is more forgiving maintenance-wise than people give it credit for.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top